Rotel CD1572 vs CD11 Tribute

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeJedi, Jan 17, 2021.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi peeps. Looking at seriously adding an additional dedicated CD player to my 2nd stereo (future system for upstairs loft in new house) Yamaha AS2200 , Klipsch RB 5 , Technics SL1200GR and Oppo SACD/CD. Just want to have a dedicated CD option. So...trying to get some info if possible in this separate thread .. :)

Anyone know the difference in sound or build quality between the Rotel 1572 and Tribute CD11. ? I know the Rotel 1572 has the Wolfson DAC but the tribute has the TI DAC and the Ken Ishiwata (RiP) tweaks. And the 1572 has balanced outs. Why is the 1572 more $$ ? I mean the Tribute one has the tweaks so you would think would be the same $$ as the 1572 or am I missing something ? Lol. That said they both look Like solid CDPs. I wish there were more reviews of the 1572. :) I saw some of the schematics and they are more similar than not. Any ideas ? I have always wanted a good solid high end dedicated CD player for the $$. And the Rotels have always looked good to me for the $$.

TONY MAGS likes this.
  2. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

Hi Jedi,
    I almost bought a Rotel CDP, I've read they're very good CD players. I ended-up getting a Simaudio Moon 260D transport only.
    You mentioned in your post regarding the Rotel Tribute having the TI (Texas Instruments) dac chip. I haven't listened to the Tribute CDP; but I have a Class D Audio SDS470C amp, that is TI ( Texas Instruments ) It is a wonderful sounding amplifier!
    Considering the fact that my ET LFT-8b hybrids are very resolving speakers, they'll definitely expose a way link in an audio system; the SDS with the TI board really shines.
    I know DAC chips and Amp boards are quite different; In my opinion, if TI makes a darn good Class D amp module, their DAC chip is going to shine also. Listening is of course what decides it.
    TI seems to fly quietly "under the radar",
    compared to Wolfson, AKM, ESS and others.

I know, I'm rambling on, LOL! I'm not sure of the noticable price difference between the two. Could it be the demand for the 1572?
    If you could listen to both, that would be best, but it's not always feasible.
    Let us know which one you choose and how it sounds in your rig.

3. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Without having detailed info to hand, historically the difference between the '0 and '10 series was mainly in the power supplies. Some debate about whether (beyond a point) that is academic in a digital source component. Both are nice bits of kit. I'd be tempted to go for the cheaper one and use the money saved for an external DAC.

Scratcha and rodentdog like this.
  4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Than why buy a CDP to begin with? Transport + DAC makes more sense that way, no?

Larry Hoffman and Scratcha like this.
  5. Benzion

I haven't heard either unit, but have been eying the Rotel 1572 for a while. I'd go with the 1572 for one simple reason - it is Rotel's top of the line player to begin with, as opposed to tweaks designed to make a cheaper player better.

The differences are in the DAC chip, power supplies, and possibly better caps and such.

6. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

It was once felt that the end consumer would not tolerate two boxes to play CDs, and so the offboard DAC died a death for a while. It is now very much back in vogue.

Scratcha and Art K like this.
  7. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

My CD14 sounds real good

Scratcha and MikeJedi like this.
  8. Benzion

I must have missed that memo - I've gone all separates. No integrated amps, no built-in phonos or DAC's, I like a dedicated box for everything. I do still own two CDP's, but one of them is a special unit - custom-built in Japan, with Philips 1543 NOS (non-oversampling) DAC chip and outboard power supply. The other is Onkyo 7030, which I bought for the bedroom system, where it still soldiers on.

9. MikeJedi

I wish there would be a write up somewhere where you can see a reviewer that listened to the Tribute and the 1572 and compare . The innards look similar altho the Tribute has the upgraded parts but the 1572 I think has maybe a bigger power supply and maybe extra capacitance banks I think that’s the best way I can describe what I see but I could be wrong lol!

Scratcha likes this.
  10. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

Really curious to hear from anyone who has heard the CD11 Tribute. Either this or the Marantz CD6007 will be my next CD player.

zardoz, MikeJedi and Art K like this.
  11. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Buy the Rotel.

12. MikeJedi

The CD11 is getting really good reviews. Maybe it punches way above it weight and can be compared to higher priced pieces ?

Scratcha likes this.
  13. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

Bought the CD11 Tribute this morning. It should ship in early February. I’ll report back after I have some time to listen.

14. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Ive been looking seriously at the Rotel at 399 in Richer Sounds Belfast appears a deal and they wouldnt put KI (RIP) name to it unless they felt it was a good unit as he was highly respected. I feel it could be a bargain buy. With all this Covid nightmare I wont get to test it. I currently have 3 CD players, a Marantz CD5001 ose, Arcam Alpha 7 (because im insane I ripped the display out of it as I percieved it was making a faint ringing noise) and my current set up a Sony DVP- NS930V as a transport into a TEAC UD-H01 DAC. For some reason I think the Marantz has a rattling drawer and I dont like it, the Arcam has a great drawer but the tit I am now cant enjoy it without a display. The Sony has a good drawer so for now its my machine.

garythain likes this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

Best Buy carries Rotel CD14's. I got one open box for 300-ish dollars. scratched on top but I didn't care. worth going in and asking.

16. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Have you been able to get acquainted with the Rotel? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

MikeJedi likes this.
  17. heavysoul

heavysoul Forum Resident

I’ve had it for a week and am loving the way it sounds so far. I’m a vinyl guy, so I don’t have a lot of experience with newer (i.e., anything made after 1994!) CD players. But this player produces an engaging sound that I’m enjoying as much as my turntable. It sounds full and alive. I’ve had a few moments in the last week when I’ve gone back to vinyl and after a few moments forgot that it wasn’t the CD player that was playing.

I like it aesthetically. I have the black one, and it meshes nicely with my other components. I like the minimal look. It’s a drawer into which a CD goes. I don’t want a USB input or any of that stuff. This player does one thing and that’s what I wanted.

So far it has played everything I’ve thrown at it, without a single skip, including scratched discs and other discs that skipped on my other (much older) players.

The drawer is perhaps just slightly noisier than I expected when it opens and closes, but it’s certainly quieter than that obnoxious mechanism on my Sony 5-disc changer which is now sitting in the closet. I have no idea how this part of it might compare to other newer players, though.

A single thing I don’t like: the bright blue LED light that shines when the player is on. My Marantz PM8006 integrated amp has a subtle and pleasant blue light that is on while operating, but the light on this CD11 is garish, annoying, and out of step with the minimal elegance of the rest of it.

I have no idea how reliable it will be. I’ve had it only 7 days. But I’m very happy with it at the moment and I’m glad I bought it. But again, my experience with CD players made after the end of the Clinton administration is very limited, so take this all with a grain of salt.

garythain, wgriel and The Beave like this.
  18. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

This sounds really intriguing. I just bought one of the Tribute 11's on Sunday and it was supposed to get delivered by FedEx yesterday, but the delivery date went away and their using the weather as an excuse.
    But I am hoping it has an 'analog' sound signature, I'm done with Digital Glare so so many Delta Sigma Dacs.
    Beave

Eigenvector likes this.
  19. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing your experience. The experience of listening to records and forgetting it's NOT the CD player is what I hope to obtain.

I also do not want a USB port. My beloved Marantz CD5004 is showing signs of decline. They have discontinued the 5000 series and the 6007 has a USB drive. It feels like I'm paying for a feature I don't want or need. The Rotel appears to be a worthy alternative.

I would like to purchase a PM8006 in the near future so I was pleased to discover it's a good match with the Rotel.

Art K likes this.
  20. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

The Rotel A12 and A14 are really nice

21. Art K

Any reason not to match up the Rotel player with a Rotel amp? Just a question. I’ve owned several all Rotel setups. Very nice.

wgriel and The Beave like this.
  22. The Beave

Still haven’t got my 11tribute, now two days past due.
    Fedex can smd.
    I bought a cd set from Japan and it got here in 4 days!
    But fedex can’t do 2 day even though I paid for it?
    On my schiit list.
    Damn,!!!
    Beave

Rick58 and rodentdog like this.
  23. james

james Summon The Queen

Running a CD14 with digital coaxial out into a Yamaha A-S801 (ESS Sabre) and running the Rotel’s analog outputs into the Yamaha. I can quickly switch between the two. I’m surprised at how different they sound.

I have to say that I prefer the Rotel as a transport at this point. I’ve always thought the AS-801’s killer feature was its performance as a digital front end, so maybe I just prefer the Sabre DAC sound?

garythain and johnny q like this.
  24. Art K

That’s possible. I have very much disliked anything I’ve heard with a Sabre DAC and tend to like players with Wolfsen or Burr-Brown chips...can’t say why but that’s been my experience.

Sneaky Pete, Rick58 and The Beave like this.
  25. The Beave

Hey, I was a big fan of the ESS SABRE 9038 pro dac far a long time, a fine dac, but now I prefer the old Philips 1541 ladder dac’s. But everyone has different tastes and there’s enough to go around! So it’s all good.
    Beave

Rick58 and Art K like this.