Rough Trade New York moving to ?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Mazzy, Jan 19, 2021.

1. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

There was an article posted earlier in this thread and Rough Trade basically said that it was a wash rent wise vs their old location; higher rates but smaller footprint plus a landlord who seems to be prioritising the type of retail at street level rather than rent maximisation.

2. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Sounds like Amoeba but Amoeba had the building. 30 Rock....Whoah! (Fonz wolf call '77).

3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I was passing by Radio City and thought I’d check out the new location. Wow what a disappointment! I can’t say I’m too surprised but man what a difference between this and the Williamsburg location. I counted maybe 5 or 6 tables/racks of records and they had the reggae squeezed in with the punk/ metal etc. I knew it was going to be a tourist spot but the size and selection makes it look like a pop up boutique store. If there were more floors that I missed that’s on me, but I don’t think I missed any. I get it ,NY real estate isn’t cheap and all etc etc but still shocked at the downsize. It’s so much easier to get to by subway for me but unfortunately there’s no
    reason for me to go back. Hopefully it does well enough to expand some day..

bmh5879 likes this.
  4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

5 or 6 tables and 30 Rock location? Good lord, can they pay the electricity bill?

5. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Forum Resident

Small CD selection....NOT interested ! I don't do vinyl, so it's not a place for me
    Can't wait to get to the West Coast and get to Amoeba

NYC remains a music buyer's wasteland....

bmh5879 likes this.
  6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Been dead for years. Looking forward to Amoeba? In '72 the bumper stickers said "Nixon now more than ever"....now it should be "Rockaway, now more than ever".

7. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I mentioned this in the Vintage Vinyl closing thread, but the stores in NJ/NYC make it easier to shop online as far as I'm concerned. I am pretty much down to Jack's and Prex for used CD shopping at this point. Everyone else just prices used vinyl based off of Discogs at this point. And I buy most new vinyl through Amazon or direct from smaller artists/labels.

Bummed to hear about Rough Trade. Williamsburg was a cool spot and I saw The Church and Ryan Adams play there which were both really great shows.

8. btstu

btstu Well-Known Member

There are still a good amount of record stores open in the city, I think we're just seeing a shift away from Rough Trade / Amoeba / Tower type places that sell everything, and more towards specialized boutique-type stores. That may be a consequence of ever-increasing rents, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

For rock, metal, and punk music Generation Records and Limited to One in the east village are excellent; for jazz the Jazz Record Center can't be beat; for most genres late '70s-'90s A1 Record Shop is awesome (pretty good jazz selection too); for hip-hop, R&B, and pretty much any new releases / RSD there's Rock & Soul DJ in midtown, a cool spot nobody ever mentions. I don't like Stranded due to the prices and the staff but I know some people really enjoy going there. I do like Academy on 18th street, small selection but usually some cool stuff if you keep an open mind. (Also great Criterion Collection blu-ray selection)

We can all lament when more stores were open, but there are plenty of cool spots still open today. Everything I just named is in Manhattan—there are probably twice as many in Brooklyn!

zphage likes this.
  9. btstu

btstu Well-Known Member

They have been closed since covid but I think are getting ready to reopen in a new location in Brooklyn

It is now!

baconbadge and Tommyboy like this.