Rolling Thunder Revue (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by masswriter, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I watched it home on Netflix but was thinking it might be really cool to watch it on a big screen too maybe if it shows near me I will check it out. If not I had a good time watching it at home again. lol
    ]

Dayfold likes this.
  2. I wouldn't waste your money on the big screen. I struggled to get to the hour mark on Netflix.

It's randomly edited interviews, snippets, loose material, new pointless Bob interviews and some dismal shouty live performances jumbled together. IOW another incoherent Scorcese doc.

For those who love 75 it must be frustrating as hell. You get a few seconds of a song only to get cut away to some non sequitor or random aimless footage.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  3. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I recommend you watch Renaldo and Clara. Sounds like you might really enjoy it.

streetlegal and Dayfold like this.
  4. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I watched it on Netflix and it was fine I Just thought it would be good on the big screen. I may still try to find someplace to go see there too. I need to watch it again. it was late when I watched it.

5. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I'd definitely go and see it at the cinema given the chance. One of the best music docs ever made I think, it's stunning, gave me a huge buzz. But then I really love this period of Dylan and thoroughly enjoyed Renaldo & Clara (for the footage rather than the bizarre 'story' I should say). Weird how the opinions of fans can diverge so dramatically!

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

“I left knowing one thing,” said Dylan. “That this man’s philosophy and my philosophy were running on the same road, and you don’t meet too many people like that. "

Bob Dylan on Hurricane Carter, quoted in 1975 in Rolling Stone

Bob Dylan Debuts 'Hurricane' in 1975

and also (nearly if not exactly) word for word in the documentary, recorded within the last year. Since he was claiming not to remember anything at all from back then, maybe he refreshed himself on his story at the time.

7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It was satisfying as hell. Especially the numerous complete song performances. Not sure what film you were watching there... ;)

8. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Recently watched this and not only was it a mess, but sick that Scorsese prominently featured a member of NAMBLA (Ginsberg). Not too surprising considering this is the same director that made fun of midgets and cerebral palsy in The Wolf of Wall Street.

9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

You've missed the bit Dylan was acting to a script-it's a spoof.

Electric likes this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good news: Criterion is going to release the movie on blu-ray at some point in this year.
    Should be a great upgrade to the sound.

11. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Do you think there will be a unique surround mix?

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

No, but netflix is streaming 5.1 in low bitrate mp3 quality.
    A lossless version on blu-ray is usually a big upgrade for action and music films.

Tom Schreck likes this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    mdm08033 and streetlegal like this.
  14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Has Criterion changed its mind about releasing this?

15. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon about a month ago. It came out yesterday, and I recieved it yesterday as well. Hadn't seen it yet, I thought it was great. What footage, got goosebumps several times. God I wish I coulda seen that live, but I was only 8 at the time. I did see Bob (w/ Patti Smith) many years later at the Worcester Auditorium though, one of the venues Rolling Thunder played. Come to think of it, I saw Roger McGuinn there too.

16. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

My blu ray arrived Tuesday. I'm old enough to still prefer the feeling of the tangible product to the streaming world. It's another fine Criterion set. Hard to judge the sound in specific terms, with so many sources involved, but it is better than Netflix.

I wish I could have seen some of these shows, too. I was 16, barely a year past the time when my good Baptist mother finally let me go to concerts (but when she finally relented, she went big: my first concert was Alice Cooper). I was coming into a new understanding of music at that time, but it was my jazz period. Dylan hadn't entered the picture yet. Very glad to have it all documented.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

The Criterion DVD features 3 complete song clips:
    Romance In Durango
    Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
    Tangled Up In Blue ( a "new, extended cut")

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Just watched Irishman and it reinforced my opinion of Scorsese as one of our better directors. In this case, like "Kundun", his more reflective side surfaces, and all the 'excitement and glamour (such as it is) is revealed as dancing on the edge of a very dark abyss. So, good for him, and us as an audience of intelligent and sometimes dynamic movies.

But his music docs often seemed distorted by a weird sensibility. And showy editing that serves no purposes. Seriously, give me 16 cameras, Michael Chapman as cinematographer, and a nice San Francisco Theaters and I (or just about anyone) could have made "The Last Waltz". Just keep your eye on the Band. It's like Garth or Eric Clapton were running all over the stage. Like "Shine a Light" it's not bad, but it should have been better.

And is anyone other than Lester Bangs ever going to call out Dylan for his disgraceful 'idealizing' of a monster like Joey Gallo?

19. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Joey has been tackled in most Dylan biographies as controversial, the movie is largely a spoof and there is little in it to suggest much of Scorsese's influence -it's most interesting aspect is the concert footage and the whole concept did nothing for me personally. It struck me as smug and smart arsed trying to outwit Dylanologists but as it is the modern world an awful lot of people took it as serious and at face value....which I think they knew would happen-Dylan loves that type of stuff.

Cool hand luke and maui jim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.