Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Everything is newly remastered except for Blue & Lonesome.

<Edit> OldSoul beat me to it.

2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Still no word on Steel Wheels and the different mixes?

I find it fascinating that nobody else has commented on that either way.

3. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I saw them on the SW tour yet still have little interest in this album. Maybe I need to revisit it and see if my opinion has changed after all these years. If not for your post, it probably would remain unopened in the box for months.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  4. Exile On My Street

Someone earlier mentioned that Mixed Emotions and Rock and a Hard Place were possibly different mixes than the original album and I and a few others are curious about that.

rollo5 likes this.
  5. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Just played through GHS- original and new master. The new master- deeper bass smooths it out.
    Heartbreaker for some reason sounds tad too polite- not as ballsy as the original. Turning it up helped.

That's the one thing I'm noticing- my originals play much louder than the new masters.
    As I switch out- master vs original- I have to raise or lower the gain to achieve same volume level.

Undercover- wow- sounds great. Deeper bass really brings it alive. You feel it.
    (One minor bummer- they omit the removable stickers on the cover)

Yeah- I heard the differences in Mixed Emotions- new vs old. I suppose it's a different mix.
    (maybe Fremmer can shed some light on this set in a future review)

So far- the only original LP from my collection- (and i have all of them up to Steel Wheels) better than what's in the box is Black and Blue.
    Everything else IMO- has been just as good or better.

More listening to go....

Jam757, Dbstay, MRamble and 7 others like this.
  6. Most of us wouldn’t know the difference. :tiphat:

yarbles and Deano6 like this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Even after comparing?

8. Exile On My Street

I believe his response was sarcasm because blah blah the Stones suck after 1972. :rolleyes:

MRamble, mick_sh and OldSoul like this.
  9. stem

stem Forum Resident

I’m with you in the minority that like the recent half speed of Exile.
    How does this new box pressing compare to that ?

The Beave and Terry like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You mean after 1978, right?

rednedtugent likes this.
  11. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Mick_sh - Brilliant point, well made. I was a fan of these guys a good 20 years before getting fussed about audiophile stuff. And I love that unboxing video - puts it all in great perspective.

This band is more about enjoyment than audio quality. Trouble is the enjoyment increases the better the record sounds...!!.....but there’s time for that, as you say.

MRamble and mick_sh like this.
  12. Of course if we do the A B thing. I think most folks won’t bother out in the real world.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Out in the real world, they buy records to hang on their walls, and have never been within 50 feet of a turntable. :laugh:

14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Those who do that don't buy 400$ boxsets but cheap old records or cheap reissues

OldSoul likes this.
  15. Myke

Not in East Nashville. :shake: Too much $$$ will make a person a little nuts.

aoxomoxoa, John Grimes and fsutall like this.
  16. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

The packaging says that a download card is included to download the 15 album catalog; There is a card but no info on it to download anything, just the edition number.

Coricama likes this.
  17. Yeah but seriously I’m a Big Stones fan but not really into the various mixes and things with them. Just the songs and music to play and not compare. That’s for all you fellas. I wouldn’t know about that extra organ on the track. Never knew if it was or wasn’t there.

Peachy and Deano6 like this.
  18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

We have discussed this earlier in the thread. It appears that the copies sold in the US don't come with the download card. The card you reference every set has (i.e., the limited edition number), it is the large tongue shaped card that people in Europe have in their sets that has the download code.

19. Myke

But I'll bet you've heard both versions of Time Is On My Side.

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. Of course I’ve heard and own many of the variations. When I choose an album to play I’m fine with whatever versions pop up on it.

But I understand how you scholars want them to choose the correct take for the proper album.

21. dynamicmoose

dynamicmoose Active Member

I picked the box up on Friday. I’ve been slowly making my way through it in order. I’m currently listening to Some Girls. It’s sounding nice. All have sounded good, except one little issue with Goats Head. “Star Star” sounds REALLY crunchy in the top end, starting in the first chorus and continuing throughout. It sounds fairly organic, not hearing as a pressing flaw, but you can mainly hear it in the vocal. The only other version I have to compare it to is a remastered CD. Just curious if any one else has heard this on their copy, or if it has sounded this way on previous pressings. I may post a needle drop later.

lukpac and OldSoul like this.
  22. Myke

Lighten up Francis.

Tommyboy, Musician95616 and Mazzy like this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

If that different mix were on a Beatles album, we would have a full spectrum analysis of the whole track, several threads about who played that organ, maybe Paul with their left hand except his pinky, maybe John while eating a doughnut... and of course speculations about the brand, model, year of manufacture, color, weight and height of the instrument.

John Grimes, Shawn, MRamble and 6 others like this.
  24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

If this were a Beatles release, we'd be on page 100 by now. I'm shocked by how slowly reviews are coming in.

25. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Oh doh. Brain fade. Of course, dsd :hide: