Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

laf848 likes this.
  2. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Link ?

3. Vaughan

I suspect that was one of those "the guys will be blown away at this deal!" type post, mainly intended to engender envy. ;)

whodanny likes this.
  4. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Yup, it's working. :sigh:

5. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I suspect you are wrong. I guess I exaggerated by not including tax and shipping cost though.

[​IMG]

6. Vaughan

Nu-huh. How many other copies at available at thart price? I wasn't suggesting you hadn't got it for that. ;)

7. vinylsolution

There were four copies, I bought 2, my buddy bought one, the other was only available to non-US buyers, all are gone now.

If I really wanted to engender envy, I'd tell you to look at Popsike stats for this release - the average is $447 and max is $527, one was the empty box for $32, the next lowest sold price was $218.

8. Vaughan

:D Fortunately, I don't do Vinyl - so all is good.

vinylsolution likes this.
  9. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I was asleep at the switch and missed the vinyl bundle back when it was offered. On the other hand, I have all the classic releases on original vinyl, so I may very well have passed on this anyway...

10. Looks like they sold off returns which had some (hopefully minor) shipping damage to the box, hence the "Near Mint" condition for the sleeve. Great deal though, congratulations.

11. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

wgriel, Vaughan and Chris Schoen like this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, mine are all original, and minty condition. Nice that his catalog is still in print though. Hopfully they haven't dicked around with the mastering...

13. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

Have them all from last remaster, sealed and not played yet. Had a few issues with my new CD payer which l had to use for the last year to check that it’s working ok. Not played the old black plastic and have shed loads of new sealed stuff to pay including RGs. Will have a RG week pretty soon me thinks.

wgriel and Chris Schoen like this.
  14. vinylsolution

In case you did not see the thread on the new 1977 live set... Check Shirt Wizard.

slipkid likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx for the heads up!

16. vinylsolution

Figure I should follow up, turns out the too good to be true deal on the 15-LP box, was.
    PopMarket (the seller) somehow mixed up the catalog number for the box set and the single LP "Against The Grain".
    They shipped me two copies of ATG, no box.

Still, ATG actually sounds pretty good. I need to A/B it with my original pressing yet, but the vinyl is flat and quiet!

wgriel likes this.
  17. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

What’s my best bet for Rory CDs as far as dynamics/sound quality? I have the Original Album Classics set but looking to get some better less compressed versions. How do the new remasters compare with the 80’s CDs?

20. Rollie

Rollie Forum Resident

You can not go wrong with the new remasters, they are nicely done! :righton:

Whistle and Jam757 like this.
  21. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Which CDs? The Intercords are hard to beat but also tricky to find and possibly expensive. Must say the live albums sound better to me on those than anything else I've heard, including the recent downloads.

22. Fatboyfive

Fatboyfive Active Member

Hi

Newbie here, but long time lurker.

Just getting to know Rory's music (it passed me by in my youth for some reason) and very impressed with his talent and output, just sorry I never got the chance to see him live, when such things were normal.

I now have almost all his releases on CD, some Demons, an Intercord, a Castle and a couple of UMC 2018s, based on the extremely useful posts on these forums.

I normally seek out original cd releases as often remasters are brick walled with excessive bottom end and reduced dynamic range making them sound nothing like the original vinyl I grew up with.

To clarify I am a massive rock fan in my mid 50s with a couple of decent music systems representing a considerable investment in hifi, reaching the heady heights of Naim equipment in recent years.

Regarding Notes from San Francisco, I found the 2011 original cd release to be quite thuddy and thumpy, so I checked this forum for alternatives and I could find no comments.

I had hoped the 2018 release would dial back the overt bottom end emphasis, so I took a punt, and can inform you that it sounds the same as the 2011, and the DR figures (below) are identical.

The sleeve notes make no mention of remastering for 2018 release, unlike some of the other 2018s which I have seen were remastered in 2017.
    I was very pleased of this for Photo-Finish as the original CAPO Release was also too thuddy for me with the 2018 sounding much more relaxed.

Analyzed Folder: /Rory Gallagher/Notes From San Francisco [disc 1]/Notes From San Francisco [disc 1]_dr.txt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR6 over -7.28 dB 01 - Rue the Day.wav
    DR7 -0.00 dB -7.65 dB 02 - Persuasion.wav
    DR7 over -8.10 dB 03 - B Girl.wav
    DR7 -0.03 dB -8.09 dB 04 - Mississippi Sheiks.wav
    DR9 -1.00 dB -13.00 dB 05 - Wheels Within Wheels.wav
    DR7 over -8.40 dB 06 - Overnight Bag.wav
    DR7 over -8.35 dB 07 - Cruise On Out.wav
    DR7 over -7.63 dB 08 - Brute Force & Ignorance.wav
    DR7 over -8.50 dB 09 - Fuel to the Fire.wav
    DR8 -0.03 dB -10.07 dB 10 - Wheels Within Wheels [Alt. Version].wav
    DR7 -1.97 dB -10.17 dB 11 - Cut a Dash.wav
    DR7 -2.00 dB -9.79 dB 12 - Out on the Tiles.wav

Number of Files: 12
    Official DR Value: DR7
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Analyzed Folder:/Rory Gallagher/untitled folder/Notes From San Francisco [disc 1]/Notes From San Francisco [disc 1]_dr.txt
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR6 over -7.28 dB 01 - Rue the Day.wav
    DR7 -0.00 dB -7.65 dB 02 - Persuasion.wav
    DR7 over -8.10 dB 03 - B Girl.wav
    DR7 -0.03 dB -8.09 dB 04 - Mississippi Sheiks.wav
    DR9 -1.00 dB -13.00 dB 05 - Wheels Within Wheels.wav
    DR7 over -8.40 dB 06 - Overnight Bag.wav
    DR7 over -8.35 dB 07 - Cruise On Out.wav
    DR7 over -7.63 dB 08 - Brute Force & Ignorance.wav
    DR7 over -8.50 dB 09 - Fuel to the Fire.wav
    DR8 -0.03 dB -10.07 dB 10 - Wheels Within Wheels [Alt. Version].wav
    DR7 -1.97 dB -10.17 dB 11 - Cut a Dash.wav
    DR7 -2.00 dB -9.79 dB 12 - Out on the Tiles.wav

Number of Files: 12
    Official DR Value: DR7

Therefore I cannot recommend the 2018 over the 2011, and find myself very disappointed at having no other option but to live with it, and I think this would be my favourite Rory album, the live second disc is phenomenal, and prefer it to Stagestruck and Irish Tour '74.

Hope this is helpful.

Plan9 and rjstauber like this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Notes From San Francisco is a great album destroyed by ridiculous loudness.

Welcome to the forum, and don't stop Rorying!

wgriel and Plan9 like this.
  24. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Another mastering......after I thought I was good (or good enough...) with the 2012 mastering.
    Tattoo
    Blueprint
    Calling Card
    Against The Grain
    Photo Finish
    Top Priority

and the 40th of Irish Tour '74

That said, this thread was a very illuminating one for me as I read through.
    As a result,
    I just bought online the Tattoo/Blueprint (2CD) & Irish Tour '74 (2CD)Intercord CDs. As I think the 2012 RM can be a "bit" edgy/grainy sounding on at least some songs/ albums IMO? Hoping the Intercords can come across more "smoother/natural" sounding even if just a little bit more than the 2012 RMs?:). Thanks.

I never got around to Deuce or the debut on CD.
    Just bought the 2018 of Deuce as well thanks @Plan9

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Plan9 and slipkid like this.
  25. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Any update as to A/B (CD comparisons) with the 2018 RMs? With Intercord CD issues? Curious.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021