Roxy Music debut album, Deluxe/Super Deluxe Edition (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rne, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

To be fair, this is a personal problem, not something the labels can do much about. :D

I always cut around the sticker, and put it into the box. Same with the back sheet. They're not part of the box design, and are there to tempts buyers, that's all.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

BlueSpeedway and toilet_doctor like this.
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

If this aromatherapy wouldn't help, my toilet_doctor office is always open for further assistance.
    RCT (Rocking Chair Therapy) - the latest technology we can try once a day from the start.
    Please click on my avatar (once, then one more time) to see better what I mean.

BlueSpeedway and aphexj like this.
  4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Well, it looks like the joke's on me, because after clicking that link above, I'm now being followed around the internet by ads for 'Poo-Pourri'. Amazon is wondering if I'd like to buy a bottle along with a vinyl copy of Bags & Trane.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In my case the outer packaging was a bit lame. But the way the box was handled was the real reason for the damage. I've been lucky and this is the first box set out of quite a few that have been damaged.
    I don't recall the exact location but will check out of curiosity.

sekaer likes this.
  7. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

When it dropped back to $65 on Amazon, I cancelled my order at $80 and re-ordered.
    Showed up a week or so back and looks to be in great condition, no dents or dings that I can see!

8. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

10. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Thanks - have you heard it? Is it any good? I know there were complaints about some of the half-speed Abbey Road remasters.

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I’ll happily swap my 1999 Roxy Music 1CD as found in the super deluxe for the toilet spray, if anyone’s interested, as at $29.95 the spray is worth around 10 times what the CD goes for.

aphexj likes this.
  12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I haven't heard it. I thought the AR half-speed masterings were deemed satisfactory on the whole...

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Vinyl is already in the HMV (instore) sale buckets.

14. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Currently £54.99 new from Amazon UK! Now is the time!

phil1db likes this.
  15. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

16. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...price seems to have lurched upward again, but in the states I've seen it at several Barnes and Noble stores for $90. B&N are always sending out 20% off coupons to members, so you can get a pretty good deal on it if the stars align accordingly...

17. mouldman99

mouldman99 Well-Known Member

Have recently purchased the half speed remaster of Avalon. Sounds superb to me.
    Also bearing in mind some of the bad reviews of GZ pressings this one is very very quiet.
    But.......why is the sleeve around 7mm bigger than every other album I own? It is so much bigger it will not fit in the mylar outer sleeves i use.

marmil likes this.
  18. I'm not sure perhaps they are doing that for all of the Roxy Music vinyl remasters. It is perplexing.

19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

How about releasing the next one already :edthumbs::cheers:

mestreech likes this.
  20. The second album hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, even been prepped. It would be nice if they had worked on the other titles while we were waiting for the first one to be released. I honestly could do without the big format. I'd like something like the Tom Petty American Treasure set.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz Thread Starter

I could do with the same format, but not with the same insane price tag.

footlooseman and sparkmeister like this.
  22. I suspect big format is intended to justify the insane price tag.

footlooseman and Plan9 like this.
  23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

24. It's worth it for that. Once again though I really didn't need the Ludwig remaster (which I don't really care for) but wanted the remix by Wilson. That decision was bizarre to include that. Hopefully they listened to consumer feedback IF they decide to move forward with further sets. The thing is, this set should have been less expensive than the retail price to begin with. I like the way the Bowie sets are put together. I'm not necessarily wedded to a big coffee table book every time they do this. For example, the Bobbi Gentry set, it made sense because it had eight plus albums worth of material.

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I agree. My thoughts are basically for the Steven Wilson remix and for the 5.1 presentation. I love this album and I think a tasteful remixing will unclutter it a little bit. I think that I have mentioned this before, but since Ive downsized I don't really have the room for these deluxe editions and was hoping that maybe Real Gone would release the 5.1 as they did with The Alan Parsons Project. But patience is not one of my better virtues and is not included in the official Record Collecting Hobby guidelines. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.