Rolling Stones New Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

I love all the Stones output, including solo stuff (yes, I enjoy She's the Boss and Dirty Work).

For those not looking forward to new material, and who feel the need to crap on the Stones last 30 years of work (there's at least one in every thread)....don't listen to it if you don't like it!

2. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Not addressed to anyone in particular but I find it peculiarly arrogant when one expresses the opinion that because one has lost interest in the output of an artist, they should therefore stop producing new material.

Sean, OberonOz, enro99 and 10 others like this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'd be fine with another album of blues covers.

Sean, Bullis, jumpinjulian and 4 others like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would prefer it.

I had always hoped they would release an album of Chuck Berry covers or play a Chuck Berry tribute show and record it.

andrewskyDE, Sean, CDFanatic and 3 others like this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Dirty Work didn't excite me when it came out spring 1986. I remember hearing the hit singles on the FM radio but really didn't care at the time. I bought the lp out if being a Stones completist.

30 years later in 2016 I heard One Hit ( To The Body) on XM radio. As I listened to it I realized what a great track this is. It was like Mick and Keith were visionaries with this track. They saw its greatness when they recorded it in 1985. Something I didn't see at the time 1986.

I hope a new album of new material is released in 2019.

One Hit (To the Body)"
    [​IMG]

Sean, enro99, mark_j and 11 others like this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"Highwire" is probably in my Top 10 post '81. Such a jam, even if it rips off "Honkytonk Women."

EDIT: And the completely awesome music video featuring night-vision footage of Keith smoking-whilst-riffing is completely MIA on the Internet. Wha'happen?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Sean, The MEZ and mbrownp1 like this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can't even handle actual country people singing in that voice, let alone a bloke from London trying to do it.

It's okay when Mick sings in his normal voice..."New Faces," "Already Over Me," "Dead Flowers," etc. But a whole album of that would be exhausting and pointless.

8. walrus

I was 16 when Bridges came out and in college when A Bigger Bang happened. I knew neither was the second coming of Exile but I loved those records anyway, just because they were new Stones records, and no one else on earth, not even the Black Crowes, could make a new Stones record.

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

All the Country Mick haters conveniently ignore this total beaut:

10. walrus

Not as annoying as "Far Away Eyes," but completely forgettable. Otherwise solid solo album though.

11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

It's perplexing to me that they don't do more vault sifting to help develop new material. That worked pretty famously with Tattoo You.

Given their long history, I can't believe there aren't a few cast aside Keith riffs, Jagger one liners and half-finished tunes on tape from that aren't worth revisiting.

Maybe they are doing this, just not admitting to it.

Sean, Elliottmarx, walrus and 2 others like this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

On “Far Away Eyes” Mick is affecting the accent for comic effect. It works well.

LoveandTheft, Sean, enro99 and 7 others like this.
  13. walrus

I get that, but it's neither funny nor musically pleasant. The Stones could do many, many things, light comedy and satire weren't among them. I mean, I think a lot of country music is a joke too, but it should've been a b-side, or relegated to a throwaway compilation album. It's such a blight on what's such a killer record otherwise. Even if it was good, it'd be insanely out of place anywhere in that track listing.

14. walrus

I think they did a lot of this for the deluxe Some Girls and Exile reissues, but yeah, I'm sure there's tons of stuff leftover from less celebrated LP's that could be mined, although perhaps they don't want to bother with stuff that's already been circulating for 20+ years on bootlegs.

15. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

You do know that Far Away Eyes was the replacement country tune for Claudine, right? That was considered too controversial.

That being said, FAE is a great tune. And sorry you have such a negative sentiment towards country music in general. Keith was a huge fan and nothing I hear in the catalogue of Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard sounds like a "joke" to me.

I don't know how anyone could consider themselves a big Stones fan and not appreciate their country tunes. It's a huge part of what they do. :shrug:

LoveandTheft, Sean, The Beave and 8 others like this.
  16. Exile On My Street

I disagree. That would be taking the easy way out, for one thing, and I think Jagger prefers to challenge himself. Plus I can't imagine there being a heck of a lot of quality riffs just sitting in the can.

I feel the opposite as you, it would be perplexing to me that if they're going to release new music they would bother mining the vaults or why the fans would want that.

17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

ok there is another thread of ''mick does country" somewhere on here go there and argue about it. please? it's been done to death on these forums. kinda like the beatles lol

OldSoul likes this.
  18. walrus

I like "Sweet Virginia" and "Dead Flowers" and all that...hell, "The Worst" is one of my favorite Stones tunes...it works as long as Mick is still singing like Mick Jagger, and the music still sounds like the Stones. They're one of those bands, they could do "Dead Flowers" or "Miss You" or "One Hit To The Body" or "Just My Imagination" and still sound and feel uniquely Stones. "Far Away Eyes" is one of the ones that tries so hard to emulate something else that it doesn't retain any of the band's uniqueness...but really it's Mick's singing that absolutely makes it intolerable, and, holy hell, the half-talking verses might be the most cringe-worthy thing in their catalog.

I said "a lot of country music," not all of it (I don't really get it, it mostly sounds the same to me, but I can try to respect the greats that invented the form). Earlier (and later) attempts in this vein were successful, but "Far Away Eyes" sounds to me like a jab at the kind of lowest-common-denominator radio fodder that has always dominated the genre, particularly it's radio stations, like Mick heard "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" on the radio and was like "I can write my own joke country song!" It's dreadful.

19. Exile On My Street

I'm guessing you're not a fan of "Dear Doctor" then either.

20. walrus

It's pretty unremarkable compared to the rest of Beggar's, but I don't hate it. Mick is still singing like Mick up until that last verse, and it fits the acoustic vibe of most of the record. It's probably the weakest track on the LP though.

21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Dear Doctor is one of my favorite tracks of all time

Sean, mark_j, twicks and 4 others like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Jagger doesn't use the stupid country hick voice on Claudine so it's better.

2141 likes this.
  23. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

John, I can dig a "Black Limousine" type sound as well. Frankly, I think Woody is the key ingredient there--his guitar has that gritty, grungy pub rock Faces-vibe on that shootout with Keef, especially the solo. I hope Keef himself reads your suggestion!

- siyt

twicks likes this.
  24. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

I do get why some people are "less than fond" of "Far Away Eyes," and there are superior tracks to it on Girls, but Woody's pedal steel buys such a titanic chunk of any ugliness that may be present there.

Heh. I like to cut The Commander a sliver of slack on outings like "Dear Doctor"--after all, he's always wanted to be an actor, and he gets to indulge in that dream on tunes like "D.D." or "Far Away Eyes."

- siyt

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It puts a smile on my face every time I hear it and has done so for over 50 years.

andrewskyDE, Sean, No Bull and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.