Royal Mail Strike?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by john316, Jan 5, 2023.

1. john316

john316 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello… A ‘Yank’ here. I was hoping for some perspective on the strike happening in GB and how it affects ordering from there. My questions arise because I ordered from BYG (Gong’s Magick Brother lp) and a multiple delayed reissue was finally said to be delivered in mid December but not to expect it until late January (due to the strike ). I would have been understanding of this warning had I not also ordered from another British vender (it went in the mail a couple of days after my notification from BYG) and received it on NYE. Can someone help me understand what’s happening over there… I want to feel not jacked around for pre ordering something that was supposed to have been released in late October.

thank you

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They strike on set days and work on others. Mail is still being sent to the USA on the days they aren't striking. I had a package delivered in December, and had a slight delay before it left the UK. Once it leaves the UK, it should be unaffected.

nosliw and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yep, have patience.
    I have a 12 inch that hit the UK post Nov 30'th. Just left the Chicago hub yesterday.
    Holiday glut and weather probably had a bit to play in it also.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Fruff76 likes this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

It's more of a slowdown than a strike. Have patience.

5. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Jeff Kent and 7solqs4iago like this.
  7. TryioToast

TryioToast Forum Resident

Took over a month for my latest LP to arrive in the post after it had been dispatched. However I believe the issue isn't as bad now. There were videos flying about at the start of December of the huge backlogs in warehouses. I'd say expect a delay nonetheless.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

In the UK it seems unpredictable. I ordered 2 LPs and a CD from eBay after Christmas and got them all as quickly as ever but I still haven't got a Christmas card that was sent well before.

Kiss73 and c-eling like this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Patience is the key - especially at this time of year. Everything I sent or expected to receive, arrived. Some parcels in the UK have come through next day. Others seem to be getting stuck in the backlogs created by the strikes and take a bit longer. Certain areas in the UK are affected more than others.

Whatever you do be mindful that its not the retailers fault.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I ordered two separate CD's from the USA last year - both with identical postal service through USPS. One took 5 days to arrive to the UK, the other took 37 days. Unpredictability isn't restricted to Royal Mail at the moment

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

what's it like normally?

here something from the US can take a month to show up, from the Pacific Rim it's here in 2 days (with a customs bill for $30 arriving a month later)

12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I had three albums from different UK sellers which each arrived in London within 3 days. On one the seller was told not to post before Xmas, but he shipped after and it arrived before the new year. So, yeah, a bit hit and miss (regional differences), be prepared to be patient, and as ever, just “keep calm and carry on”…..

And yes, Iron Maiden have been honoured by having 12 Royal Mail stamps issued, available as collections. Only a few other artists have been similarly treated.

13. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

I'm a Postman & the policy generally is packets take priority over mail ( which is one of the big issues about the strikes.....but I won't go there !) . However every office is different in terms of backlogs etc.
    I would assume by now most backlogs will be cleared , however I can imagine another round of strikes can't be too far off i'm afraid.

John B Good and carlwm like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Tough time to be a postman. I live in (forlorn) hope that the management - ultimately Rishi Rich, I assume - sees sense and starts to negotiate in a civilized manner.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think my postie will have a great record collection. I was walking back from a charity shop a while ago and I'd got a very rare local pressing 70's 45 and I saw him and mentioned it and he said '"I've got that" and knew the B-side and it's history. It was an EP with one side by Discharge but not the far more famous among punk fans Discharge.

Discharge / The Filth - Anytown / Freedom

Bloody hell! Mine wasn't in great condition and I sold it for only £20!

carlwm likes this.
  16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Royal Mail are a private company. Nothing to do with Governments

carlwm likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I am aware of this but - I should imagine - just like with the railways -nothing positive will be allowed to happen without a nod from our beloved leaders.

Kiss73 and Derek Slazenger like this.
  18. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Over the years & rounds I've covered I've met quite a few people with the vinyl collecting bug & had some good chats.
    Yeah it's not the best time to be a postie, but hey I think were all struggling to some degree. Personally with me it's not so much about the money ( although that would be nice ) it's about the terms & conditions , but as I said I aint going there as this is not the place .

carlwm and Kiss73 like this.
  19. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Dave and c-eling like this.
  20. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

I ordered the Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac Chalk Farm Roundhouse Vol I & II on 12.20.2022....was here to Virginia via London on 1.2.2022.....they sent email saying it might be delayed due to strike...I though that was really fast.....no issues at all!

c-eling likes this.
  21. john316

john316 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.., I was getting frustrated with BYG… months delayed and then The email about a further delay. This helped me cool my hot head

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice at least one member caught that :laugh:

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  23. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

Service likely to be worse if 'modernisation ' happens as planned.
    Support the service and posties by supporting the strike.

Dave and carlwm like this.
  24. Bvinyl

Bvinyl Well-Known Member

I'm having delays even getting stuff from Amazon. It's a little frustrating because I have to be more diligent tracking my deliveries. :cry: