Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkydrummer

funkydrummer Forum Resident

I have never rated it either. Little more than a throwaway jam IMO. I found it boring as a bootleg track let alone an official one.

I, for one, am glad it was left off. I'd rather have Indian Girl...which is saying something. There is a bunch of stuff from that period that I would have put ahead of Claudine (err, and Indian Girl for that matter)...We Had it All and Let's Go Steady are two that immediately come to mind - even though they are covers.
    Oh well - it is interesting to hear what other people like, I guess diversity of opinion and connecting with different sections of the audiences is what longevity is all about.

2. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I can understand hearing “Claudine” as just a jam. After all, musically it consists of the same repeated shuffle with no chord changes. But this is a case where the lyrics and vocal really make a difference to me. In many ways, I see it as the Stones doing a variation on Bob Dylan’s “Hurricane”, another song about a real person, though in this case, the song suggests Claudine Longet got away with murder (she was convicted of a lesser crime but served only thirty days and she only served those on selected weekends). The final verse, to me, is one of Mick’s best (“Prettiest girl I ever seen, went to see you on the movie screen, I hope you never make a sacrifice of me, Claudine, don’t get too trigger happy with me, Claudine - itchy fingers”). The way Mick stretches out the word me, he is clearly doing his Bob Dylan imitation just as he did on the song “Some Girls” and I just find that wickedly funny so I like it for reasons beyond its musical qualities.

Larry Geller, Sean, Davido and 2 others like this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

So, who's ready for the Dirty Work discussion?:D As soon as we're wrapped up here I'm gonna get cracking on it...

Sean, bonus, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  4. funkydrummer

funkydrummer Forum Resident

An impassioned defence - but as you say, a one chord shuffle - and it just wears out its welcome for me...very quickly...Still if I encounter in the future, I will take stock of your assessment. :)

stereoptic and stewedandkeefed like this.
  5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got five singles left to cover in this thread. We should wrap up on Tuesday, but you can start up the Dirty Work thread whenever you're ready! I'll be there.

Today we have the lead single from GRRR!, the 50th anniversary compilation released in multiple formats.

Doom and Gloom (2012)

NOTE: There is a great music video starring Noomi Rapace for this song, but it has some female toplessness in it so I posted the lyric video here instead. It's on YouTube.

[​IMG]
    Released: 10/11/2012
    Charts: #61 (UK); #30 (US Rock); #10 (US Triple A)

"Doom and Gloom" is the lead single taken from GRRR!, the 50th anniversary compilation album by The Rolling Stones. It was premiered on BBC Radio 2 on 11 October 2012. The song's recording marked the first time that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood had been in the studio together for seven years, since completing their 2005 album A Bigger Bang.[1] A lyric video was released on YouTube the same day.[2]

The song charted at #61 on the UK Singles Chart, #26 on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 and #30 on the Billboard Rock Songs chart in October 2012.

Rolling Stone named "Doom and Gloom" the eighteenth best song of 2012.[3]

The song was played in the end credits to A Good Day to Die Hard.

Personnel[edit]
    Additional musicians[edit]

Sean, ohnothimagen, Davido and 2 others like this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Doom and Gloom
    I really like this one a lot. In some ways, sure, it's just another Stones rocker but I think it's got a lot of character and it stands out. A good riff, lots of energy and those amazing gonzo lyrics...

Crash landed in a Louisiana swamp
    Shot up a horde of zombies but I come out on top

I mean, it sounds like Mick was just having a ball when he wrote this one. I think it was a great single for the GRRR! project and I like it even better than "Don't Stop," which served a similar purpose at the 40th anniversary. It's a lot of fun and a great piece of rock and roll from a bunch of guys who've been doing this for half a century. I say, great job guys!

The MEZ and superstar19 like this.
  7. stewedandkeefed

"Doom And Gloom" is a decent single in my view. It was a short four minute reminder of what the Rolling Stones were all about. In my market, it got played with some regularity on rock n roll radio so it served its purpose in attracting attention to the band. I remember my daughter speaking in positive terms about this single because she found it pretty cool that a band made up of 70 year olds could still command a certain amount of attention. This single also heralded the band's return to the road after a five year absence in celebration of the band's fiftieth anniversary. And for me, it meant I could see the Stones with Mick Taylor as a guest. I only went to one show (got Lucky Dip tickets and got upgraded to prime seats) but it was a great show (it was also a "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'?" show) and they performed both "Doom And Gloom" and "One More Shot". It's not anywhere near their top tier of singles in my view but it's a pretty good dose of rock n roll from one of the most important rock n roll bands of all time.

The MEZ, Sean, pablo fanques and 3 others like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Doom And Gloom - One of the better recent rockers. The lyrics are about a plan crash in the swamp and they always make me think of Lynyrd Skynyrd when listening to the track. I like this better by far than any of the new tracks on Forty Licks. They shot a promo video for the track and it seems to have become a live favorite of the Stones among their more recent tracks. There are also some alternate mixes of Doom And Gloom.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    The MEZ, Sean, funkydrummer and 3 others like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A solid number and yes serving a very similar purpose to Don't Stop on 40 Licks.
    Mick does these new songs live with great energy and passion so they stand up to scrutiny with all songs in their respective current set lists. Great choice of Noomi Rapace for the video, edgy and alternative unlike the gas station lass in the clip from the Blue and Lonesome single.
    Speaking of which i would have loved to have been able to buy their most recent singles in 7" and not only 10" form.

The MEZ and Parachute Woman like this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Doom And Gloom - Another great rockin' single. Great guitars, great vocals and rhythm section. STONES.

The MEZ, Sean and Parachute Woman like this.
  13. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

What a cool song! I watched the lyric video, and the entire time, I thought of the irony of the Rolling Stones having a lyric video. Considering that people still debate whether the lyric in "Satisfaction" is "girl reaction" (what the official lyrics say) or "girlie action" (a common [mis]interpretation) 50-plus years after that iconic single first entered the nation's airwaves and never left them, and that so few Stones albums have lyric sheets, the lyric video removes all the mystery...

The lyrics are wonderfully absurd, but in the end, the solution to the "doom and gloom" is right there: "Baby, won't you dance with me?" I can't dance very well, thus I rarely get on the floor, but those times when I do, it's almost impossible to feel down any more. The music itself helps, too. It's not as obvious as "Miss You" and "Emotional Rescue," but "Doom and Gloom" has a good beat, and you can dance to it.

"Doom and Gloom" made at least five different Billboard charts. The peaks (and I hope I don't invert any numbers this time):
    -- #35 on Mainstream Rock Tracks, the Stones' first appearance on that chart in seven years
    -- #30 on Top Rock Tracks, the combined Mainstream/Alternative/Triple A chart
    -- #10 on the Triple A chart
    -- #17 on the Digital Rock Tracks chart, a download sales chart
    -- #10 on Hot 100 Singles Sales, based on yet another Record Store Day one-off

This marked the fourth time since the invention of RSD that the Stones released a single in conjunction. "Plundered My Soul" and "No Spare Parts" had preceded it, along with a first-time-in-the-States issue of the "Brown Sugar"/"Bitch"/"Let It Rock" 45. For the Black Friday version in 2012, "Doom and Gloom" came out as, of all things, a one-sided 10-inch single with a custom cover and a 50th Anniversary etching on the blank side. It was limited to 1,500 copies, which likely is why it only got to #10 on the sales chart. Its catalog number is Universal Music 3723278, and it contains the 4:07 Jeff Bhasker Mix. On average, recent completed eBay sales show this selling for an average of $20.

Promo CD-R singles are quite scarce, but there are at least two of them in the U.S. One, the more common version, has a front and back insert and came in a jewel case. It features the 4:08 Radio Mix on it. Another one, which wasn't on Discogs at the time I posted this but was found in the eBay completed sales list, contains the 4:58 Benny Benassi Remix. I can't find any evidence that the Jeff Bhasker Mix is on a U.S. promo, but it does appear on a European promo CD.

Sean and Parachute Woman like this.
  14. tim_neely

The peak position on Singles Sales was #11. Maybe I should cut and paste!

15. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Love "Doom and Gloom" - now this is a riff! Sounds so familiar from the opening chord that it must obviously be cribbed from another Stones classic but I've yet to figure it out... I enjoy the puzzle to this day. Clever and goofy lyrics with the basic rocknroll conceit: baby, won't you dance with me? Some things are eternal and it's embodied in this tune. I did seek out a physical single of the song (I just don't get into owning these massive compilations when I already have the material) and have never been able to track Doom and Gloom down. But I'll keep looking.

The MEZ, Sean and Parachute Woman like this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Not gonna steal yer thunder, so Tuesday it shall be! Get ready, people!:D

I admit I much preferred "One More Shot" but "Doom And Gloom" ain't bad, it's a little less "Stones-by-the-numbers" than usual.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

Looks like we are about to go from One Shot to One Hit. My brother in law just got his 1st copy of DW so i may ask him for a review, being from a fresh set of ears and all. I hope the thread is enjoyed by everyone and no one is left saying; Ohnonothimagain.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

Sorry smiley was missing

19. Parachute Woman

Next we have the second single from the GRRR project:

One More Shot (2013)

[​IMG]
    Released: 1/1/2013
    Charts: #74 (UK Airplay); #13 (US Heritage Rock)

"One More Shot" is the second single taken from GRRR!, the 50th anniversary compilation album by The Rolling Stones. It was premiered on BBC Radio 6 Music on 8 Nov 2012. The song marks the first time that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood have been in the studio together for seven years, since the recording of their last album, A Bigger Bang.[1][2] An official audio video was released on YouTube the same day.[3] On 9 January 2013, "One More Shot" was released as a single on iTunes packaged with a remix of the song done by Jeff Bhasker.[4]

The song charted at #74 on the UK Airplay Chart, #13 on the Billboard Heritage Rock in 2013.[a]

Personnel[edit]
    Additional musicians[edit]

The MEZ, Sean, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  20. Parachute Woman

One More Shot
    It was my father-in-law who told me that there would be two new songs on the GRRR package. I remember how excited I was to get more brand new Stones material. I was looking forward to a new album by them (still am!) but this was a nice way to tide us over. As such, I think I would have liked the songs no matter what they were. I'm a forgiving fan, like that. :D I like "Doom and Gloom" a bit more, but "One More Shot" is a really nice midtempo rocker with cool piano from Chuck and some nice lead work from Ronnie as well. It just sounds like a tight band playing a nice little groover. I've heard people say that it sounds like "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC, but I've never heard that. Do any of you hear that? It's just enjoyable for me to hear them play together at this point!

The MEZ, Sean, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  21. All Down The Line

To my ears the intro of guitar and drums sounds in several respects like Street Fighting Man and then I hear bits of sad sad sad before jagger goes into the "Gimme One More Shot" actual lyric whereby the guitars hint at ACDC's You Shook Me All Night Long. I don't think it is a bad track but to me it sounds very derivative during these moments. Hope I am no spoiling it for big supporters but it is filler to me.

Sean, D.B., Zack and 1 other person like this.
  22. All Down The Line

Parachute Woman, I wrote my post before reading your one that mentioned you had heard that You Shook Me All Night Long Connection.....Gotta be something in that!

D.B. and Parachute Woman like this.
  23. stewedandkeefed

I would have to say that “One More Shot” is a step down from “Doom Ang Gloom” in terms of the quality of the song. I definitely hear the “Street Fighting Man” reference in the intro. It’s an okay song but the hook isn’t as strong as the one in “Doom And Gloom”. It still sounds like the good old Rolling Stones though and that’s good enough for me. When I saw them in 2013 they did the two new songs back to back and it presented the modern Rolling Stones as part of the show. I suppose “One More Shot” is a bit generic but that can happen when you’re making a single in your fiftieth year as a band.

D.B. and Parachute Woman like this.
  24. tim_neely

"One More Shot" at first reminded me of a slightly slower, inferior remake of "Mixed Emotions." The next thing I noticed is that it might be the shortest Rolling Stones single since "Hang Fire"; it's under three minutes long. I didn't hear the AC/DC connection, but I try not to think of AC/DC unless I have to. :)

Yet another chart makes its first, and last, appearance in the world of the Stones, "Heritage Rock." It was a chart that Radio & Records started in 2007 to go along with another one it started called "Active Rock." When Billboard folded R&R in 2009, it took both of these charts and added them to the surviving magazine. It then ended both charts in November 2013, because the Active Rock and Mainstream Rock lists had become almost identical, and the number of so-called Heritage Rock stations dropped to fewer than 250 in the entire U.S. "Heritage Rock" seems like a nebulous term, but I think it means "a classic rock station that, perhaps once an hour or late at night, plays the periodic new song by acts on its otherwise ossified playlist."

As far as I can tell, there are no physical singles, commercial or promo, of "One More Shot." The stock single was an iTunes download with both the album mix and the Jeff Bhasker Mix.

Sean, superstar19, D.B. and 1 other person like this.
  25. Zack

Zack Senior Member

It's also got a healthy dose of Take It So Hard in there. with a smattering of Rough Justice.

Sean and D.B. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.