"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Me too! I had no idea he was even Irish until years after his death.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I guess they will have to write out Johnny Galecki too. He's on a different network with The Big Bang Theory and probably due to contract, wouldn't be able to appear.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

The toughest part will be finding a production crew that is willing to stick with her for eight episodes. She's funny, but has morphed into a legitimate nutcase since her show previously aired. Sponsors will not be happy with her hate-filled tweets and lunatic rants.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Quoted for truth...

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that's a shame. I thought he and Sara Gilbert had great chemistry together.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Earlier stories about the revival said he would be in it, although probably not in a major role.

7. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Norm Macdonald, who wrote for the old show volunteered to write for the revival. I have no idea if Roseanne took him up on the offer or not.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

did you watch the show? The final episode says they neverwon the lottery

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The final episode said a lot of stupid crap. :shrug: They never should have let Roseanne write the lottery win into continuity in the first place.

10. Matthew Tate

Its not. Its part of stuff she made up after dan died. Pretty much all of the last season was just made up stuff.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The whole show was "made up" by the Roseanne character if you listen to what she says at the end of the episode- not just the last season.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

... and that was just a stupid idea that they should completely forget about.

13. Matthew Tate

yes the whole show was "made up" but most of the show was suppose to be fairly accurate until the last season. she changed a handful of details for the book like who married who and that dan died but the entire last season not one of those things actually was suppose to be real or have happened to her

14. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

15. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Um, ara, wasn't that Penny from the release of the latest lost in space? Shes a looking good from here.[​IMG]Man o' man I dig purty Cajun gals!

16. And now that we've watched that video, we remember how good it was and decided not to watch the new series so that nothing can spoil our fond memories! :unhunh:

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is also a good reason to stop watching the show after roughly the end of Season 6. :)

MikaelaArsenault and KatCassidy like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no clooney?

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh man now that would be an interesting guest appearance...

20. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It would be interesting to see how the Connors relate to the current situation in America. Maybe Mark will have gotten into trouble with heroin? I have a little bit more faith in Roseanne than some. But still, not totally sold on it.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the original show, and even grew to have some appreciation for the final season eventually, with its weird surreal shift in style of humor.

But I just think this new thing will be bloated and unfunny. Roseanne is nuts these days, and it was her comedic timing and social insight that was part of what made the show interesting *and* funny back then. She now appears to be insane, and also doesn't appear to have exactly a real sense of humor anymore.

It doesn't help that Goodman and Gilbert's little sketch, even with Roseanne out of the picture, wasn't funny either. Not that that should be a huge indication of how a show would be.

I still maintain the show was funniest when the family was struggling financially, the kids were kids. It hit its best run around the time Roseanne worked at the mall coffee shop and Martin Mull was her boss. The things that made the show funniest were already "over" during the end of the show's original run.

I'm still guessing the new episodes are going to end up super "meta" and surreal, which is probably the best chance it has for being funny. (As in stuff they did in later seasons of the original show like making jokes about swapping Beckys, having both Beckys on at the same time, having two characters cycle back through the living room over and over reading the same lines and freaking DJ out, and eventually they even did an episode where they just left in botched "blooper" takes, like literally left multiple takes of the same scene in the body of the episode).

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I hope Natalie West ("Crystal") gets a little cameo appearance. I thought she was really funny on the show.

23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

These days? She's been nuts since the beginning. If anything, she's tamed down a little. That's my biggest worry. That the show will have lost its subversive edge.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I want it to be funny, not edgy. The edgier the show got, the less funny it became.

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Maybe personality wise (as in, how she works on set with showrunners and writers and producers) she has always been "difficult." But I'm talking about the conspiracy theory type stuff she posts about online. I don't sense she was like *that" back in the late 80s and early 90s, and I think her current political/conspiracy theory mindset impacts her potential to write comedy.

AKA and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.