Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Plan9 likes this.
  2. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

The second track on the set, Nothin’ But The Devil (Unreleased track from the Against The Grain album sessions 1975) is available Now on Spotify. It times in at 4:58.

3. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Can't wait for this release either! Surely will buy the 3CD deluxe and the 2LP Blue Vinyl.

4. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

How many more times will they remaster RG albums? They have been done at least three times. Each time makes them sound worse than the last.

Leroyd likes this.
  5. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Tend to agree. Many of the original recordings, on vinyl at least, sound great. Maybe its a business decision to generate sales, or maybe it is beacause that many of the recordings of this era did not transfer all that well to CD.

hyntsonsvmse likes this.
  6. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

This is so true. My Cd player(a cyrus) is particularly hard on bad recordings. Classic rock on cd from bands such as Deep Purple are unplayable on my system. I have some RG on cd and sound is variable. I saw him three times and his studio work was poor compared to him live. My fave album is his first.

patrickd and Leroyd like this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I may be wrong but I thought I had the impression folk who know the RG catalogue well thought the recent cd and vinyl reissues were pretty good.
    My cds are a bunch of various masters going back to the early cds.
    The forthcoming set looks great. Hi res downloads of the catalogue would also be great.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, either the 2012 or 2018 remasters sound good (the 2018 being even better in some instances).

The original CDs for the most part sound excellent as well (especially the Intercord's).

Really only the 1998-2000 remixes (and the Big Guns best-of) -reissued until 2012- are pretty bad.

Some of the original vinyl wasn't all that fantastic to be honest.

And yes I have compared almost all of them...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  9. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

But a succession of remasters is needless. Its just money grabbing. As for hires. Well they will just be 16bit upscales so will sound worse at 24bit than 16bit. And hires is just more money grabbing. If you have the cd's or the records then you really don't need hires.

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well my original records are pretty old like me but I guess I should do hi res needledrops of them. I quite like some of the hi res releases of albums from the 60s and 70s that I have. I do not mind them reissuing catalogues like RG's - it is good it is all in print.

Plan9 likes this.
  11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Why do you say that?

12. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Agree with everything you say. I have the the much sought after DCC remaster of Purples ' Made in Japan' and it does not come close to the porky vinyl edition.

13. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

I have not compared all of them but I have his first album, Irish Tour and live in Europe on both vinyl and CD. IME, the vinyl sounds better and by some distance.

scotti likes this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have most of his albums on Japanese mini sleeves and they sound good. Have the original vinyl pressings and some of the most recent vinyl reissues and they sound nice as well. I quit buying standard CD releases years a go because of the compressed BS that is happening with a lot of the mastering that goes on these days. Just another reason why so many of us choose to listen to vinyl, a much better listening experience. When CD's are mastered properly, I still to listen to them as well though...

Cranked up my original British vinyl pressing of the first "Taste" album recently and just had a nice smile on my face as the music played...

Leroyd likes this.
  15. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I have Rory's original stuff entirely on vinyl and bought various versions of CDs along the way ....now I hear last year's remasters are the best ones? Ah, I can't keep up! I'll stick to my old records when I really want to enjoy Rory but I think I am going for the 3CD set of this new one just to get the tracks. If it's good, I'll pick up the vinyl version but these multiple format, different-tracks compilations drive me nuts.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not necessarily, but it is the best option for Deuce, though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  17. 303 Squadron

303 Squadron Forum Resident

After a few recommedations here, I bought Irish Tour on Intercord. The CD is on its way. I am looking forward to checking the sq.

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

While pre-ordering the new "Blues" set I discovered that there are a few grey area live Rory releases out there being sold legally now. I ordered one of them, a 1985 show.

19. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

What else can they be? All there are are the original analogue masters and they won't use those due to cost and then theres the cd masters which are 16bit.
    Everything on tidal are just 16bit upscales. You cant actually upscale in reality. Thats why these files usually sound worse than the original file they are derived from.
    As always its about the source. No matter what, the RG sources can only ever be analogue or the cd copy.

20. F.U.B.B

F.U.B.B Forum Resident

Argus - WA, Zep 4, Deuce, Thank Christ for the Bomb and Split and Cream - Hits were my first bundle. Some really great sounds - still buying the self same albums on a near yearly basis ever since dam it!

Purple Jim likes this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'd like to address several misconceptions in your message:

Plenty of lower-profile artists have been transfered in true 24bit from the analogue masters for a new mastering. There is no reason why the RG albums couldn't be transfered and sold as Hi-Res downloads if the rights holders want to. They have most probably already been transfered in 24bit for the 201x CD remasters.

Straight 16bit to 24bit upsamples sold as "true Hi-Res" downloads are actually pretty rare. Also, you can totally upsample 16bit to 24bit without changing the sound. You just put the 16bit data into a 24bit container, essentially padding the useless data with zeroes. It can be a lossless process, and the manipulation is visible when analysed with a bitmeter. As it doesn't change the audio data it doesn't alter the sound.

Tidal: are you refering to the MQA versions? These are actually lossy compressed (even when decoded to full "Hi-Res"), and they have been processed through the MQA "special sauce", which is why they might sound worse to you than the original normal lossless files.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    unclefred likes this.
  22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Mr Plan9 said it better (and nicer!) than I would.

23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I've got Live in Europe, The Irish Tour and BBC. I would like to explore his studio albums. Open to suggestions on where to start with the studio stuff. Any help is much appreciated.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The first two albums (self-titled and Deuce) are a great entry point for Rory's unique blend of music.

Man at C&A and Coricama like this.
  25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My overview of his albums with recommendations based on what phase of Rory might most appeal to the reader (blues vs rock etc) is here in page 2 of this thread:

Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Coricama likes this.