RSD 2020 drop list revealed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Buffalo ‘77! My favorite show!

BlueTrane and Rekkerds like this.
  2. djej

djej Forum Resident

Interested in the Kelly Finnigan "The Tales People Tell" instrumentals LP.

Bob J and jlf like this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Some places are doing online-only for RSD a week from Saturday.
    They're not taking pre-orders - they're just putting up their stock online, the day of, and people can buy what they see from their site.

You guys know of other stores doing this? Or are they mostly trying to do it in person?

4. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

I don’t know if other stores are the “some places” you referenced.
    If this must be opened up to internet orders I think it should be local pickup only and keep the items one copy a person. At least for the first 24 hours.

JRose and Christopher B like this.
  5. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I received an email from one store that’s doing prebooked appt only slots on the day

6. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Here is what my local record store posted. I think they did a fine job considering all the factors and balancing out a solution.

RECORD STORE DAY 2020
    SATURDAY, AUGUST 29TH 8:00 AM

This year’s RSD is unlike any RSD from years past. First and foremost: Safety is our #1 concern. Please read & follow all the instructions below:

* Line up at the 2nd Door (not the main entrance). (6 feet apart!) (Sign will be posted on door “Line Starts Here”)

* Line will wrap into the side parking lot to allow space and not block businesses.

* 10 customers at a time. This will allow for safe shopping. (RSD Merchandise Only!) You will enter the store and stand on the numbers on the floor. As one customer exits the main entrance, the next customer will be allowed into the que.

* If you are bringing someone with you, each of you needs to be in single file line 6 ft apart!

* Be sure to look over the RSD titles and know what you want!

* We will have the titles behind the counter! You will tell cashier what you would like and they will retrieve from crate behind counter. (This is to help cut down on cleaning!)

* 1 Copy per Title (No buying multiple copies! We want to make sure to sale to real customers and not flippers. If there are titles left, you can purchase online starting at 1PM.)

* Please leave the kids at home.

* Any signs of sickness, please stay home.

* Masks must be worn by all and it must cover your MOUTH & NOSE.

* We will be practicing social distancing, as per usual.

* We will also be selling RSD titles on our website starting at 1PM on RSD, curbside pickup will be available.

* Keep in mind… everything is fluid… things could change.

Let’s make this the best record store day ever!!!

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Personally, I am not going to line up this month, even though I have 7 items I want for each RSD drop. Depending on what happens in Sept, Oct and Nov, I may not line up on those months either - since I don't feel it appropriate. I would wear a mask, but can anyone assure that others will wear a mask and stay socially distant? We see that in a lot of cases, as per the news, there are house parties, college parties (already one week into a new college season), etc where people do not take the virus seriously.

I will take my chances with on-line orders (even if the first 3+ hours for stores that are open for in-person traffic can't put their items on-line until 1pm Eastern).

This will actually be the first RSD that I will miss standing in line, and I'm a bit miffed that RSD still sees it fit to make people gather in lines hours before store opening - when they keep mentioning that "RSD is cancelled" and this year will be different - that they just want to get the items into the store to be able to support indie stores. This year should have just been a regular sale, letting stores do what they need to do (pre-orders included) to sell the product - so that people don't have to line up during a pandemic.

Christopher B and MoonPanda like this.
  8. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Nope - having sent lots of things to the US and Canada since March, I have experienced no delays at all in mail between the UK and N. America. People haven't been getting ill in large numbers for several months now.

bootbox and JoeF. like this.
  9. Air23

Air23 Active Member

What makes the McCartney different from the recent previous release?

10. Air23

Air23 Active Member

Does anybody know what are the RSD titles that have been remastered by KG?

11. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

At some point soon the RSD organization needs to shift it’s model, it’s a bit dated at this point. I think they should have exclusives or “firsts” coming out every Friday throughout the year. THAT will generate regular traffic to independent record stores consistently throughout the year as opposed to many of them banking on two big days.

12. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Not really - the hype of the day generates sales. People end up queuing and then buy things they probably wouldn't normally. Dilute that, and the extra sales will go.

What I think is funny about RSD this year - is that people were instantly suggesting that they should just make it online-only this year, and loads of people were against it.... yet many record shops are still going on-line only anyway, just months later.

13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I might pay extra, but I think I'm just gonna buy the 5 or so releases I want online, be it from a store or ebay or discogs - just don't feel super safe dealing with in-person shopping at a record store just yet.

farewelltransmission likes this.
  14. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I really want this year to be online only or purchase via appt only at stores

15. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

My local store participants are having curbside pickup to eliminate or at least cut down the crowding inside the stores. Should be interesting to see. Also they don’t want folks in line all night, just wanting the lines to queue up 2 hrs before store opening.

16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

My go to store is not doing it. :(

I got a friend in another city who will pick up for me what I need and do online.

Kind of funny thing of note: yesterday I was checking some online sites for RSD stuff (UK imports). Some of the "first release" stuff is already for sale online!

17. liverbeat

liverbeat Well-Known Member

I always get my RSD titles early. I don't wait in lines. I am a "connected" underground record collector. If you would like to be part of this underground network, there are some rules. The most important single rule is: don't grovel and cry, when someone gets something that you don't. After all it's RSD not RSshopper day. It's about stores ending up in the black.
    Stay safe. We're all in this together.

18. djej

djej Forum Resident

Bob J and jlf like this.
  19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My local store is setting up a table outside and keeping the store itself closed. People in line, 6 feet apart and masks required, can request what they want when they reach the table. Not sure if they will have a wantlist you can check off beforehand or if you just have to tell them what you want. But this seems ok to me and better than even limiting to a few people inside at once. Wasn't sure if I'd go or not but with this setup I will go and see what I can get from my list.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m going to go along but it’s hard to judge what time to show up, I’m guessing it will still be a pretty big queue as with social distancing, it’s still a safe thing to attend.

21. liverbeat

liverbeat Well-Known Member

The Covids- 19 Best of 2019-2020 Pressed at QRP Mastered By KG. Sounding very nice!!!

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just finished listening to the remix of Instant Karma. The sound isn’t as muddy compared to the original. Nice sounding pressing too. It seems like it was pressed at Optimal.

The record comes with a poly lined inner sleeve. No mastering credit.

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Odds and Sods by The Who was cut by Miles Showell - half speed master. The records were pressed at Optimal. SQ is pretty good. I’m not sure if it’s better than the original U.K./US pressings.

The color of the first LP is dark red. The 2nd LP is dark yellow.

dee, jgrillo and J_D__ like this.
  24. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Especially if it’s outside like my local indie shops will be. Plenty of fresh air for everyone.

Porkpie likes this.
  25. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

this is what I’m thinking about for next week. I really want Spacehog’s Resident Alien. The closest record store confirmed they received a small amount of these. They also stated this is a hot title and I will probably only get a copy if I get to the front of the line. I’ve never had to show open more than an hour early to get what I want but this year is different.
    I’m seriously thinking about showing up like 1am. Is that way too early? I just don’t know.

Porkpie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.