RSD 2020 drop list revealed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

The only way I can see them getting around the ‘exclusive’ tag for the Bowie is to issue in coloured vinyl down the line.
    Obviously you can’t do this for CD.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Being a massive WHO fan I’m wavering in ODDS and SODS II

dee likes this.
  3. ObadaiaStane

ObadaiaStane Forum Resident

The fact that this is a RSD “Exclusive” does not seems to mean much, as both Cracked Actor and Welcome to The Blackout were also RSD Exclusives and they both saw a release on CD later. But yeah, since the CD is being release together with the vinyl, which as you said is unlike the previous years, could change everything.Although it is a fact that, unlike the precisou years.

4. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Probably a good choice to try and go early if you want Spacehog. As expected, sounds like that one will be in high demand and stores are getting allocated on it. My local ordered 12 and got 3.

I saw it got bumped to October in the list a few weeks back, no idea why and even weirder if they've already sent out the copies. Are they not charging stores for their copies until it can be sold in October? If not, a pretty BS move.

JRose likes this.
  5. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I've been in contact with my local record store. They received "a few" copies (they wouldn't tell me the exact number) but confirmed they are available for this Saturday. They also communicated how hot this title is and my only chance is to be at the front of the line. I've never camped out for a RSD event before but I'm doing it for Spacehog. I wish I knew a good time to go. The current plan is to be there at midnight. It will suck to show up at midnight and already see more than 3 or 4 people. *** fingers crossed ***. If not for Spacehog, I could just roll in an hour early like normal and get what I want.

Rocketdog likes this.
  6. Dreaddazzman

Best of luck :edthumbs:

I'm glad this wasn't a must have title for me...:sweating:

Rocketdog and JRose like this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Or just wait a year and buy it online for prob not much more then retail

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I dont understand why Bowie 74 CD is square LP shaped and ChangesNow is traditional rectangular shape like Is It Any Wonder. We need uniformity here, people. Maybe I'm supposed to slip the 74 set into my WCIBN box?

9. Dreaddazzman

Maybe, maybe not. There are are at least some RSD items that still go for crazy money. And that said, who wants to wait a year to find that out? We could all be dead by then :tiphat:

10. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

The album allocations are a real issue so far. A friend of mine owns a record shop who participates in RSD every year and he said this year has been the most challenging for allocations. He usually gets most if not all of his wants but this drop he noticed that he hasn’t gotten the amounts he requested, not by a long shot. Granted he is a small fish in the big RSD pond but he really notices this year is much different.

11. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Allocations from one stops are getting worse since they have so many accounts. My store got heavily allocated on several titles, but we doubled up from 2 distros on Billie Eilish the one stop filled about half our order and UMG gave us our full order whereas GBV for example we ordered 5 or 6 and only got 1

Christopher B likes this.
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

For August I am looking to get

Black Crowes - Lions

Fight - A Small Deadly Space

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Live At Waterloo

The Who - Odds And Sods

The Kink - Kronikles

Stormrider77 and JRose like this.
  13. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Several of my recent RSD pickups are still climbing in resale costs... The Crow Soundtrack, Pearl Jam Unplugged, Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks Test Pressing and Alice Cooper Dirty Diamonds (even after it was rereleased 3x since RSD). I believe Spacehog Resident Alien is going to be another one that is an instant success and continues to climb. Time will tell.

Vinyl_Blues and Dreaddazzman like this.
  14. Dreaddazzman

Yeah, other examples that readily come to mind are the official pressing of Death Grips Government Plates and Pavement - Quarantine the Past comp from an early RSD.

I assume given the relative low press and seemingly high demand, Resident Alien will be a climber as well. That said, maybe less so if it gets a non-colored release after the fact. I know it says RSD exclusive, but we've all seen how that goes (i.e. only the colored version of the release is exclusive, not the title itself).

JRose likes this.
  15. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

RSD hit new levels of disgusting with making Judas Priest's British Steel 2 LPs when it's only one and with no bonus material, just album artwork on empty sides. Ridiculous excuse to charge 2LP prices for 1 LP of music. Or maybe they've done this before with releases I didn't notice.

ARK, Man at C&A, Vinyl_Blues and 3 others like this.
  16. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Or, if a flipper didn't buy it, you could purchase it online at the end of the day for $20 less.

Don't get the love for flippers....

17. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

What is a reputable site to make these purchases? I don't have love for flippers but during these times I'd rather pay a little extra than stand in line during the age of Covid. If there's a site that lists them at list price, I'm all in. I just haven't been paying too much attention this year to RSD or the new rules.

18. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Newbury Comics is putting their RSD titles online at 1pm on Saturday. Bullmoose is selling theirs on Sunday morning (don't know the time). Of course this will be what they have leftover so it depends what you are after. I'm sure there are other stores doing the same too.

ARK and Cat People like this.
  19. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I'm not interested in this release but there are a couple of extra tracks on it. "Red,White & Blue" and "Grinder" (Live). I'm not into picture discs but it's cool I guess if the music isn't pressed over the picture. I guess hardcore priest fans will line up for this but I'm happy with my original pressing. Anyway, there are some extra tracks on there as an FYI.

One thing I don't like about this release is no sleeve. It's getting the picture disc treatment so it's a thick see through plastic sleeve instead of a true gatefold. That's my only knock on it.

20. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

RSD '20 Special Release: Judas Priest - British Steel -- Limited Edition 40th Anniversary Edition shows no extra tracks. I wouldn't get it even if there was but they're not even throwing people a bone.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

It seems like a lot of stores are starting on-line sales at 1pm Eastern, 10am Pacific time (I believe that is what RSD rules suggested). There are a lot of stores that sell on-line that will be offering their product around that time (yet after foot traffic that starts earlier, so a lot of titles may be hard to find).

I've usually line up - but not this year due to the pandemic. So I am hoping for my local to pick items I want after the line ends (so I may not get everything I want). For on-line I have used stores like Amoeba in California, Bullmoose in Maine, Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey. I think even more than those will be selling on-line as soon as they can - more than usual than most years.

CowboyBill likes this.
  22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

spindly and JRose like this.
  23. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Fair enough, a few places in the UK are doing all digital - but I don't think that helps you. its mostly a case of going site to site, but I find twitter is a good way to track it...

CowboyBill likes this.
  24. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Those two albums were RSD Exclusives... in the vinyl format, which is the only format they were coming out in at the time. This year, the Bowie albums are coming out in both formats at once for RSD, and the CDs are listed, separately, as RSD Exclusives, as the LPs also are. So unless they're lying, this will be the sole issue for the CDs.

That said, they haven't announced quantities for any of these titles, so for all the public knows, they've pressed up 1,000,000 copies of each for RSD that will sit around forever and there would be no need for a repressing anyway. That's not what I expect to happen; just exploring what we do or don't know. (I'm sure there are other folks reading this who have an idea of the real pressing numbers.)

All of which is just to say... chances are these won't become incredibly expensive collectors' items, but anyone who passes on the CD now because it'll be readily available as a reissue months down the road is gambling on the exclusive label being a lie, in a way it has not been for Bowie product in the past.

Cat People and Gavaxeman like this.
  25. ObadaiaStane

ObadaiaStane Forum Resident

Yeah, that's exactly what I said, they were exclusives on vinyl and we had a general CD release after but, as you and I said, this year could be different since they are releasing both formats on RSD. Anyway, I totally agree with you, if one has the chance to grab it on this first drop I think it does not make sense to wait for a still very uncertain general release.

Now, it makes me wonder their strategy if they did not release it at least on streaming services, maybe the sound quality is really not that good so they're aiming at huge fans only? I don't think that's the case but I just can't see many other scenarios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.