Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

This is very promising.

2. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Makes the set even better

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I'm never going to forgive myself for cancelling my cheap preorder. :( Welp, at least I have incentive to get a summer job, now. I increasingly feel like I need this.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  4. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

"Stripped" is not a studio album, so they didn't left it out. They did the "Totally Stripped" album so in my opinion there will be no "Stripped" reissue on vinyl in the near future.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Mazzy and Turntable like this.
  5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

My order is still holding!

Turbo2k, Philrock90 and Carl80 like this.
  6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Let me translate that for you: I know that I was working with sub-par and compressed to hell files but I played along and said this Exile was going to greeeeeeat sounding. And I even include a certificate.

Sorry Miles but that speaks not very good about you.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I'm hoping these don't sell out and maybe some of the members here could give us some feedback on it.

If it does sell out, not a big deal.

8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I mean the released half-speed Exile. Miles knew that the files were not the best, but played along with the marketing bs UMe did.

Gavinyl and Boomy like this.
  9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

What a temptation! I’m going to be listing my SW, VL, BtB and ABB albums soon. Just have to take some pix etc.

SonicSorcerer likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I highly doubt that he had anything to do with the certificate. That’s marketing not engineering.

Listen, Miles is an employee of Abbey Road Studios. He was assigned a job and did the best he could with the resources he was given to work with. He also admitted that his version of Exile was mastered from Marcussen’s files. Do you think it would wise for him to criticize his employer and say don’t buy this version of Exile because the original files that I used sucked?? He’d be out of a job.

Would you do the same thing to your employer? I don’t think so. Unfair to criticize Miles. Lets live in reality.

Gavinyl, GeorgeZ, superstar19 and 7 others like this.
  11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Fair enough. But Miles isn’t just an anonymous in-house mastering engineer. He works for Abbey Road alright but he has a name in mastering business. He even signed the bloody certificates. Did he sign the certificates because he was told to do so? Maybe. I just thought it was not the case.

Gavinyl likes this.
  12. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I'll wait for the reviews and hopeful for HD-Tracks availability

nuclear_error likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body Thread Starter

Nobody pulled the wool over our eyes. There was nothing in the certificate saying the master tapes were used. It was clear right away the 2010 remaster was the source, the copyright date was there on the labels. I had that pressing and sold it because it wasn't to my liking

The Beave and nickde like this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Miles has a job and he is supposed to make a living out of his efforts.
    Personally, when I go to work, I speak and work for the organisation I'm involved in. They have an official profile and ethic values they tend their employees to work for. Though I do not always agree with everything personally, I do it because I have agreed to do so in my contract. Disagreements are to be discussed at diverse meetings, if I want to change anything.

The same with Miles: He is of course supposed to speak positively of the work he has done, because the organisation he works for, has a product to sell.

I know it's not always good, but that's the way it is.

The Beave, nickde and chacha like this.
  15. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

ANYWAY...sounds like there is a good chance that these will be well done.

Ordered. Hoping it will be the perfect companion to my mono lp set. I’ll still keep the two boxes from 2010 as well tho.

OldSoul, btltez, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  16. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

You should read first the interview he gave on June 2016 to HiFi Choice before keep trashing every post about this new box...

btltez and nickde like this.
  17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Just really important to emphasize once again: Miles is effectively saying that MASHER MARCUSSENS FILES SUCKED!!!!

marcb, nickde and Tommyboy like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, he sure is.

19. Further

Further Forum Resident

Speculate as you wish about what's coming...I figure at $179, it's worth a gamble. haha

Really though, between new transfers and a mastering that sounds like it's aiming for best sound instead of loudness, this could be the definitive box set of these albums.

20. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Sounds promising! It will be interesting to see what they can do sound wise with Goats Head Soup...

The Beave and btltez like this.
  21. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

can't find it on there bummer would like to read it

22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

We also have to remember that there are people who like the compressed sound, like Lukpac.
    And that earlier l.p. Set also sold out within three years, not to my liking but We all have differing tastes.
    To each their own.
    Me, I still think the 1\2 speed Exile sounds great, not perfect but when you look at it from an audiophile perspective, there are very few Stones LP'S that are really good sounding fidelity wise:
    Let It Bleed
    Satanic Majesties
    Aftermath
    Black And Blue
    Voodoo Lounge
    And that's about it. Most of the post Black And Blue albums suffer from being Over Produced and compressed, the others from muddy mixes or bad mixes (IORR, GHS, EXILE, Sticky etc), so anything Giles can do to make them more listenable will be welcome to me.
    Beave

btltez and rollo5 like this.
  23. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yeah, and Jagger ok'd them for release. Just like the 2009 CD issues. In fact I t wouldn't surprise me if Jagger told him to 'make it sound current'.
    Beave

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm waiting until the box is sitting by my stereo and Exile is playing before I comment. I'm hoping for the best.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

@lukpac

Do you like the compressed sound of the Stones albums?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.