Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It was part of the original promotion that the mono CDs and records would come out individually, but Stray Cats would be a box exclusive.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It was? I read a bunch of announcements at the time and don’t recall it explictly saying that at all. The most it said was at a date to be confirmed in 2017. No date was ever confirmed.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

4. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Not quite sure why, but sure, I’m in.

6. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I think at this point it is coming down to where to get it at all as they seem to be drying up.

7. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

The Vinyl Factory used the word "expected".

8. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

This doesn't help, as you'd need to know how it was edited and mixed.
    There were a lot of records recorded analogue at this time, which were then mixed or edited digitally.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, I know all of this.

But it does matter because if it was recorded digitally, there is no possibility of an analog (or even partially analog) mixdown, no?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

DAD/DAA

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  12. obi

obi Forum Resident

I’m personally looking forward to the outrage that is sure to erupt on this board when this thing is released and people realise that the included downloads are of the existing remasters.

OldSoul likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m typing on a phone so I don’t have the time or energy to go over every possible non-sequitur iteration of digital and/or analog iterations of recording, mixing and mastering.

Bottom line...it was apparently recorded to analog tape. I’ll leave the speculative discussion of what else it could or could not have been to you folks...

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You asked if there was no possibility of a partially analog mixdown if the multis are digital, and I pointed out there was.

As far as Fremer goes, though, I wouldn’t take anything he says as definitive.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It was a rhetorical question.

Without getting into technical nuance, you’re limited by the limits of the original digital recording regardless of whether there are analogs steps after that. So if it was recorded to analog tape, there’s at least a chance a “real” analog master exists...

16. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Well here's the official announcement text posted at IORR then.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To an extent, although if a digital recording is mixed to analog, any effects added in mixing (e.x.: reverb) would be fully analog.

That said, there’s a reason the industry deemed SPARS codes irrelevant.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Deju va all over again... :o

19. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Okay, whatever

20. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Oh Don't scare me, man :D I got like 2 months till I can afford mono mix :( Hopefully It'll be still available somewhere

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

thanks to Don Was. He insisted on a real tape machine

Flaming Torch and aphexj like this.
  22. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

In two months I think you’ll still be all good, but don’t delay it much longer if you really want it.
    I actually ended up with three copies in the Musicvaultz Black Friday 2016 madness, one with slightly damaged box. I am willing to sell the spare copies, but can only do it locally really cause PayPal won’t allow us here to accept payments. And locally, there’s no takers for $300 so far.

23. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

What do you have spare? Although im in the uk but very interested

24. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

I have one spare sealed mono box set and other one opened with damaged box but mint records. Still in their original factory packaging.

btltez likes this.
  25. HollywoodZombie

HollywoodZombie Member

Since the rolling stones are releasing the 15 vinyl boxset, do you think they will sell the album's separate? I need voodoo lounge and stripped but the prices online are crazy. I'll just buy the boxset for those albums.