RONNIE LANE SLIM CHANCE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffrey walsh, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

:agree: OOP but worth tracking down.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm REALLY amazed how many people post in this thread. That's pretty cool actually. These three albums REALLY deserve it!

3. william shears

william shears Senior Member

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Exactely my thoughts. Too bad we all can't get together in the country, play these albums through REALLY loud soundsystems, have drinks and just talk. That sounds like REALLY bad hippie stuff but such is the genius of Laney. He makes things like that actually sound appealing;)

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Mahoney's Last Stand with Ron Wood is a must have!
    I see the RLSC cd on amazon for $16.50 w/shipping.

6. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

In "The Passing Show" they mentioned that when Ronnie made these albums, he used the same tape over and over since he had so little money. If that is true, then the masters probably don't exist.

Luckily I have NM copies of Slim Chance and One for the Road, but I'm afraid to play them after I heard that. I usually don't worry too much about vinyl degradation, but those I copied and listen to via digital.

7. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Been a while since I watched it (and it is excellent) but wouldn't that have referred to the session tapes? Maybe the mix-down masters belonged to the record company? It was Glyn Johns who discussed this IIRC.

8. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

You're probably right. I was half asleep when I watched it, but you're right it's excellent. I need to see it again.

9. Jale

Jale Active Member

I agree. They are fantastic.

I do have a favorite -- Anymore for Anymore.

Add the 1973 EP with How Come?, Tell Everyone and Done This One Before and you have perfection IMO.

10. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Who has the right's to Plonk's music catalogue now? I'm sure his brother was involved in some releases a few years back?

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Some of the songs on Slim Chance are on the "Anymore for Anymore" album.

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Although Ronnie had a relatively short solo career he recorded for a number of different labels, which probably complicates things. The Island albums were available in Japan back in the 90's and then Edsel did a reissue series that included See Me, which was on Gem/RCA. Anymore for Anymore was available on the I Can See For Miles label in the early-90's and then came out on New Millenium Communications (was that a HUX imprint?) along with the BBC Sessions, the Kutchety Rye singles compilation, Mahoney's Last Stand (originally on Atco in the US) and others. I don't know if that series also included the Island albums and See Me. I doubt if his family owns all his recordings.

There were a couple releases that featured outtakes of various quality as well as the Magic Midgets album with Steve Marriot. But all that stuff is OOP now.

A well-mastered, comprehensive box set would me most welcome, but as good as his music is (and as well-received as it has been when I've shared it with friends) I think it would be a tough thing to "sell" these days.

13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

"The Passing Show" is really nicely done.

Many of the CD's are unlicensed...Ronnie's family put a comp together and released it in 2006 (it was called "Just for a Moment").

Interesting that Slim Chance has reformed without Ronnie (obviously): http://www.slim-chance.co.uk/index.html

14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It was.

I recently watched Scorcese's George Harrison documentary - Living In The Material World. I enjoyed it and there were many touching moments, but when it was over I thought to myself, "It wasn't as affecting as The Passing Show." Considering the limited budget and archives they were probably working with, The Passing Show was extremely well-done.

15. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member Thread Starter

Playing this as I type. Gotsta get this on cd. Just For A Moment kills me in a good way.

16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

18. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

There's also a 2-disc compilation called April Fool that was released as a fundraiser for MS. I picked it up for $1 in a cutout section. It provides a good overview of his solo work as well as some rare live stuff.

His stuff is worth seeking out on vinyl. It's not always easy to find, and I spent about a year on eBay assembling NM copies of his catalog. But the prices aren't crazy, I paid no more than $35, about the price of a new reissue. The US One for the Road that I have sounds great.

19. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Nothing at Importcds for Rl. Amazon prices for his stuff on Amazon are very high, except for Rough Mix. Spotify only has Ronnie Lane/ Ron Wood. Criminally out of print, it seems, at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.