Rolling Stones - Promo Album LP 1969 UK DECCA on eBay

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by James_S888, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

Seller writes pretty good copy.

You kind of answered your own question. It is this expensive BECAUSE it's so rare. Musically I wouldn't think there is any reason to grab it.

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

whats on it?

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Very cool for a Stones collector nonetheless.

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

sky's the limit... I think 100 copies is not right though, I thought there were 200 USA and 200 UK. Maybe somebody here knows for sure.

It is a rare record, for sure...

seg763 - it is tracks that weren't on Big Hits or TTPD, a deep cuts sampler for radio circa 1969.

6. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I had long ago heard that the mix of "Love In Vain" was slightly different, a dry mix without the reverb found on the final mix.

Whether that's true or not is another guess, since I don't own and have not heard this particular platter.

There's also an Australian version of this with different tracks. And buyer beware, a kazillion counterfeits of this exist out there.

7. I've heard "Love In Vain" off this album and to my ears it's the same mix as can be found on LET IT BLEED.

I think the reason "Love In Vain" is often cited as being somehow different stems from the fact that it made its first appearance on the promotional album (it pre-dated LET IT BLEED by one month).

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I once had a copy of this....sold it a long time ago, I think I got $50 for it. This was in the late 80's, but still. No eBay back then! :sigh:

I think there's supposed to be a lot of really convincing boots of this out there, I'm not sure if my copy was one or not since back then there was really no way to tell without the internet to guide you.

9. James_S888

Would be interesting to listen to it, hear how it sounds.
    Probably much the same sound as the other compilations. Apart from it says it's mono. Kind of weird, the stereo blue label, mono inner. I guess the Beggars Banquet on tracks are folddowns.

10. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

At the used record store I worked at '84-'88, we had, and sold, two copies. Both were mint and both fetched about $150 each back then..... Of course we used to sell mint paste-over Butchers for $150-$175.....

Ah, the good ole days.....

11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

My friend from high school was given a copy of this by a friend of his parents. Unfortunately, it was later destroyed in a basement flood at one of his apartments.

12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

How can you tell the difference between a fake and the real thing?

This link has a track listing.-->http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=419206

13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There are so few originals of this album, and so many boots/counterfeits, that unless you could document the provenance of the album, I would presume the copy you have is a counterfeit.

I've seen dozens of copies over the years, and only one I could be sure was genuine.

15. John Sanders

John Sanders New Member

English seller, beware the grading.

16. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

17. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just a comment--seller has over 8900 transactions and has 100% positive feedback-----not bad.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Tons of boots of this. I'm not sure how you tell an original but I'd hate to make a mistake at these prices.

19. James_S888

He's up to £1,600.00
    Which I think is about USD 2,500

Somebodys going to be happy.

How on earth can a record which sold for $100 bucks or so 15 years ago be worth that?

Given the guys feedback, this must be the real deal, not a bootleg.

20. James_S888

This is getting into territory where you can buy a decent cartridge...

21. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I bought a "EX+++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LP from him about 8 years ago that had a nice, skip-causing gouge on it. He refunded the purchase price, but not postage and from Japan it wasn't exactly cheap. And it only takes once to teach me about the way a seller grades.

Dale

22. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I'm Bidder 6!:wave:

23. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

DG----Why didn't you post feedback??? --8900 positive transactions @100% is an incredible #. Not many stores/dealers/collectors etc can attain a rating that high with that volume. Anyone can miss a problem but its how they handle the refund, replacement, and in your case he should have covered the shipping for complete satisfaction.

24. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope for your sake you lose. This part of the descrip should shout, "BE AFRAID. BE VERY AFRAID":

"The record must grade Very Good++++ if not better!!!! BRILLIANT RECORD!!!! Believe me this record is NOT overgraded in ANY way!!!!"

Where the description reads "Very Good++++", think "VG+" and hope that it really is that. Where it reads "Believe me this record is NOT overgraded in ANY way!!!!" add "except with regard to the condition of the vinyl."

Someone on the forum recently bought a UK mono Dylan Blonde On Blonde for $200 or so and admitted something like "it wasn't really in as good a condition as I thought it would be."

Dale

25. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I knew I wasn't going to come close to winning with my bid. I sometimes bid on stuff that's going to sell for an outlandish amount & won't come close to winning just to follow the auction. Actually I have won an LP from this dealer before & it was an accurate description. It was the Golden Guinea pressing of the Kinks first album. The only thing he didn't mention in his description was that the vinyl weighs more than 200 grams. Wasn't a bad price either (under $30)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.