RONNIE LANE SLIM CHANCE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffrey walsh, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member Thread Starter

LOOKING FOR THE BEST VERSION OF THIS RECORDING ON CD. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

2. jeffrey walsh

Anyone here have this title?

3. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I have this CD. I think I can compare the British to the Japanese versions when I get home. I may also have it on vinyl.

Are you talking about the album called "Slim Chance"? Or are you talking about the album called "One for the road" by Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance?

4. jeffrey walsh

Slim Chance is the one.

5. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

The title is "Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance", which causes some confusion...
    I had a very nice English pressing on lp which was borrowed away at one point.

Not answering the question at all if you didn't notice.

6. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I recently picked up a CD on the Acadia label titled Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance. It's a 2003 compilation featuring almost all of Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance (1975) - the only track missing is 'Single Saddle' - and all of the follow-up One for the Road (1976). The mastering credit is "Loud Mastering, Taunton, Somerset, UK" but that's a misnomer as I can crank this and it still sounds great. Timeless music. I also picked up (at the same time) the DVD The Passing Show - The Life & Music of Ronnie Lane. Marvellous stuff, well worth checking out.

7. william shears

william shears Senior Member

The UK Edsel CD pressing is absolutely fantastic. A superb sounding disc:thumbsup:

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just rediscovered "Anymore For Anymore", "Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance" and "One For The Road" and was amazed how brilliant these albums are. Totally unique in a way. I think it's a big, big shame they remain so relatively obscure. The big Mojo or Uncut feature has yet to come :(

It's not like these are somewhat OK or half hearted - I totally think these stand up to anything Laney did with The (Small) Faces. I really love these records...

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

:righton:

10. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Uncut wrote a 5 or 6 page feature about Ronnie Lane and Slim Chance in the summer of 2010. It would be the June or July issue.

11. Couldn't agree more - just wonderful stuff from a truly unique artist.

So glad I got to see him do a show at the Palomino in N. Hollywood before he passed - though it was hard to see him struggle to move with the M.S.

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I agree, they are unique.

How would one describe those albums? Soulful-Country-Roots Rock-Baroque Folk-English Music Hall... at his best he seamlessly integrates so many disparate ingredients, with a full helping of heart.

13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I loaded up these three albums plus See Me on my mp3 player recently and they still are among my favorite albums of all time. Lane was sort of alt-country and roots rock before these genres existed.

14. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

The Poacher is epic.

15. Neonbeam

No idea.... I think Ray Davies does something remotely similar on "Muswell Hillbillies". Albeit with MUCH darker lyrical content. Davies shows people / places in various states of decay while Laney... well... this trio of albums just sounds so....warm, rural, good natured. A very british take on....well.... "Americana"?

I think a lot more people would REALLY love these records... if they only knew they existed :( If they were more common on vinyl in Germany, I would buy every copy I come across and give them to friends...

16. Agreed - a very underrated track.

Saw Ronnie L. and Slim Chance at BRistol Colston Hall way back.

A fun evening all round. Although the approach was very laid back, casual and seemingly 'loose', the musicianship was outstanding.

Best Wishes
    David

17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Well worthy of a box set if anyone is.Great stuff.

18. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Don't know about CD versions of Slim Chance, but I have the UK and US LPs and they have different track listings.

UK LP, Island ILPS 9321

A1 Little Piece Of Nothing
    A2 Stone
    A3 A Bottle Of Brandy
    A4 Street Gang
    A5 Anniversary
    A6 I'm Going To Sit Down And Write Myself A Letter
    A7 I'm A Country Boy
    B1 Ain't No Daddy
    B2 Blue Monday
    B3 Give Me A Penny
    B4 You Never Can Tell
    B5 Tin And Tambourine
    B6 Single Saddle

US LP, A&M SP-3638:

A1 The Poacher
    A2 Stone
    A3 Bottle Of Brandy
    A4 Street Gang
    A5 Anniversary
    A6 I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter
    A7 Little Piece Of Nothing
    B1 Brother Can You Spare A Dime?
    B2 Ain't No Lady
    B3 Blue Monday
    B4 Give Me A Penny
    B5 You Never Can Tell
    B6 Tin And Tambourine

So the Poacher (from the previous album, also a single) and Brother Can You Spare a Dime (a single) are added in place of I'm a Country Boy and Single Saddle.

19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I like the original Japan CD best

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Ronnie Lane's recordings are rare enough in any format that my advice would be to buy one when you see it and worry about SQ later.

21. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Agreed. I have at least one Lane CD that is clearly just a needle drop, but it's great just to have the music.

22. Neonbeam

It's a weird situation, while the "Slim Chance" album seems to be easily available on CD "Anymore" & "Road" seem to be more expensive. The vinyl albums are not terribly rare if you turn to Ebay, Discogs. Over here you just never see them. Except for "Rough Mix" which is one of the titles you find all the time.

23. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Saw them at Edinburgh University on the 75 tour one of the best nights I had, I e mailed Steve Simpson recently to see if the full concert from London 75 is in the vaults as they used some tracks on the CD Kutchty Rye and it would be great to have a full 75 show on cd.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've got the two-fer of Slim Chance and One For The Road and it's really lovely stuff with loads of soul and charm. I love the fact that Ronnie had the guts to break out of the game and follow his own muse, creating something very unique and uncommercial. I can't think of too much else out there like it--maybe Van Morrison circa Tupelo Honey? I also have the Just For A Moment compilation--both are fine entry points into Ronnie's solo work and highly recommended.

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

You Never Can Tell: The BBC Sessions is a nice set as well - one disc of Peel sessions and a one "in concert" disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.