Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Has anyone received their Irish Tour '74 vinyl yet? I locked down on the Amazon preorder at $9.99 and see that it has not shipped yet. By odd coincidence, last weekend I found/bought an original pressing locally (record 1 is STERLING RL on both sides), NM, for $9.99. I have not had a chance to clean & play the original. I was going to cancel the Amazon buy but the price posted is now $50.99 (?).

2. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Mine is arriving in a week. I also saw that crazy price jump at Amazon, not sure who would buy at that price when there seem to be plenty of other options and issues available. Maybe this one is a sonic masterpiece, lol?

3. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Waiting on mine as well; price was too good to pass up....

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Funny how everyone loves Irish Tour. - I ordered Stage Struck, which I enjoy more because it ROCKS start to finish.

5. cacaaaaaaw

I already have Stage Stuck and it does indeed ROCK. Thought it would be a good idea to diversify my Rory.

6. Chris Schoen

Got the new one?

7. cacaaaaaaw

Nope, it's a Chrysalis. They should have made the new one a double with the bonus tracks from the CD reissue.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  8. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Does it come with the Hall Cat/Nothing but the Devil bonus single?

9. Chris Schoen

Not sure, am waiting delivery.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not everyone. I much prefer StageStruck (and his albums post-Irish tour, where he amped up the rock and turned down the "blues" starting with Against the Grain up through Jinx).

scotti and Chris Schoen like this.
  11. Chris Schoen

Against The Grain is my favorite RG album. Love my original vinyl and flat transfer Japan cd. :righton:

slipkid and rockerreds like this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well at least this thread got some of us talking and listening to Rory front and center more lately, even if these new reissues are not worth the price they are selling for...unless you got lucky on Amazon before the prices changed.

Firing up my Japanese mini sleeve of Stage Struck today because of these comments...its one of the three CDs included in the replica Japanese mini sleeve slip case box I have which is designed after the 'Live In Europe" cover and includes that release of course as well as Irish Tour and Stage Struck...

Another highly recommended title from the harder rocking era that I love as well is "Defender", a very cool album to just crank up and jam away too!

Frank Field, slipkid and Spadeygrove like this.
  13. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

Top Priority is the only one I didn't have until this new round of reissues. Rather than regretting missing it first time around, I'm just glad I got to hear a great "new" (to me) Rory album. It's excellent!

DrBeatle, Spadeygrove and slipkid like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Think that one is my personal fave. Calling Card is way up there too but TP is just razor sharp six stringing throughout.

DrBeatle and Spadeygrove like this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Honestly, just start with the first one and get them one by one, witnessing his development. The man never made a bad album.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Man, what a gorgeous shot! Light, colours, texture.... everything. What a breath of fresh air to see images like that in these days of digital cameras. Today's technology may be very convenient and all, but it just doesn't hold a candle to FILM.

On a different note... Interesting to see that bridge pickup. Those look like big pole pieces. A Schecter, perhaps?

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I dunno - did he have mods to that axe? I've seen him with other guitars with definite replacement pickups (like humbuckers?).

18. cacaaaaaaw

Spun the new Irish Tour and it sounded great. Nice pressing, dead quiet and flat. Such great jams on the back half of the album. Pretty sure this exploration is why Irish Tour is held in such high regard? Europe Tour and Stage Struck are great but Rory doesn’t stretch out on those like he does here.

Xabby likes this.
  19. twister

twister Forum Resident

I got a bonus single Hell Cat/Nothing but the Devil with my original copy of Defender is this the same single ?

20. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I don't know I got it with Stage Struck, I only have Defender on cd
    Rory Gallagher - Stage Struck

21. twister

twister Forum Resident

Thanks Mark, I'm guessing it's the same one.

Mark Snowden likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Chris which cd version of Against The Grain is a flat transfer? Also are any other RG albums done on cd as a flat transfer?

23. twister

twister Forum Resident

Oh well they aren’t great photo’s, I can’t seem to delete the original posts.

24. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Intercord West Germany and sound great especially the first album you can also get tattoo and blueprint as a double CD look on Discogs eBay bit expensive do

Flaming Torch likes this.
  25. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I finally had a chance to listen to the nine vinyl reissues that I've grabbed during the past couple weeks.

I can say that in my case at least, these are some of the best-pressed LPs I've ever heard: There's maybe a small handful of light ticks or pops spread across the entire collection. I can't tell from the deadwax who pressed these, but this is exactly how vinyl should be done in my opinion. I genuinely hope others have the same kind of luck if they're planning on getting these.

The sound seems to me to be nice and warm, and not "digital" sounding at all, but I don't have originals on hand to compare.

The download cards include access to CD resolution WAV files, but they download the songs in alphabetical order so you have to tag them by hand to get the original running order of the LP. Not sure why Universal would do it this way, but there you have it.