Rolling Stones - Promo's, Demo's & Acetates!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by All Down The Line, Oct 13, 2019.

1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Not quite. Alternate Stereo Mix on side 1. Mono Fold on side 2.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

Much obliged for your clarification!

MHP likes this.
  3. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Ah, okay. So the Love You Live pic disc is a boot (the back looks great though). I can't find my She Was Hot pic disc, so that one is official, but not a promo, is that right?

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

One fades and the other stops cold. I forget now which was which.

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

Correct.

Culpa likes this.
  6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have a few Stones promo things, mostly CDs, but I have this. Not my pic, my copy is worn but the label is no too bad.
    [​IMG]

stonesstein, hi_watt, KeninDC and 5 others like this.
  7. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

I think my ' Limited Edition Collectors Item' LP isn't one from the box set - got it used on ebay from Australia... mine has a red label.

8. All Down The Line

According to Christoph Maus the red label was issued as a stand alone in 79' & the blue in the box set in 80'.
    I would take this as a guide and believe surplus copies went into boxes also & bear in mind Mr Maus is not even aware of the green label variation.
    Lastly I saw a number of these in the wild at fairs in the 90's onward & on eBay from 05' on and I will tell you that boxes were split up and sold plenty of times whether to make more money, move the item in the first instance or due to box damage or loss.
    Hmm....... Nobody's mentioned the uncommon T-Shirt yet!

9. All Down The Line

In Australia Stones Promo singles on Decca from 1964 through 1967 were denoted solely by circular red dot or "bullet" stickers.

From 1968 - 1976 Ten actual Advance copies were pressed up with large "A" labels more in line with say UK releases.
    I have each of them and will list them here:

* Denotes "A" side overprinting on each label when naturally deemed a double A side.

Jumpin' Jack Flash/Child Of The Moon

Street Fighting Man/No Expectations

*Honky Tonk Women/You Can't Always Get What You Want

Memo From Turner/Natural Magic
    (Mick Jagger Promo Single)

Little Queenie/Love In Vain

Street Fighting Man/Surprise, Surprise/Everybody Needs Somebody To Love 33 1/3 RPM
    Printed Release Date 12-8-71

Sad Day/Sittin' On The Fence
    Printed Release Date 7.6.73

I Don't Know Why/Try A Little Harder
    Printed Release Date 17/6/75

Out Of Time/Jiving Sister Fanny
    Printed Release Date 1.12.75

*Honky Tonk Women/Sympathy For The Devil

N.b. Stock copies were issued of each title

10. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I've always been amused by this, the bonus single with the 'Rest of the Best' 4LP box set issued by Teldec (German Decca) in 1984.
    It is a one-sided single on black vinyl, with blank labels and a plain white sleeve, but if you have the box set with it included it increases the value of the set tenfold.

The Rolling Stones - Schoolboy Blues

11. All Down The Line

The German box set first came out in 1983 and in early 84' to increase sales the CS Blues single was issued with the 4LP box.
    Apparently UK Decca swiftly had the single withdrawn so no wonder it is hard to locate but I managed to find one on it's lonesome.
    N.b. I am not at all convinced (unlike Discogs) that this should actually be called test pressing!

stonesstein and JohnS like this.
  12. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

"Jagger; Phelge". :laugh:

13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

My copy did not include the single. It was nice to finally have "Natural Magic" on a Stones LP though! :)

14. All Down The Line

It is actually not even a Mick Jagger solo track despite being the flipside of Memo From Turner.

15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Yeah, there were a couple of oddball tracks on that box set, including IIRC a bootleg track and an Oldham orchestra track or two. But seriously, it was essential (for me) at the time for Con Le Mie Lacrime and the crowd-less version of I've Been Loving You Too Long.

All Down The Line and JohnS like this.
  16. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I read an article in Record Collector in about 1986 describing Stones' compilations, and that was the first I heard about the box set (and the bonus single). When it said the track 'Tell Me (2nd Version)' was actually the Chess Studios outtake 'Tell Me Baby, How Many Times' I just had to track down a copy. How that long-bootlegged track slipped through Decca's net (while the bonus single didn't) was a mystery, but I'm very glad it did.
    I'd never heard the song - neither Muddy Waters' original nor the Stones cover - and despite the rough and scratchy sound quality (sourced from an acetate, or probably a vinyl boot?!) I think it's a great tune. I managed to order a copy of the box set through my local Virgin Records shop (<-- sigh, cue misty-eyed reflective gaze) and even though I was slightly disappointed I missed out on the bonus single, I loved the whole set and it got played a lot
    Since then I've found out there actually ARE two versions of 'Tell Me' from the first LP. I wonder if the box set compilers were on to this in 1983, but someone slipped up and sourced the 'wrong' song. With very satisfying results.

17. All Down The Line

Yes there were some gap fillers for sure.

18. All Down The Line

Must assume the title used didn't alarm Decca UK the way CS Blues alternately would clearly be a red flag.

JohnS likes this.
  19. James Wilkinson

James Wilkinson New Member

a client of mine asked if this was of any value . It was her husbands.. he got rid of his vinyl collection but kept this . He though it was an EP.

20. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

Before They Make Run promo has some alternate lyrics. It is it's own cut.
    Tell Me Baby (How Many Times) only appeared on that box set. It is a different track to Tell Me.
    There are different versions of Tell Me have been mentioned on one or more of these threads but I won't go off topic.
    On topic, my question is, Is that very 1st short version of Tell Me (2:51) on the 1st UK LP a demo version or an alternate version on a demo copy of that LP?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  21. All Down The Line

IIRC one of the Stones said Tell Me was a demo.
    Tip: If you are looking to find the rare version on an original UK LP your B side matrix will need to read 1A or 2A!

Aftermath likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

I got lucky some months back and found a US Jukebox 7" of The Rolling Stones Now with both jacket and sleeve.
    Item was only VG- to VG but for $30 who would care!

Spadeygrove and Ash76 like this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"The Singles Collection -- The London Years"
    6-Track Promo CD (abkco, 1989)
    "For Radio Play Only -- Not For Sale"

I Don't Know Why (aka Don't Know Why I Love You)
    Brown Sugar
    The Spider And The Fly
    She's A Rainbow
    Paint It, Black
    Stoned

Also a really unique CD:
    "ABC Radio Networks -- Rolling Stones 19 Greatest Radio Hits"
    "For Broadcast Only -- Not For Sale"
    (no year listed)
    As the title suggests, big Stones hits (Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, Paint it Black, Brown Sugar, Get Off of My Cloud, etc.)

"Sticky Fingers"
    (Promo reissue -- late 70's ??) LP
    Gold “For Promotion Only” stamp
    on Back Cover
    Hype sticker on Front Cover

I also have a UK White Decca Label LP
    "Their Satanic Majesty's Request"

but it doesn't have any Promo wording, so I don't know if it's a Promo or just a rare label

If anyone's interested in any of these, PM me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  24. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

25. All Down The Line