Ronnie Wood - I Can Feel The Fire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dodgytc, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love this song and bought the single upon it's release in `74. I always think of this as the "lost" Stones single.
    Anyway, does anyone know if the shorter single edit is available on CD or for download anywhere? That is the version I grew up with and would love to find it.

TC

2. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I dont know about the single, but the song and that first Ronnie solo album is great. If you like the Stones, the Faces...you need this.

3. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

Love this song too. The album is so so. If I´m not mistaken, Jagger sings on it quite loudly.

4. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

"Far East Man" w/ George is fantastic.

5. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

:righton: I love it. IF I was going to compile say an 18 track Harrison solo retrospective CD, it would be on it. Sometimes it's kinda hard to tell whose guitar you're hearing. George's voice sounds so good on it also...right underneath Ronnie's gruffer one.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think the single version might be on one of the Warners Loss Leader lps, not sure.

7. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

There is an awesome live version included on "Five Guys Walk Into A Bar" (Faces box set).

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO, Woody's second solo album, Now Look, is even better:righton: I'd put his first two solo albums and possibly Gimme Some Neck up against any Wood-era Stones album, easily.

When you hear Ron Wood's solo albums (especially the first three) it becomes painfully obvious just how much of his talent is wasted being a Rolling Stone:shake:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

SLIDE ON THIS from 1992 was a real return to form. If you like the first two, check it out.

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Two Jagger/Richard compositions, the Keef lead vocal on "Sure the One You Need" and Rod's prominent vocals on "Take a Look at the Guy" and "If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody" make it necessary for Stones/Faces completists.

11. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

I Feel Like Playing is a nice return to form, imo.... worth picking up if you're a Ronnie fan and haven't already done so

12. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Agree with this especially about Now Look (with Bobby Womack).

I never heard the single version of "I can feel the Fire" but I picked up the first LP last week and enjoyed it last night but not as much as Now Look.

As a singer Ronnie is a pretty good guitar player but his first few solo albums are great slabs of funky soulful rock n roll any Stones fan should really dig.

If the singing was a bit better Now Look would be a classic. The songs are there and the grooves are killer.

13. Zack

Zack Senior Member

+1

I think I actually prefer Ronnie duetting with Rod than Jagger on this one. Or maybe it's just the intensity of the performance.

14. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Agreed. In fact, outside of Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, I can't think of a better Stones album. Well...Tattoo You.

15. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Another fine release. I love Gimme Some Neck. This and Some Girls really opened my eyes about music. I gone down a lot of roads (music) since then, but those records always feel like home.

When you think about the quality of Ronnies solo albums...as much as I love Keith's albums, I'd take the solo Ronnie every time.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Sheesh...I've just been playing these albums a lot lately and was gonna start a thread stating the very same thing. There's so much good, soulful music on these albums that puts what the Stones actually released during that period to shame. It makes me wonder what really happened? Was he just creatively squashed my Keith? Mick? Or both?

17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Never heard this. Sounds interesting.

18. ohnothimagen

Well, the short answer (IMO) is that Ron Wood basically 'sold his soul' in order to become a Stone, hang with Keith, etc...much to his musical and -especially- financial detriment. Ronnie may tell some pretty crazy, B.S. stories in his autobiography, but the anecdotes about his money woes are pretty revealing.

We all know the old stories: how Woody was a 'salaried Stone' for almost twenty years; how he swapped "It's Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)" and "I Can Feel The Fire" with Jagger...how Jagger wanted Ron thrown off the 81/82 tours for hitting the pipe, etc...but also Ronnie's the guy who held things together during "World War III" as Keith calls it, and was also the guy who helped smoothed things over between Mick and Keith in 1989, allowing the Stones to continue.

But we also know the stories about how p-ssed Keith got with Mick Taylor's 'overplaying' on his last Stones albums and tours (and I agree with Keith wholeheartedly:righton:) Let's face it, Ron Wood was the perfect replacement for Taylor, and fit in to the Stones' image and sound a helluva lot better than 'little Mick' ever did (YMMV, of course). I'm sure at the end of the day Ronnie knew what he was getting himself into. Hate to say it, but as good as his solo records are, I really couldn't see him making it big as a post-Faces solo artist. Mainly Ron's voice is too much of an acquired taste...he does sound a lot like Dylan at times, though.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"I Can Feel The Fire" is on the Loss Leader set The Force, but I don't know if it's the single version.

20. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Interesting thought. I wonder though, since his solo albums are essentially unknown to this day, if he would have had any less recognition had he been purely a solo artist. As a solo artist he could have focused more on touring, PR, that sort of thing, that appears to be non-existent in his role as a Rolling Stone.

His first two albums are that good that's it's worth thinking about. That those two albums have been ignored is an atrocity in my opinion.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It's really too bad Ronnie Wood never put his creative stamp onto The Rolling Stones' music, save for SOME GIRLS.

22. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Great song. His first solo album and Nils Lofgren first solo album, overlooked gems that seem to regularly appear in the bins.

23. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

I think when Ronnie joined the Stones they should have changed their album-making formula to this:

6 Mick vocals
    4 Keith vocals
    1 Ronnie vocal

...or something along those lines. Obviously they never took it in that direction. But I feel that Keith and Ronnie deserved a little more action. Sure Keith always got one or two vocals on the albums, but I'd have been happy with more of them. Likewise, Ronnie's voice would have fit in perfectly if he had been given a chance to submit a song or two on every album. Ronnie is an underrated rock singer.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Has anyone heard the Now Look vinyl released on Thunderbolt out of the UK?

25. ohnothimagen

Oh I dunno...Woody's bass line makes the "Emotional Rescue" track for me:righton:. Yeah...even if his guitar playing never reached the heights in the Stones that it did in his Faces days, Ron has laid down some pretty tasty bass parts, particularly on Dirty Work and Steel Wheels ("Fight", "Break The Spell" etc). He also conjured up some pretty cool guitar tones and lap and pedal steel licks on Voodoo Lounge. I always reckoned that if you put Wandering Spirit, Main Offender and Slide On This into a blender, Voodoo Lounge would be the result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.