Rolling Stones Tattoo You 40th, 9 extra tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rs4951, Jul 17, 2021.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Basically, any outtake from 1973-1980 is fair game if you go by what was included on the original album.

They could go back as far as tracks like Fast Talking, Slow Walking, Drift Away, Living In The Heart of Love and Come On Sugar AKA Let's Do It Right. There are also later tracks like Lonely At The Top, Gangster's Moll, Dancing Girls and Linda Lu. Chris Kimsey mentioned the outtakes Let's Go Steady Again and Munich Hilton in an interview about the album. There are also quite a few blues covers like I Ain't Superstitious, Sweet Home Chicago, My First Pleas etc,

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  2. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

"Drift Away" definitely needs an "official" home...good call!

Great cover.

4. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Man, what a band... :love:

5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I don't think Taylor was plugged in on the soundboard recording from what I have heard...on the bootleg I don't think you can hear him.
    Of course it would be great if I was wrong.

6. Let’s try
    Disc 1-Album remixed
    Disc 2- Other Tracks
    Disc 3+4-Let’s Spend The Night Together soundtrack
    Bluray-Atmos Mix + Let’s Spend The Night Together + Videos

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Never Stop.

8. All Down The Line

I can hear him knocking!

J_D__, fmfxray373 and Fullbug like this.
  9. All Down The Line

Sure but in reality how much did they really differ & I doubt we would get Toads's Place or the 100 Club?

Flaming Torch likes this.
  10. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

“Drift Away”? I think they might wait until the 50th anniversary of It’s Only Rock N Roll, due in 2024!

I’m going to guess they will include the reggae version of “Start Me Up”.

I think an early version of “Waiting On A Friend” might work; there’s probably a different take out there that wasn’t leaked.

I remember a video on YouTube where somebody recorded outside their mobile studio when they were listening to potential songs for Tattoo You and “Potted Shrimp” was played. From that recent leak of all those songs, “Potted Shrimp” was finished and included. Would that be a candidate?

On that note, anybody think there is a connection between the giant leak and this upcoming deluxe edition?

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They threw in the occasional rarity. Down The Road Apiece, Tops, and Mona during a few 1981 shows. In addition, Street Fighting Man and Star Star were not played often in 1981.

Angie was played a few times in 1982 as was the cover on Chantilly Lace.

12. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Now that’s a great version and to me, it could be released “ as-is.”
    Mick might feel differently though and he may want to redo the vocals.

Telegram Sam and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  14. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Didn’t “ Waiting on a Friend” develop from scraps left over from extended jams of “ Time Waits for No One?” Or maybe both songs came from a similar source ?
    Both songs have the same feel and the guitars sound to be in similar keys.
    And Mick Taylor ( and Nicky Hopkins) are all over both tracks

groundharp likes this.
  15. Travelin Man

They definitely attempted “Waiting On A Friend” during the Goats Head Soup sessions. They even recorded a new version in LA after leaving Jamaica. I read that in an interview right after the remixed/remastered version came out.

16. All Down The Line

Yes I know but not too many in one show (maybe 3) so they would need to do a compile to get near to your wishes.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

With both Exile and Some Girls, they more or less knew when to leave well enough alone when it came to certain songs. So maybe in addition to the 9 "new" tracks, we might get a few untouched outtakes/alternates.

18. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Isn’t that what happened on Waiting On A friend in 1981?

Even if it didn’t, the two tracks from Exile had no Mick on them anyway, and most tracks on Tatoo didn’t have Mick Taylor anywhere near them

I love the Some Girls bonus material, but there was a lot of modern over-dubs on it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    PunkSaxMix likes this.
  19. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Agree, but I think they’ll look to do it in character for the album.
    So try and have things that could’ve sat with the original tracks

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Because only 2 tracks on Tattoo You were from the time period when Mick Taylor was in the band. They rest were after he left.

It will be interesting to see if they use more tracks from his time in the band for a Tattoo You Anniversary Edition. Part of it might depend on of there is a plan for an IORR Anniversary Edition. There aren't any live shows to pair with IORR unless they went back to 1973 shows so you would think an Anniversary edition of IORR would have to be mostly outtakes and alternate versions.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

IMHO It would still be better than having the exact same set lists we already have even if there were only 1 or 2 rarities or rarely played tracks. Honestly, I am not much of a fan of the 1981-82 live shows even if I like the set lists better than 1978.

ODShowtime and All Down The Line like this.
  22. kdd21

kdd21 Forum Resident

So pumped for this! The Tattoo You tour is my favorite Stones tour so really hoping for another live show release. I listen to the 81 Seattle show quite often

23. mattright

mattright Forum Resident

It would be nice if these are going to be 9 previously unreleased songs and not alternate/early versions of existing songs.

primoridal_ooze and Dean R like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Probably both out takes and early versions or demos. Different mixes too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Travelin Man

I think Jagger added new vocals and there was a sax overdub on "Waiting On A Friend", but otherwise it was the original track from either Jamaica or LA. There is a rumor that there is a version with a Mick Taylor solo. My point is, another version might sound totally different; they recorded the song at multiple locations.

Which Exile tracks?

jeremylr likes this.