Rough Trade Sale coming May 21 ...

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by DapperGentleman, May 18, 2021.

1. ithinkyracontra

ithinkyracontra Forum Resident

First cancellation just came...

2. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Ah, okay. It's not just me. They cancelled all of mine.

Just puzzled that they couldn't figure out what was or wasn't in stock in the first seven days of the order? Assuming they must do fulfillment from somewhere else, that would explain the huge disconnect.

3. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Nothing cancelled and nothing shipped. The wait continues.

hutlock and UHLawdog like this.
  4. throwingthings

throwingthings Well-Known Member

i got a shipping notification today for the one record i bought. *surely* i can't be the only person who sprung for a heavily-discounted deluxe reissue of the first album by c86 also-rans 14 Iced Bears?!!

5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow, that was long gone by the time I started going through the sale, but I would have if I had seen it!

UnknownEric likes this.
  6. hutlock

This dawned on me too. The only other thing I thought was that it was literally all in one location and is being done by hand, therefore requiring a manual delete by the person picking the orders.

Neither one makes much sense to me. If you have your inventory online, it stands to reason that if someone buys it online, you reduce that same online inventory by one until you get to zero, then delete it or post a “Notify Me” or whatever else. Honestly does not seem that difficult but they seem to have picked the worst possible system, whatever it is.

SJP and superstar19 like this.
  7. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure that Rough Trade has its own stock and its own warehouse. When they moved the retail location (from Brooklyn to Mid-Town New York City), they said they were going to maintain the mail order operations in Brooklyn, but at a smaller location in the suburb there of Greenpoint.

I remember shopping at the Brooklyn retail location and seeing the clerks pulling mail orders right from the retail bins along side me.

I remember hearing that you could pick up mail orders from their Greenpoint warehouse or from their New York City retail store - I have no first-hand experience.

=============================
    As an aside, here is my updated personal experience with my Rough Trade orders. I ordered a slew of stuff. Remember I started the night before most people did, and there were titles there that sold out and never re-appeared.

There are at least 4,000 orders implied between my first order and my last order, and the sale has continued for several days since. I don't know how big the staff is, but I'll guess it's fairly small. How many orders can they pull and ship out in a workday? 200? 300? That implies 2 - 3 weeks to fill all the orders, and I'm sure the cancellations and answering questions slows them down further.

Finally, I don't see any actual shipping confirmation on anything yet.

17868xx 15 items ordered
    0 cancelled, 14 shipped, leaves 1
    17868xx 12 items ordered
    0 cancelled, 11 shipped, leaves 1
    17872xx 15 items ordered
    1 cancelled, 11 shipped, leaves 3
    17872xy 14 items ordered
    1 cancelled, 11 shipped, leaves 2
    17876xx 9 items ordered
    0 cancelled, 7 shipped, leaves 2
    17901xx 13 items ordered
    1 cancelled, 0 shipped, leaves 12
    17901xx 7 items ordered
    1 cancelled, 0 shipped, leaves 6
    17909xx 7 items ordered
    0 cancelled, 0 shipped, leaves 7

Totals:

4 cancelled, 54 items 'shipped', 34 remaining

SJP, mrjinks, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  8. DapperGentleman

Update:

24 received, 4 cancelled, 30 items 'shipped', 34 remaining

================

They clearly are having problems in fulfillment there. I have had no emails of any kind since Monday. However, three packages have arrived in California (11, 13 and 1), as they had previously alerted. All were well packed and arrived quickly and safely. All the items had Rough Trade Store price stickers on them, so I don't think they are doing orders from wholesalers or anything.

It's all damned frustrating, I understand that. Still, when the records arrive and I see the prices I paid, it gives me a little warm feeling inside.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

did you actually receive shipping notices?

nothing for me other than a continued trickle of cancellations.

10. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I got a shipping notice for 6 of the 12 items in my first order on January 5th: all 3 CDs and 3 LPs. I got cancellation emails for 3 LPs but the other 3 are in limbo (presumed cancelled).

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. hutlock

I got my first shipping notice today, but it is only for one LP that I ordered. But hey… progress!

Patanoia and GentleSenator like this.
  12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I put together a rather modest order. One LP cancelled (Prefab Sprout's "A Life Of Surprises"...it was kind of pricey anyways even on sale). One CD arrived already. Shipping notice received 1/10.2022 for an order with a couple LPs and one CD but it has yet to hit the post office. One final LP from the order remains unshipped.

Having triggered free shipping, it is certainly odd that they would send three separate packages.

GentleSenator, hutlock and Patanoia like this.
  13. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

Over a week later, I'm still waiting for some sort of acknowledgement that I even placed an order. ;)

Auntie Pho and Patanoia like this.
  14. TxRangersFan

TxRangersFan Senior Member

Same here…

15. UHLawdog

UHLawdog Forum Resident

I made my single, 3-item order on January 6. One item was canceled on January 10.

Since then, silence.

16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Always had hassles with them even with RSD items........threw in the towel and gave up on future purchases.

17. ithinkyracontra

ithinkyracontra Forum Resident

Same here, single, 4-item order on January 6. One item was canceled on January 11. Radio silence since then.

18. hutlock

Well, the Brooklyn store is closed today for “inventory” so I’m hoping that helps with all of these issues…

TxRangersFan, Patanoia and cut-out like this.
  19. DapperGentleman

I half-expected to learn the entire warehouse crew up-and-quit last week.

But, I'm not sure what your post means. Is there a message from Rough Trade online somewhere today? The Brooklyn retail store has been closed for a year now. Are they referring to their warehouse / shipping post in Greenpoint, Brooklyn?

20. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

More of the same for me—Jan 6, ordered 4 lps, no emails whatsoever. Also, there's no 'Contact us' on the website.

21. hutlock

Contact us—you can do a live chat or you can call the store, so you need to do it during NYC business hours.

cut-out likes this.
  22. DapperGentleman

Ah, OK. Then, I emphatically agree that this inventory closure is related to their sale / shipping problems. The store is small and wouldn't take long to inventory (unless they have a large backstock, of course.) It may also be they need to pull those personnel over to Brooklyn to pack and ship.

cut-out and hutlock like this.
  23. ATMP

ATMP Forum Resident

Well I just got a shipping notice for one of the 2 things I didn’t get a cancellation notice for. No word about the second though. But, progress is progress.

hutlock, DapperGentleman and Patanoia like this.
  24. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I ordered two LPs on January 4th; one was cancelled. I emailed their customer support on Saturday and was told "Our warehouse is experiencing severe delays in their fulfillment procedures, resulting in a significant backlog of unfulfilled orders."

hutlock and Patanoia like this.
  25. hutlock

Yeah, I think we all knew that without them telling us… oh well. It is what it is.

jason202 and GentleSenator like this.