Rolling Stones Tattoo You 40th, 9 extra tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rs4951, Jul 17, 2021.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Yes, but will there be more Sonny Rollins on it? Not likely.

jawaka1000 and anth67 like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

How about more Mick Taylor? He was all over "Waiting on a Friend" too.

It is odd that Tattoo You is being treated to a anniversary edition as though it was a fully realized album when it was released in 1981--with tracks dating back to the early-'70's when Taylor was very much in the band and Keith was dealing with heroin.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Some Girls outtakes disc is very good, like a missing Stones album. Worth owning regardless of SQ.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Why don't you write in and tell them all that?

5. LaurenLovesMusic

LaurenLovesMusic Barbecutie

Glen Matlock?

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, it isn’t odd if you think about potential profit (which we all know is often the primary objective of the Stones). Consider that it was at one point their second best selling studio album, and many copies were sold to second generation fans that weren’t around in the 60’s. That’s a lot of potential “deluxe set” purchasers that may not have bought earlier sets.

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

This and Emotional Rescue were big albums with me at the time, I should be a guaranteed sale but times are tight so will have to see... nine new recordings? Damn tempting!

8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Never have high hopes concerning new Stones tracks from the vaults. They will always tinker with it, Exile On Main Street and Some Girls = caca.

mark renard likes this.
  9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I am intrigued by this Faces talk.

10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Did they get their money's worth out of the Some Girls sessions or what? I know other tracks like WOAF are even older, but wow....

Dan

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Emotional Rescue seems to have garnered more appreciation over the years. It was kind of squeezed out by the two albums on either side of it, and it didn't get a dedicated concert tour to go with it. But I always liked it a lot. It doesn't sound like they're trying too hard (like on Some Girls or Tattoo You), yet they're obviously trying harder than in other spots (Black and Blue). It just works. The anonymous album art was also a nice touch. The large poster was over the top.

Telegram Sam, VH3FAN, bonus and 14 others like this.
  12. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

They have done that since the late sixties. Several album tracks was already years old by the time they came to finish them off and release them.
    I know many fans complain about it, but they obviously refuse to release half-baked tracks.
    The last bootleg with all these backing tracks and muttered gibberish vocals only convinced me in my predictions. It was advertised as ‘finished with vocals’, but I got enough quite quickly. They were NOT ‘finished’. Stones fans thinks the archives are full of polished outtakes like Beatles or Dylan. Again they were proven wrong. And after the initial happy reaction, the usual complaining began that the outtakes was ‘fun’ but unexciting. The fans are not happy either way.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

But isn't the alternative is a bunch of tracks sans vocals? My understanding is that Jagger didn't really bother with tracks that weren't in the final stretch for album inclusion . . .

Also, the Stones don't seem to be taking excessive liberties with outtakes that take the listener out of the historical moment, as it were. Compare with Bruce Springsteen, who sometimes adds incongruent vocals, instruments and arrangements to leftover tracks.

My complaint is that the hybrid NOS tracks are as smashed during mastering as the reissued album proper. Otherwise I quite like the "new" tracks for EXILE ON MAIN STREET and especially SOME GIRLS.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  14. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

In a seperate thread about the studio album they're working on, a news article said that the band minus Keef were working on the thing in London, while Mr. Richards contributes from the States. This could very well be, as has already been said, because of the various travel bans. Unless more info comes to light, that's what I think is going on, not a health issue or anything more.

15. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

I’m glad they’re doing this, but please don’t have a 70 something year old Ron Wood dub over an original Mick Taylor part!!!

I’m hoping they release a bunch of bonus tracks like the Some Girls deluxe version. This is really their chance to shore up all the 70’s stuff in one fell swoop.

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

To cover Mick Taylor's guitar parts on anything would be like defacing a famous painting! I love the Some Girls bonus material.

17. Tattoo You is not only my favorite Stones album, it probably ranks in my top ten albums of all time. I’m beyond thrilled that it’s getting the 40th Deluxe Edition treatment. The bigger the box the better.

18. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

And yet, it is such a great record. It hangs together beautifully, and not a bad track on it. And wrapped in a "Stone classic" cover. I love everything about it.
    My favorite Stones as well. I've already got about 40 albums in my top ten, so let's go top fifteen for me. :winkgrin:

19. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Every reissue that had bonus studio material since Exile has had a live component/companion available with or around the time of the release.

L&G
    Some Girls Live In Texas
    Marquee Club/Roundhouse
    Brussels

I wonder what would be released for Tattoo You.

I would love to hear a pro version of one of the shows from the '81 tour when Mick Taylor hsd a guest spot. Was it Kansas City or maybe St. Louis?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Unless there are outtakes in the vault with him on them it can't happen as he had to retire from performing due to COPD I believe in 2012. He is also 90 years old now.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Perhaps but if they are studio recordings and not live performances Woody could easily overdub the parts.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Taylor appeared in Kansas City. He was in town at the same time playing with the Alvin Lee band if I remember correctly.

If they release a live show I hope it is a show with a different set list than Hampton 1981 and Leeds 1982.

jammincrowe, stef1205, duggan and 2 others like this.
  23. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Not sure if it's common knowledge or not but the Virgin reissues (was it '94?) contained a longer version of 'Slave' with more Sonny.

I'd read about the Virgin reissues in Rolling Stone at the time back in the stone age when the interwebs didn't exist and release info was garnered through magazines. I could have sworn they mentioned that a few songs on 'IORR' were extended too but damn if I remember which ones.

omikron, Curveboy, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  24. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

We should also start a speculative list of what the nine songs would most realistically be.

As stated earlier, "Don't Stop ", but I would think also...

Hang Fire (Long Version with intro)
    Slave (Alt/Longer Version)
    We Had It All

What else?

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Mick T. sat in at the Kansas City show.

I'm hope they issue Phoenix as the live show - it's the stadium show featured in Let's Spend The Night Together and is my pick for best show of the tour (that I've heard).