Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

So do we have a pricing thread yet??
    Beave

2. This is a fairly quiet thread. Can't we just include it all here? Seems to be getting crazy with all these sub threads lately.... IMHO

btltez, Clanceman, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  3. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Didn't Miles master that one at half speed the first time around?

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think a separate thread on pricing/shipping is always a good thing. Keeps this thread less cluttered.

Daveymoore, Terry and lukpac like this.
  5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I can't remember.

I'll check the deadwax later tonight when I'm home.

telepicker97 likes this.
  6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yes he did.
    Beave

7. Eduberto Palitroke

Eduberto Palitroke Well-Known Member

Hi all.

So if the source is a digital sample from the original master tapes, what advantage is there on printing it to analog vinyl instead of, say, CD?.
    I came to this forum some months ago researching opinions on Blue and Lonesome and got back after this '71-'16 reissues being announced.

8. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

because vinyl is full bandwidth unlike CD. Miles is also half speed mastering specifically for vinyl.

9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

CD is capable of 16 bit or less and that's it, you hope these days any master would be done in at least 24 bit, that is a huge difference. If properly done I think a good 24 bit file can fool a lot of people into thinking is analogue while 16 is unlikely to have the same effect, Vinyl is able to reproduce the whole range. Some records cost more, have noise, still sound like a CD and sometimes can sound worse than a good CD.

Unless you are in a rush to make a purchase is always worth doing some research on the particular release you are interested in. Besides the sound there are all the extra bits you get, having a nice big cover with photos and may be more is important to many people, even if the record doesn't sound fantastic.

And your question should be what's the advantage of buying it on vinyl instead of printing it as the answer to that is money! That's the reason why some new reissues are terrible because many companies don't fully understand why most buy vinyl, they just want to produce it quick and get the money.

btltez likes this.
  10. Eduberto Palitroke

Eduberto Palitroke Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying,
    So you're saying if the master is 24 bit, CD won't handle that but vinyl will. Never thought of that... As you can see, I'm by no means an audiophile, but since I began buying CDs after many years (some of them Marcussen's 2009 remasters) I got to think about this.

By the way, this is a silly question, but... will any digital player work at the same standards? I mean decoding those 16/44.1 (despite the sound quality through the speakers).
    If not, how can it be checked?

Regarding the artwork and the sleeves and all that, I do think this boxset looks really good, but when I see VL, BTB and ABB as double LPs... it makes me think how cool would have been if they had made vinyl lenght albums (not Voodoo Lounge, which I dig so much), gathering VL outtakes and getting rid of those boring fillers and Jagger solo tracks.

11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I checked the deadwax on my copy of Blue And Lonesome and it doesn't have Miles' familiar signature.

It's the same as what's listed at discogs:
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A runout, etched): BAZZA ALCHEMY 5714944-A' MPO 5720123 A
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B runout, etched): 5714944-B' MPO 5720123 B
    • Matrix / Runout (Side C runout, etched): 5714944-C' MPO 5720124 A
    • Matrix / Runout (Side D runout, etched): 5714944-D' MPO 5720124 B

12. telepicker97

You didn't buy the 180g version?

13. telepicker97

Less cluttered soundstage/more natural sounding bass that allows the music to be heard instead of hard limited whompy blobs of slop that music has to fight to he heard through...

The Gomper likes this.
  14. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Sure feels like 180, but it's not US pressed, it's made in France.

Here's a link to the US version, still doesn't look like Miles did it.

Does yours have "Miles" in the deadwax?

15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Miles never said he mastered Blue and Lonesome - It is the only album in the box that he did not half speed master - he did nothing.
    Just so you know, the latest album in the set was not remastered but all of the others have been worked on by me.

Blue and Lonesome was mastered by BAZZA - Real Name: Barry Grint. UK mastering Engineer and founder of Alchemy Mastering.

cheers

marcb, The Beave, Jack and 1 other person like this.
  16. telepicker97

That is the 150g version.

I'm speaking specifically about the 180g, which was 1/2 speed mastered.

At Abbey Road.

The Beave likes this.
  17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I can't seem to find any info on this - do you have one? Or a link?

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

All The 180 gm pressings I see listed have these credits...

The Rolling Stones - Blue & Lonesome

19. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

There has never been a 150gm release of Blue and Lonesome. I own the 180gm vinyl pressed @ MPO in France.

please provide some evidence as I believe you are mistaken or getting in confused with the half speed master Miles did for Exile On Main Street.

20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

1)Exactly, when CD's were developed around 1976 digital audio was in it's infancy, costs and the media that was available to store the music had limitations that were embedded in the standards and those limitations are still with us. It's was and still is great system for most people but if you want the best sound it won't do.

2) I am not sure I understand your question very well but if I do yes, any digital player decoding 16/44.1 will be missing a lot of the sound and if we are talking MP3 it will be much worse than a CD because the high compression used most of the time. IMO you need to have 24/96 to be talking decent quality and even then having that kind of file does not guarantee good sound but at least the file has the potential to sound good.

3)A lot of box sets are really appealing when you really like a group or a particular record they can be a great addition, I haven't looked at the ones you mention as I like the Stones but I wouldn't go as far a box set. I bought recently the double reissue Mono/stereo vinyl + SACD of satanic majesties and I was very pleased. They finally did a very good job in last years re-masters.

21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I echo the comments supporting this box for all those that need it or want it.

I’m one (just my opinion) that enjoys every single Rolling Stones record to varying degrees of enthusiasm.

I have all I want & in some cases more than I need.
    I finally quit seeking the pressings from say...Spain, or “one more from Netherlands,” etc etc ...about 2/3 yrs ago.

I’m happy with all my versions of these.

But, this looks like a beautiful presentation and guys that want it - enjoy the hell out of it!

:righton: :tiphat:

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I certainly don't need it and wasn't going to buy it but I heard about that super cheap Amazon price and couldn't resist.

Clanceman likes this.
  23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

My friend - that beauty of a box couldn’t be in better hands.

Always love your posts. Will look forward to your thoughts on it.

P.S. I’ve happily succumbed to your “Sway” before. I could again! :laugh:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I have originals in great shape of all these, except the last few before Blue And Lonesome, so need is definitely not the operative word.

Want, however, is a different story.

Hope it's good!

Jam757 and Clanceman like this.
  25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I know I’ll end up with this box too. Still holding out for a retailer who’ll price match the Amazon $179 deal. :shake: