'Round Midnight (1986) with Dexter Gordon is Getting a Criterion Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Roman Potato Chip, Jan 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd never heard about Lars being Dexter's godson. That's a fun bit of trivia.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Of course, can't escape reality--especially not financial reality. I can just state what I want as a consumer and spend my money accordingly. The fact is that streaming is now king, and everything else is niche. Sad but true. And if Criterion produced all its titles as a 3-disc set (DVD, BD, 4K/UHD) and jacked up the price, maybe they'd sell better than the way it's going now. Just a thought.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Criterion DVD/Blu packages were hated by just about everyone. Triple format with a big price bump will be a solid no. Though I do think some criterion blu ray collectors bought some of the recent BLU/4k packages for bonus stuff or slight blu upgrade.

Covid actually gave blu ray discs a noticeable bump in sales. Players were sexually a little tough to find for a couple months. A couple local DVD places had their TV sections wiped out if they were priced to move. Some titles might have flipped the same copies 3-4 times by now inn the past 2 years.

Ă“doligie likes this.
  4. Roman Potato Chip

Uhh... Freudian slip?

trd likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Spell check on my device is cranked too high. "Unusually" turned into that.

trd and Roman Potato Chip like this.
  6. trd

trd Forum Resident

Received my copy last week and was able to watch it this weekend. My first time seeing this film! It was excellent and as someone mentioned in another thread, stylistically it is such a departure (thankfully!) from the modern Hollywood biopic.

Roman Potato Chip, Radio and GregM like this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I received it and saw it over the weekend as well. Criterion did a fantastic job. I'd only seen it on VHS and DVD before, so this was a revelation both in audio and video. It's been about 10 years since I watched my DVD but I still remembered a lot of lines. "There is not enough kindness in the world."

No, they don't make'm like this anymore.

Radio and trd like this.
  8. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Just watched this for the first time last weekend. Amazing roster of jazz greats!

trd likes this.
  9. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

is it going to stream anywhere?

10. Roman Potato Chip

Not that I know of, but HBO Max or the Criterion Channel are the most likely places if it does.

mike s in nyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.