Rolling Stones - Promo's, Demo's & Acetates!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by All Down The Line, Oct 13, 2019.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

Warm Greetings to all,
    Iam wanting to hear and or see your postings of:

Rolling Stones - Promo's, Demo's, Test Pressings, Acetates, DJ Copies, Advanced Pressings etc on the vinyl format & discuss them.

Iam somewhat less interested in the more common "Designated" Promo's that in effect are essentially stock vinyl copies that may have post production stickers or hand stamps on their labels or jackets.
    An exception would be UK pressings as it is very uncommon to find these on LP's on Decca or Rolling Stones Records.

Ok let's Start It Up!

Sean, hi_watt, btltez and 1 other person like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Promo of Before They Make Me Run. Stereo on one side unique Mono mix on the other
    [​IMG]

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

I will start in the USA.

I have 7 of the 8 Promo only 7" E.P's
    namely being:

12 x 5 (with 1 jukebox label)

Out Of Our Heads (In shrink with 5 jukebox labels & 1 mini album photo plus a spare vinyl EP for swaps)

Decembers Children (In shrink with 4 jukebox labels & 5 mini album photos)

Their Satanic Majesties Request
    (Sadly record only & no cover for this the rarest one of the lot!)

Exile On Main Street (with 10 jukebox labels)

Goats Head Soup (with 10 jukebox labels)

Love You Live (No jukebox labels issued that iam aware of & this is the only EP issued in a non cardboard paper cover like their domestic 7" 45 singles)

No Rolling Stones Now! as yet.

Apologies I can't upload photos!

hi_watt, Spadeygrove, btltez and 4 others like this.
  4. All Down The Line

Classy cover and a nice item there, just checked mine and both sides run 3:23.
    Many thanks for posting!

hi_watt, Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Does this count?

7 inch vinyl She Was Hot/I Think I'm Going Mad

[​IMG]

6. All Down The Line

That UK picture single from 84' is getting scarcer though is not a promo nor am i aware of any.
    Now if anyone can find a copy where the tongue shape has been uncut that has value!

hi_watt and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The A side is a unique stereo remix that has appeared nowhere else. I own this, the Live You Live EP, and the Exile On Main Street flexi.

hi_watt, KeninDC, btltez and 4 others like this.
  8. All Down The Line

Thank you for that information & nice you also have the UK Exile On Main Street Flexi that was given away with an issue of the NME newspaper in April 1972.
    N.b. It predated Exile On Main Street & The Tumbling Dice single and interestingly had a B side that was shared by 2 artists being Fanny & Curved Air.

9. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

It just happens that I have most of my 45s handy for a change! :) I've got a few Stones promos:

In Another Land/The Lantern - orange London label, A-side credited to Bill Wyman, B-side to The Rolling Stones.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg - mono/stereo (white/blue labels)

She's So Cold - G*d D*mn Version/Cleaned Up Version (both labels blue)

Run Rudolph Run - mono/stereo (white/blue labels)

Love You Live - 7" EP promo picture disc.

Exile On Main St - jukebox EP on Atlantic, black label.

I'm pretty sure I also have a mono/stereo White Lightnin' somewhere but it wasn't in with the others.

If I can get to my albums I'll post some more, I know I've got some 12-inch promos.

10. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

1969 extremely rare radio promo album. 200 copies in the US on London 200 copies in the UK on Decca. Quite why there were so many UK copies when the BBC was a virtual monopoly is a mystery.
    [​IMG]

11. All Down The Line

Great please do!
    Funnily enough the only Stones promo I don't have from your selection is She's So Cold!

hi_watt and Culpa like this.
  12. All Down The Line

That sir is one legendary and pricy album.
    I believe all jackets were pressed in the States and the records in their respective countries.
    The Decca album is in mono despite very uniquely having blue and not red labels!
    Be very wary anyone trying to purchase this as there are many forgeries, some of which were made this century though they should be the easiest to spot.
    The idea of this LP was to supply DJ's with an LP to compliment the bands two Greatest Hits albums in the lead up to and during their US 69' tour.

13. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Please can anyone tell me whether the (mono?) promo of Happy is a dedicated mix? I think it's the only Atlantic-era track I've yet to find.

14. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I picked one of those up in late '70s or early '80s, but not an original, mine is either a counterfeit or an import.

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

No imports then aside from The Australian version issued a decade later (79'-80') and with a different tracklisting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

There was a 4 track jukebox EP from Goats Head Soup. 7" single running at 33 rpm.
    Atlantic had complained about the track Star Star from when they first heard it. They wanted the song dropped. They changed the title. They wanted a remix to bury some of the lyrics. They insisted the Stones get a letter from Steve McQueen saying he wouldn't sue.
    So when Atlantic produced the jukebox EP what song was included? Star Star of course! :laugh: Not only that but it was side 1 track 1!!:eek:

17. All Down The Line

And guess what Angie was omitted!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

That’s one of my favourite images of the Stones on that cover. The album itself has always been too pricy for me sadly. But, rather than a counterfeit I’ve got The Australian Decca comp that has pretty much the same cover art. Different track listing though. The original has about twenty tracks on it doesn’t it? How can that be? Are they excerpts or brutal edits?

19. All Down The Line

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  20. All Down The Line

@Tom Wabe
    Please see my above post.
    Somehow I have answered your queries inside your own quotation space which would be easy not to expand and therefore miss reading.
    Many Thanks!

Tom Wabe likes this.
  21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I have this one too. It rocks.
    I always thought the B side mono was a fold down. Is that at dedicated mix?

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

You're kidding. I never noticed.
    I did think it sounded better, more present and direct than the album cut.
    Have to play it.
    I love this one.

23. All Down The Line

I had always assumed so but good point!

24. Jack

Jack Senior Member

That Love You Live pic disc is a bootleg.

25. All Down The Line

Yes you are correct though Iam actually talking about the US Promo on black vinyl in a paper picture sleeve.