RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I was pretty pleased with the pricing of the Dirty Three set. It cost me $70. A 4xLP set on RSD usually gets closer to $100.

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I feel your pain. Somehow I never took notice of the Chicago Blues release and now it’s too late. Growing up, Chicago was the closest real city to where I lived and such a great musical heritage there.

Sports? Hit and miss.

bluejimbop likes this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Tom Petty - pretty good but some scratches on side 1 that cause clicking at the end of one song and during the intro of the next one. Certainly not as bad as some people’s copies are reported to be. Will sell this one on and get the black vinyl release when it comes out.

The Flaming Lips - I read this one is noisy but I wanted to take the risk and get this album. Record 1 is absolutely fine, no noise. Record 2 starts off with very bad surface noise/crackle during the intro but then disappears. Being a lo-fi compilation by the Lips though it doesn’t stand out as being that bad. Luckily it doesn’t overpower the music at all on record 2 so I’d definitely recommend picking this up.

J_D__, jumpinjulian and jimhb like this.
  4. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Prince - The Truth
    Sadly my album is quite warped but it plays through -
    cannot get a replacement via the store as they sold out.
    Discogs shows that I am not alone in receiving warped copies :-(

But the music itself is wonderful and wayyyyyyy better than the CD version -
    I loved it so long as I did not look at the record spinning *sigh*

5. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I have the 3 CD pack of that release and find it highly adequate.
    Anthony Rizzo seems like a nice enough chap but he stands so close to the plate that as a Giants fan, I yell “Hit ‘im!” every time he comes up.

Larry Loves LPs and sonofjim like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Similar impressions concerning "The Fool". Love the mix, tolerate the pressing. An exchange is out of the question - since it's sold out - so it's either money back or... live with it. I opt for the latter. It's not that bad.

Garbage: Go for it! You can always sell it.

mr.dave likes this.
  7. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

So far...

The Who - played mostly fine, a few clicks, but nice overall
    Morrison hotel - sounded amazing, felt like I was in the studio with them
    Al green - very solid pressing, fun comp
    Petty - sounds good, but too much crackle, I cleaned it well with the RCM vac as well, it’s tolerable but a bit disappointed, sounds good cranked tho’
    quite Kenny - sounded amazing, puffin gave it an A rating
    Elton - sounded rock solid... puffin gave it an A rating

J_D__, MedozK, OptimisticGoat and 2 others like this.
  8. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

My first up was Steely Dan "Everything Must Go" after the reports of pressing issues; happily mine plays through without a single issue, and sounds wonderful. Police Volume 2 sounds great indeed.

U2 on the other hand....:rolleyes: I'm a huge fan of their material up to Joshua Tree, but I really should have trusted my gut and skipped this god d*&%ed picture disc crap. Vinyl sounds like its spinning inside a tin can. I can only imagine how nice this could have sounded if they would have sensibly pressed it on traditional vinyl. Love the picture on the back, though, so there's that....

Still have to play the other Dan and Police albums, Tears For Fears, Daniel Lanois, Suede, Red Hot & Blue and Echo & the Bunnymen. Sounds like I need that Egyptian Jazz album, too...

9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

There’s no need for such disgusting hyperbole. Sure, when they’re bad, they’re REALLY bad - and usually are! But there are also some very good ones out there, and if I played you them via a needledrop (or blindfolded in front of a turntable) there is nothing that would indicate they were any worse than any black vinyl record. My “clear rim” Parallel Lines picture disc from the 70’s - purchased still sealed/as new - sounds completely flawless, down to the ringing telephone intro and even the spaces between tracks. Quieter surfaces than a lot of premium “audiophile grade” vinyl pressed today.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Aside from Celia & Willie, how many releases for this year’s RSD are confirmed to be AAA or were marketed as such?

11. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

Since The Police are in still custody here in Canada until the July drop, I was only able to grab 2 yesterday.

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature:

All 3 sides were very flat, but I was concerned due to side 4 being an etching.

Dead quiet pressing (no pops or clicks) that sounds fantastic!

Really happy with this one.

Tears For Fears - Live @ Massey Hall:

All 4 sides were very flat.

Very quiet pressing ( no pops or clicks), that sounds pretty good for a live recording.

Happy with this one.

A question for anyone who has listened to the TFF, and either or both of The Police Live LPs.

How is the sound quality of The Police LPs compared with the TFF?

Thanks for any help!

OptimisticGoat and mr.dave like this.
  12. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Haha, he definitely crowds the plate. I can’t stand him.

I didn’t get this LP and now I’m wishing I did because of the other Craft stuff I’ve heard. I may try and hunt this down.

13. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Like others have posted, there will likely be a stereo version of Quiet Kenny released later and I could see Craft doing a blue vinyl in mono just to keep the RSD version “exclusive”.The record company wants your money. In the meantime go buy another Tone Poet. That’s what I did.

OptimisticGoat, bjlefebvre and Jam757 like this.
  14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It would be pretty funny/awesome if Craft turned around and made it the next Small Batch One Step.

15. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I don’t want to spoil it for you but the Lanois looks sweet! It feels like top quality pressing as well. Just be careful sliding it out. The inner sleeve was full of static and a mofo to get off the vinyl. Tight fit doesn’t even begin to describe it. I’m cleaning mine now for an evening spin. Enjoy.

Jerry James likes this.
  16. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

My Elton looks pretty rough with hairlines and sleeve rub and oily smudges, like hand prints on both sides. Apparently Dr. Doom was in charge of loading the sleeves that day. Hope it’s surface only, a good wet cleaning didn’t help it’s appearance much. I also did not get a download card in mine.

17. For any in the area, Houston's Cactus Music still had about 5 or 6 copies of Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" this afternoon. I got one of them and am finding it both quite and sounding really nice through my tube. As I always felt about this album, I do wish the horns were mixed a little higher/punchier. But the rhythm sections sound better here than I remember rom many times hearing on CD.

scribbs likes this.
  18. I'm one of those few people who was actually happy (and felt it justified) when that won Album of the Year at the Grammys. In my world, it was exactly that, and I'm almost two generations younger than their original fan base.

19. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Sunday’s listening

Al Green - smooth quiet pressing - just the right touch of strings - love it

Beck - wow I never bought this as “Colors” was such a lame album
    Very revealing, atmospheric and nice imaging
    It was slightly off center but wasn’t audible
    Quiet backgrounds
    Stunning

Prince
    Was looking forward to an acoustic album
    Not really a Prince fan but the sparse Piano and Microphone is a lovely album.
    Side 1 has more lush pieces, side 2 more sampled
    Excellent pressing

Morrison Hotel
    The dreaded “how many times can you hear Queen of the Highway” 1st lp was actually very engaging with a wide swing in approaches and mood. The Roadhouse Blues / Peace Frog 2nd lp was the repetitive one. Both were pressed to perfection

Daniel Lanois and friends
    Wonderful lp, backing gospel, organ vibe and atmospherics
    This is a really great performance and top notch pressing

Tom Petty - the album sounds natural and quiet until the dynamics kick in. Then it gets distorted in the louder passages. Maybe it was mastered hot and I needed to turn down the volume

SD- Everything Must Go
    The pressing sounds wonderful - lots of detail
    I’d have to pull out my 2003 original which I recall has slightly more air.
    EMG is very overlooked and three songs on the first side are still very subpar for the Dan

Saving TAN for another evening.

That has been a Holy Grail for so long

oldjollymon, mr.dave and jumpinjulian like this.
  20. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They have to strike while the iron is hot.

21. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I will second this. Warm sounding recording and great pressing. I buy salsa for my wife who puts up with me for all of the other music stuff I put her through. Truth is after being with her for so many years I have developed a fondness for salsa and reggaethon. So anytime Craft puts out a salsa recording, I am always on top of it. Top quality company which has not let me down yet.

mikemoon, oldjollymon and sonofjim like this.
  22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The first album I had in hand was the Faith picture disc (The Cure). As this is a longtime favorite, I almost got suckered into buying it despite already having the recent black vinyl reissue. Fortunately I found plenty of other stuff which made it easy to put it back. I hope it sounds great for those who picked it up (haven’t completely read this thread).

However, the U2 Fire picture disc was high on my list. That one opens with some serious whooshing sounds on both sides but once the music starts, the sound improved quite a bit.

23. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

haha! Disgusting hyperbole?! You had to go back 50 years to name a picture disc that sounded good. You probably bought the kinks and u2 yesterday to get so riled up...

Stormrider77 and Batman21 like this.
  24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Along with the Parallel Lines picture disk, The Dreamboat Annie picture disk sounds great too.

MrRom92, Paul K and DesertHermit like this.
  25. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Well, I hear what people are talking about with clicking here and there on the Petty Angel Dream. But my goodness, this album sounds great and smokes on my system. :yikes:

TheMovieRad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.