Rolling Stones Private Concert 9/21 for Robert Kraft

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Sep 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

2. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

I'm only in it for the drink coaster.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes sir, bigger than my paydays ever were:) more power to them!

longdist01 and Rockhead like this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

When I listened to his first album, I always thought about how great it would be for him to collaborate with the Rolling Stones. Glad it finally happened...

[​IMG]

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Wow, Charlie is gonna be irreplaceable. No knocks on Jordan, he’s a great drummer, but he’s hitting too hard and his feel is too stiff. It sounds like he’s being a professional timekeeper, which is maybe what Mick and Keith asked for, but they’re totally missing the sexiness of Charlie’s style.

6. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I actually give Jordan credit for reinstating the Satisfaction beat back to the quarter-note pound on the snare drum. That's the way it was on the record, but the band has not played it that way since about 1967.

Rooster_Ties, kouzie, LSP2003 and 7 others like this.
  7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

It would be nice if a big part of their profit goes to their crew and other staff who've been out of work for the last couple years.

8. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

As a side note, Charlie Watts did not play drums in the original studio recordings of "Happy" (Jimmy Miller) or "Too Rude" (Ron Wood).

Of course, Watts did play "Happy" countless times in concert.

hutlock, Sean and jeremylr like this.
  9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

They were soooooo rebellious, y'all.

LSP2003 and TonyCzar like this.
  10. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I've never liked the live versions of "Satisfaction". It's usually played too fast and omits the subtle drums/tambourine break (no no no --- hey hey hey), which is one of the big hooks of the original version.

11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, for some reason Steve is sounding best on the early stuff (this and 19th Nervous Breakdown).

hutlock likes this.
  12. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Was waiting for that one, LOL. C'mon, they were rebellious! Public urination on a gas station wall!!!

13. zen

zen Senior Member

Sexiness? I like it.

steelinYaThighs and BeatlesBop like this.
  14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

15. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Nah, all part of the discussion.

16. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I think they do sound pretty good, and I’m sure they’ll continue, but something soulful is missing and I think when the future looks back they’ll say this is where they officially become an oldies act.

elgoodo likes this.
  17. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A million would barely cover a private show by an act like The Killers. Either Kraft doesn't think twice about the tab or he think's there's a bit of value with buttering up business partners that are present.

This was $5+mil and that's without production and 30 mins shorter than normal gigs. Same duration as other tour rehearsal shows going back to the 90's.

Stones have done shows north of $7-8 mil and the Cuba/SARS shows might have been $10 mil with some government money/participation in the mix for a tourism bump.

Alright4now likes this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Charlie is one of my favorite drummers, but after his playing style evolved into the way he'd play with the Stones for basically the last 40 or so years, he sort of adapted that same approach when they played 60's stuff, and it didn't always work. It didn't bother me per se...I never listened to live Stones to get pure recreations of studio tracks, but sometimes they'd do stuff like "The Last Time" and he'd play it with a totally different feel and I couldn't quite get into it. So I imagine one thing that will come out of it is 60's tunes (and perhaps things like "You Can't Always Get..." that were recorded with a different drummer) sounding closer in rhythmic feel to the studio cuts.

Sean, twicks, Rojo and 1 other person like this.
  20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I can’t speak for everyone else here, but I for one am happy the booking website linked includes a selection of songs these Rolling Stone men play.

I’m not laying out one to three million or whatever on a band if I am unfamiliar with any of their songs. :p

mrjinks, ATMP, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This was a particularly freaky headline, as the only "Robert Kraft" I know about is this guy:
    [​IMG]
    He produced the soundtrack album for Disney Records' Little Mermaid, and won a grammy for it. Imagine my non-surprise it was instead an uber-rich guy instead, blowing dough at somebody who performs at stadiums...for a private party. :rolleyes:

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

This "discussion" has definitely run its course.

The Beave, hutlock and intv7 like this.
  23. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

No 'Turd On The Run' no sale. Hell, I can just spin a copy of 'Hot Rocks' and save myself 3 million.

RebLhoj likes this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yes, totally agree. Interested to hear Steve's take on "Paint It Black."

walrus likes this.
  25. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Hee hee.

I see what you did there :D

Bill

steelinYaThighs and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.