Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

Like Satisfaction and Keith 'dreaming' of the horns from Nowehere To Run, the stones borrow again from Motown by copping the essentials of the melody to My World Is Empty Without You for PIB.

2. Pinstripedclips

Brian played the main 12 string slide on this. He also played it live when they played the song during 1966 US tour. There are two guitars playing the line on the studio recording, so maybe Keith played one of them.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

How wonderful that you heard the music growing up and your father passed his vinyl to you. You could collect 7" a bit at a time and save money by buying 'lots' with multiple titles. I began buying Stones records in 82' and have 550+ LP's & 800+ 7" s records and i never would have imagined that was possible. I plan on leaving my records to my young children, i hope they appreciate as much as you did! To me there is absolutely no irony in saying the Stones ARE a way of life!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Parachute Woman likes this.
  4. Pinstripedclips

Another superb cover!

5. Pinstripedclips

Killer single! Brian only plays organ on LSTNT. That he played piano on Ruby likely, footage available of him playing it at hom on piano which matches up with what is heard on the record. but often debated. Jack was possibly present at the session, but no one in the band has ever said he played piano on Ruby, which seems odd given they have commented plenty of times about LSTNT.

A 2nd piano, I think a tack piano, comes in on the chrous of Ruby, so maybe Brian played the main one and Jack the tack piano.

Anyway, beautiful double A side single and the last single by the band before the **** hits the fan between Brian - Anita - Keith and band relations are suddenly and drastically changed. No more hanging out at Brian's. Courtfield Road home.

Brian supposedly wanted to leave the band around that time, but Mick talked him out of it.

For me the version without any vocals is just as effective if not more so than the official release. Maybe due to Brian's recorder being so melodic, it works as a piece of music without the vocal melody/lyrics.

Possibly my absolute favourite thing by The Rolling Stones.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Aftermath and All Down The Line like this.
  6. Pinstripedclips

It's quite easy to play, it just sounds nice. He shown playing it at home with some intentional glances at the camera. A sign he was proud of his contribution to the song?

7. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

Yes. He folded the sleeve, not the record:), and I bought the sleeve.

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. All Down The Line

Wow that is the holy grail you have there if original and you can ask your own price!

Mosthaf likes this.
  9. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

You might find it interesting to learn that you’ve got a sibling, or maybe doppelgänger, in the Fatherland

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

I‘m going to keep it, of course, until the day I sell or give away my entire collection. I think it‘s original, I’m 99% sure, although I didn’t ask the secret service for a forensic expertise. I’ve been burnt before, and I’m pretty good a recognising a fake when I see one.

11. All Down The Line

So glad to hear a fan of 54 years is one of the owners of this museum piece! I recall once hearing a figure of 12 known copies but that is probably higher? I had also heard a claim that there were assumed to be around 60 copies in circulation! I am closing in on 40 years of Stones fandom and my Holy Grail's 1: UK Mono Export 1966 Have you seen your mother, live (maybe 200 pressed) 2: French EP Get off of my cloud 1971 with live Olympia 66' cover shot. (rarest Stones record pressed in France) 3: UK Mono Export 1967 Flowers. (They are far and away almost always stereo if you can find one, europe had largely abandoned Mono by then)

12. All Down The Line

Great album but some horrific fake stereo especially Come on.

13. All Down The Line

In hindsight having the willing participants legally underage at 15 cannot have pleased all female listeners surely?

14. All Down The Line

Yes bizarrely in 1966 but considering that fact (n.o.5) it is pretty scarce, also i have never sighted the sheet music either. It may not have helped that a local act did a possibly better version of the song also?

15. All Down The Line

What was your town in 73?

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

and Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs also covered Poison Ivy.
    • Poison Ivy/Broken Things – June 1964 (AU #3)

Sean and All Down The Line like this.
  17. All Down The Line

Exactly the late Billy Thorpe, plus i think a group called the Throb did a similar cover also John.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, the Throb covered Fortune Teller.

19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Boston/southern NE.

20. All Down The Line

How did the track chart in 73 with no single 7"?

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It was a single AFAIK. If it wasn't then there was some success with a plan to have AM stations play the LP cut howeever they did it. Maybe it was a rare AM LP track that got played. Hot Rocks had a single from it which def charted, YCAGWYW.

22. All Down The Line

Yes the A side was Sad Day though no?

23. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I looked at my Joel Whitburn and if it existed it didn't hit the top 100. Maybe it was just a hip dj or two who wanted to spin a stones song from MHR. It was on AM radio though. It very well could have been a little grease from Abkco. Any experts know if there was a single from More Hot Rocks? Sad day wasn't on MHR though.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sad Day was a single from the U.K. No Stone Unturned lp. It had a few tracks that had appeared on lp in the U.K. on it. You Can't Always Get What You Want was the b-side of Sad Day.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  25. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

According to whitburn a US London (910 ) single made #44 in 1973. It was YCAGWYW but is also subtitled the "B side of Honky Tonk Women" I never had a copy. Was it overstock from 1969?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.