"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

goodiesguy likes this.
  2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

She was never on the View.

And what do you mean by effective? You mean you like her as a commentator/chat show host than as an actress?

3. Sorry iPhone typos. Corrected.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

FYI- Roseanne is still (re)tweeting up a storm. She is not going away quietly.

5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Holy cow. She is retweeting some crazy stuff.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

She's got nothing to lose now.

Jrr and bartels76 like this.
  7. bartels76

Yeah it got WAY crazier.

8. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

So much for "I am now leaving Twitter".

905 likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and Snapchat and discussion groups like this are only as bad as the people using them. If people just used restraint and common sense, it'd be fine. Just be kind and treat people fairly. "First, don't be an a-hole" should be high on the list for anybody in business (especially in Hollywood).

Gilbert is on The Talk, but it's the same deal.

I think when you're a very visible celebrity with a million followers who has a large measure of fame and wealth, you have a responsibility to not blurt out obnoxious comments that can be construed as hostile or violent or racist or sexist. I think there's a way to disagree with somebody politically without resorting to gross insults.

If I had anywhere near De Lotto money, you can be damned straight I'd have a PR team watching me like a hawk so that I didn't shoot my mouth off and say something in public that would get me sued, arrested, make me embarrassed, or lose business because of it. As much of a loudmouth as I am around here, there have been times when I've typed out a message, stared at it as my finger hovered over the "Reply" button, and then said... "ah, nope, let's just forget about it," and I delete the message and nobody sees it.

And I would also make sure that anybody who worked for me (including me) followed very strict rules to avoid any possibility of libel or slander or lawsuits or threats or hurt feelings. I think it's possible to tell somebody, "I really hate that thing you did" vs. "I hate your guts and want you dead." Two very different things.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm off to twitter...

11. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I think technology has far exceeded and accelerated past the point of most user's ability to use it without widespread harmful consequences.

JimW, troggy and Tristero like this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

swandown and bartels76 like this.
  13. Grant

So, when will most people be ready to handle it? Ever?

14. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

[QUOTE="Grant, post: 18789928, member: 91"And, I applaud ABC for taking a stand of morals over money for once. [/QUOTE]
    This is just damage control. There would have been a mob at the ABC gates had they not cancelled.

OldSoul likes this.
  15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I only feel bad for the cast and crew out of a job.

16. Grant

Like I said, they could have waited for it all to die down. It's not like this is the first time she's said something similar about a Black person.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's for sure - these things explode in less than a day; amazing, really.

18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

They should just make John Goodman the lead.

19. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I think we need to all take a breath and go watch The Planet Of The Apes to try to figure this all out. And who is George Soros?

20. bartels76

Roseanne Barr‏@therealroseanne 18m18 minutes ago
    Don't feel sorry for me, guys!!-I just want to apologize to the hundreds of people,and wonderful writers (all liberal) and talented actors who lost their jobs on my show due to my stupid tweet. I will be on Joe Rogan's podcast friday.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

TV networks are in the business of making money, not curating history. Her behavior has made them decide that at the moment, airing reruns of her original, landmark show are not profitable for them in terms of the overall cost value equation. It's a capitalist decision. The show is not being erased from history, nor is it being taken off the market completely (DVDs are still available). Whether the show remains off broadcast TV probably depends on what Roseanne does (or does not do) to "fix" her public image. If her tinfoil hat conspiracy beliefs are more important to her than her legacy or her career as an entertainer, then maybe her show will remain off the air. That's her choice.

JoeRockhead, LitHum05 and OldSoul like this.
  22. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

It's probably the first time she said something similar while she was an active employee of ABC/Disney.

But yeah, I think ABC probably could have tried the "let's see if it all blows over" option. But there were risks involved with that option, and ABC is not into taking risks right now.

23. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Twitter is a pesticide. A ritual mat where celebrity idiots can kneel in public and perform career seppuku but without the honour. They cannot resist.

D.D.

24. Racism is not temporary. It’s not like a cold that goes away after a week. It’s more like cancer that eats you out from the inside and lasts for years or kills you. .

geo50000, Drifter, Deesky and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.