RSD 2019 - Roxy Music Remixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by irwin69, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't seen much discussion of this RSD release as I suspect like me there would have been a fair dose of scepticism about tracks with titles such as 'Idjut Boys Flange Bath Version' and multiple remixes of Ladytron. But having reluctantly spun this I would say to any Roxy fans it's worth taking the plunge.

It's sort of Ralf and Florian (ie pre-Man Machine Kraftwerk), Alan Rankine and Delia Derbyshire/Electric Storm doing Roxy.

Sound quality is surprisingly good but can't understand why it was cut as 2 x 33rpm. Could easily have fitted onto a single disc or been cut as 2 x 45rpm.

2. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Are any of the tracks posted online? I saw it in my local record store but at $45 I want to hear it first?
    I liked some of the remixes they did about 10 years ago, especially 'Editions Of You (Phones Remix)'

3. irwin69

The only thing I can find is this very short extract on Bryan Ferry's channel.

4. irwin69

And some more information Leftside Wobble

5. rediffusion

Thanks for that. I really like the short clip and am tempted to buy the release (I have seen it for $30ish online)
    Does it come with a download code?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. irwin69

Don't believe there was a download code...but then I didn't look properly. Will check tonight. The style of each mix is quite different but all (as described in the official blurb) sound 'otherworldly' and in my opinion appropriate stylistically to Roxy.

Chrome_Head and rediffusion like this.
  7. irwin69

Just checked and you are in luck there is a Sound of Vinyl download code.

8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This is one of only 3 things I was able to pick up last Saturday. Honestly, I didn't know what I was in for, and I thought it was a remix of the entire first album or something.

I hadn't got to opening and spinning it yet, and thought that if I heard samples that were crap, I would just leave it sealed and sell it (something I'm loathe to even mess with as I hate dealing with selling stuff).

Glad to hear you're giving it good marks, I will take it for a test spin. Though I wish there was more on it than 5 or 6 versions of "Ladytron" along with just one mix of "2HB". Are all the "Ladytrons" different enough from each other?

9. irwin69

That was going to be exactly my approach as well. A friend and I picked a copy each and I sacrificed my shrink. He also opened his when he got home having heard it. The Ladytrons are different enough. They should have maybe sequenced the whole thing as one suite as it is quite compelling to listen to in its entirety.

10. Chrome_Head

Thanks for the details, you've got me pretty hyped to listen to this. The short snippet sounds really cool.

11. rediffusion

Thanks. I might take the plunge ;)

12. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

there was no download code card included in the copy I picked up on Saturday.

13. irwin69

I presume that is nothing to do with the US is it? I assume they were all pressed in the same place. I'll check my matrices later and any other identifiers.

14. Chrome_Head

Finally tore into this and spun the entirety of it last night. It is enjoyable, I think my favorite bit here is the "2HB" remix with just Eno's electric piano, the bass line and the horns. Magical. Reminds me a lot of Terry Riley or even something Soft Machine would have done.

The rest is quite good to decent. I could do without so many versions of "Ladytron" but they're all mostly interesting. Record sounds great and I had no problems with mine right out of the sleeve. Not something I'm sure I needed but is an interesting curio to obtain (and isn't that RSD in a nutshell?).

I didn't find a download code in mine but I forgot to look for one, it could be jammed into one of the gatefold sleeves and I just didn't see it. Hope it's there, actually.

Leugi likes this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

For the Download, it might be the case to Elton John 11/17/70 RSD Release in a prior year where the US Version did not include a download code, but the EU version did include it, as that was also a Sound of Vinyl Card. Although, I forget the email now, I was able to get a download code with proof of purchase. Actually, not sure, nut thought I read the same Download Available only for the EU version of this year's Elton John's RSD Live Album.

I passed on the Roxy Music, as just was too many versions of Ladytron, but the reviews here have got me interested for the future to consider buying it as love Roxy Music and would have been a priority if this RSD Release contained more variety of Songs.

I am hoping for an expanded version of 'Viva' in the future for RSD or a general release, as that Great Live Album is too short.

pwhytey likes this.
  16. irwin69

Absolutely and far more creative than just another piece of splatter wax. I also got the Propaganda box set and to be honest even though I am a massive fan of the group and the ZTT label I found getting through the 8 sides of that rather laborious compared to the Roxy remixes. So totally agree this was a nice surprise. Maybe they'll go for the other extreme next year and do Avalon. Though would be great to get some other material from the early albums.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. EW99

EW99 Forum Resident

I had a download code in mine, when I enter it I get a message to say that it's valid but the link to download it doesn't appear. I sent an email to the Sound of Vinyl customer services a few days ago but no reply as yet.

Anyone with a download code managed to get it to work?

18. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Not saying that this is the case here but with a few Sound Of Vinyl download codes I have had to wait a week or so until they have the album on line and ready for downloading.

Richard

19. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Thanks for the reviews. I was planning to pick this up on Saturday, but there wasn't one copy in any of the stores I visited. Maybe it didn't reach Australia? I'm tempted to buy it online if I can find it for a good price.

20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The download code for my copy, bought in the U.K., is slipped inside the front side of the gatefold sleeve. Like @EW99 above, I am unable to access the download at this time, despite successfully redeeming the code. I, too, have fired off an e-mail to Sound of Vinyl.

As a Roxy completist, I had to have this, although modern remixes do not set my heart racing. Have to say, it is nicely presented — the sleeve and inners are lovely — and the quality of the vinyl is excellent, especially when compared to my other RSD purchase, the Dylan test pressing.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I have received an e-mail update from the download gods:

Hi - thank you for contacting us.

I am very sorry but there has been a delay in us obtaining the audio for this title from the record label. We hope to receive it in the next few days. If you have already validated a unique code the album should appear in your 'My downloads' section as soon as it becomes available.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the wait.

Kind regards
    Support

rediffusion likes this.
  22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Bought mine in haste as my car was double parked running into my local for another RSd

Do any of these tracks compare to the Cd expanded reissue box?

23. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

The title is now available for those who have a download card.
    I redeemed mine last week and today it showed up in 'my downloads' section.

rediffusion likes this.
  24. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

What a fantastic release. I'm really pleasantly surprised, love these remixes!
    ...and the downloads are 24/96 wav files :)

25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Can anyone with the download card post the support email address for Sound Of Vinyl? I didn't receive a download code with mine even though it's the same "Made In Germany" version shown in the Discogs entry. Mine arrived still sealed with the front and back stickers in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.