Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They should stick to what they do best.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have always loved Angie and never tire of the acoustic opening, majestic piano, strings, several distinct chord patterns that all work a charm and That Jagger vocal that never annoys me.
    @KeninDC once defiantly said it was AMC gold..........at the least me thinks!
    Silver Train is fun but little more.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe they played him a demo of the song and he asked to record it for his comeback album. His version came out a few months before the Stones version in 1973 but the Stones supposedly began to work on the song years earlier.

Sean and All Down The Line like this.
  4. All Down The Line

Hi Tim,
    What is the story with the rarer Stones promo's that did not denote the band name at the top of the label or carry the Tongue Logo?
    I have Heartbreaker and Fool To Cry like this from SP.
    At label top it says Title: and then under the centre hole Artist:
    What’s the deal please, I know these blanks were used for other artists too.
    (I may need to PM you to get all the 70's US 7" bags in the right order.)

5. All Down The Line

I cannot see this in my country John, could you kindly tell me what it is ?

6. All Down The Line

I always liked the wah wah, clavinet and horn chart here and the live funked up London 73' recording is it's pinnacle!
    What a shame a fine song like Heartbreaker was not one of the 3 promo clips made especially in light of it becoming the albums second single!
    Mick was quite taken with Mr D and it's "clever" lyrics which he betrays in an on camera 73' film interview which I think is from the OGWT?
    Fine but Heartbreaker deserved a clip and Silver Train or Mr D could have made way if 3 were all they would film.

Mr D is a neat groove and great fun on LP but live is usually found wanting, and don't think it was an accident that it was dropped for 4 decades.
    There is one quite good version (likely Brussels) where the tempo is right and it inspires Taylor to inject some energy to get some band tension happening but otherwise live in 73' it is nowhere near being a highlight and not a little forced.

Our OP was spot on that the ballads are the heart and soul of the album.

7. All Down The Line

Bill Wyman says to Mick Jagger in Rewind 1984 while discussing the bands video's: "We did one that was quite camp didn't we!"

8. All Down The Line

I loved this when I first heard it on the radio around 1980 and my position has not changed.
    I was surprised to learn over time that it seems to get a mixed reception among music fans.
    The verses are cool and the chorus' repetitive though iconic.
    Why did they keep the original rhythm track with non Stones members Willie Weeks & Kenny Jones?
    Clearly because they could not better the feel.
    I like Mick's delivery and Keith's gritty Chuck Berry-isms are overlooked perhaps through over familiarity.
    I think on 40 Licks (If not other compilations also) the final minute is edited out which is a bummer as some cool stuff is happening there.
    Back to that taught but loose studio groove, the Stones almost never capture the right groove live so it sounds like a half baked Berry approximation but boy I dig the original.
    The B side is pleasant and it has been rumoured that Jimmy Page may have played some guitar on it but I never heard any proof of it.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

Yes I think it has been said before by Taylor at least that from post the 72' US tour through late 74' there was a lot of worsening interband tensions.

10. All Down The Line

Emotional Rescue was destroyed with a dreadful new edit on 40 Licks!

Fox67 likes this.
  11. All Down The Line

Interestingly Andrew Oldham was asked what the Stones last anthem was and he said: "It's Only Rock "n" Roll!"
    I cannot recall the date of the maga zine but the best I can recall is the beginning of the 80's.

12. All Down The Line

Curiously Ron was a bit tired and I don't even think it was his anniversary!

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

Purple Jim is spot on and it is staring us in the face.
    There is renewed energy and vitality in B&B & SG.
    I like It's Only Rock "n" Roll but there is an autopilot thing going on despite any songwriting merits.

Fox67, Parachute Woman and Purple Jim like this.
  14. All Down The Line

Completely agree with @Parachute Woman re her summation of their 74' & 76" studio LP's.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

That is a fair opinion if one does not like the stylistic/genre changes but they now sounded fully awake and Bill didn’t seriously consider following Taylor out the door which Mick had said he felt like doing in 74!

16. All Down The Line

Yes I forgot to write that.
    The Stones knew to not to make a Son Of IORR for their own good.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

Love your first paragraph, you get the obvious including being good for their career.

D.B. likes this.
  18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Those were advance promos. One level past a test pressing but not quite the "real" promos, those were made to get an important new record into the hands of key accounts (usually major radio stations) quickly. The Atlantic Group did that a lot, especially in the 1970s. Most of these, as you note, originated from SP (Specialty), which, by the 1970s, had become Atlantic's favorite pressing plant (it was bought outright by WEA in 1979).

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

I enjoy Ain't Too Proud To Beg probably in part as it is the Stones but I think their placement of the song on side A really worked with the numbers immediately before and after it.
    Oh and I can listen to the solo too!
    Dance Little Sister is good fun, overly long, has some great Taylor lead and whammy bar work but essentially both of these tracks (plus a few others here) could have been done by almost anyone and therein lies the rub.

D.B. likes this.
  20. All Down The Line

Which is?

Fox67, D.B. and Dean R like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Fascinating I do not know of another country having or needing this extra link in the chain.
    So the Stations might be rushed 1 or 2 of these a week or so ahead of the regular promos???

22. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

When I saw the Stones at Twickenham in 2003 (ish), they were pretty terrible - Keith messing up the Brown Sugar riff and so on. The worst thing about it was that they did No Expectations as an acoustic number fairly early in the set and it was sublime, off the scale brilliant. I was left thinking if that can be that brilliant once, why not throughout the set!

D.B. likes this.
  23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

That is about right. This wasn't done for just any old song; it was done for songs that Atlantic wanted to get out quickly, either because of leaks or because it was a new single by an important act. And not everyone got them. Putting them on plain white labels with minimal credits meant that the pressing plant could do them quickly and cheaply.

I'm not really sure Atlantic needed these advance promos, because not every label used them.

As I write this, I realize it's possible that these records were also used by, to steal a phrase, under assistant West Coast (or any U.S. location) promotion men, who would make personal visits to important radio stations and, after a spiel, drop off new promos with the program director.

D.B. and All Down The Line like this.
  24. All Down The Line

Not every "label" used them?
    Do you mean such as Atlantic?
    The useage sounds like it could be a bit murky Tim so if I think given to the top brass or head Dj's are radio stations iam safe?
    Lastly if comparing both type promos of the same title and condition would a fair rule of thumb to add 50% ($) collectable value to the Advance copies?

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They have taken down the video. I don't recall what I posted as it has been too long ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.