Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And it sounds like the same (modern) voice too for those questions.

RayS likes this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

No... I don't think it is your imagination.

RayS likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

But it's not Whoopi's voice. Maybe Dr. Kitty's though. I hear she has a very low voice.... ;)

4. Opusjeff

Opusjeff Forum Resident

Yes, like the Nagra recorders during Let It Be. I was trying to keep it simple.

Mal likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Pretty sure someone has stated above that Shea was recorded to stereo

6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

The first one seems to be - probably inaudible on any source - the last one has an edit to add something to the question by the original interviewer.

RayS likes this.
  7. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Definitely a dub, the question has even been reworded.

Actually said was: "A psychiatrist recently said you're nothing but a bunch of British Elvis Presleys"

RayS likes this.
  8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Two sets of stereo according to Ron Furmanek. He did some work on those tapes. But it appears this work might have been discarded. Has any stereo version ever been released/leaked?

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

When does a documentary stop being a documentary? ;-)

scoostraw, Lewisboogie and Frank like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I think they've done that before. Anthology, maybe? Compleat? Maybe the questions were inaudible?

EDIT: May be a right's issue. You can use someone else's voice for news purposes, but not for commercial purposes without a release.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  11. Arnold Grove

Or rather:
    When does a documentary START being a documentary? Because so far, we've had colorized footage, overdubbed voices, futzed-with music audio, and interviews with people who have no reason for being in the film at all and who weren't in the Beatles world during 1962-1966.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

All in all that sounds exactly like what I would expect from a documentary, particularly one about the Beatles. What it is not is an anthology compiling old footage in raw form.

davenav likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

I just had to look up "Documentary" in the dictionary (American Heritage edition) to see exactly what it means:

"A movie or a television or radio program that provides a factual record or report."

"The presentation of facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter."

14. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

Ugh, Eddie Izzard!? :wtf:

streetlegal likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Not sure if this applies: But being more than 50 years old (which that clip is since it from 1964), wouldn't all the audio from the press conference fall into public domain anyhow?

16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I equate Ron Howard with the epitome of safety and mainstream American vanilla. Thus far, prejudices confirmed. Still, I'm sure there will enough in the film to enjoy.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  17. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

When Nigel Tufnel is interviewed? (Actually, I'd rather hear from Nigel than Whoopi.)

musicfan37, majorlance and RayS like this.
  18. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Your positive outlook is entirely out of keeping with the tenor of this thread.

Get with it! Whine and whine some more about a film you haven't seen, or get out!

Dugan and utopiarun like this.
  19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

You may be thinking of the EU copyright law as it applies to unpublished material, which would not apply to this often broadcast and published US press conference. Either way, I don't think copyright law has to do with someone's right to control their own likeness and image. Apple may have waivers from some of the reporters (or their estates) but not from others, or even not know who some of them were, which would be why some original audio is used but some questions are always overdubbed.

I've noticed that press conference questions are frequently overdubbed.

I'm not an expert, but I'm interested in this kind of thing and my limited knowledge kind of jibes with what's here:
    Legal guide to video releases & the use and publication of Audio and Video Recordings | New Media Rights »

20. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Allen Michael, linclink and RayS like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm no expert either, but, for example, did all the lawyers who appeared in "Making a Murderer" or "OJ: Made in America" sign off on the inclusion of archival footage which makes them appear unprofessional or inept? For that matter, did OJ Simpson have to sign off? Has Mr. "What kind of police protection?" from 1964 been signing waivers for the past 52 years?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

That'll be me Thursday evening! I may also wet myself and scream, but I do that most days anyway. :help:

Skywheel and vitorbastos123 like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nobody has ever made one of those. Just by selecting what archival material to use and how to juxtapose it a director is editorializing and choosing what to present as factual.

Malina, Lewisboogie and davenav like this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Lawyers will do something akin to a fair use analysis on each film and decide how risky not getting permission for each protected element is. The closer something is to hard news, the less the risk of not getting permission.

But I suspect redubbing voices was more done to make the film sound better than for legal reasons.

Lewisboogie and RayS like this.
  25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I do not know, obviously. The law is this:

"You need a release waiver when you are using another person's name, voice, signature, photograph (if readily identifiable), or likeness for exploitative purposes. Even if you have consent to initially record the person, you still need further consent to use or publish those recordings for exploitative purposes. A release waiver provides consent for how you intend to use the recordings. "

I would assume the rights holder would get as broad a waiver as they could so they could use the footage they shot/own for as broad a purpose as the individual granting the waiver would allow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.