RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Reach the Beach - Clean, quiet, flat, clear, blue, excellent bonus tracks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. Herchiser mentioned a loud pop for nine revolutions that can't be fixed with a record cleaning machine. It's to that reference. Maybe he should just throw it away... that's what I would do and absorb the loss. That's what happens when you're a person like I am. A pop here and there that isn't too loud is not too bad, but something that continues for nine revolutions and it's loud....fuhgedaboutit! Lose it!

bluejimbop likes this.
  3. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Gotcha. But he should at least open it and check it out, right? There's plenty of people here who said they have no such snap, crackle or pop. My copy has no such defect.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  4. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

Well done confusing the shi% out of me by referring to yourself as "he". HAHA. I hope you open it and enjoy. If you don't, I hope you get good money for it because it is worth it.

5. Well of course he should open it. It was my understanding that someone had a copy with a loud pop for nine revolutions. It's likely that his copy is fine. I still haven't played my Quiet Kenny yet. I must say that I'm thrilled for this love for Kenny Dorham. It feels infectious, and it should be. I've always loved so many of his albums. His first album as a leader, Kenny Dorham Quinet, is a terrific jazz album. I have his Afro-Cuban on cd, and that too is terrific--especially for Dizzy and Bird fans. I have other albums by him, but those two are the ones I listen to the most.

bajaed and Tom Campbell like this.
  6. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

I feel like I'm in a Fellini movie.

The RSD Groundhogs release is great. I could do without the yellow wax but it is punchy and layered and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

uzn007 and scribbs like this.
  7. When the lights go out, go to a park and look for a swing set. Don't be surprised to encounter a former girlfriend and make love with her. Don't become too disappointed with the aftermath of it all. Have a smoke and go walk across a bridge to the other side of town and sit down in a café and order a Cognac while you watch an impromptu parade make its way down the street.

8. ¡A huevo amigo mio! (You're darned right, buddy!)

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Same thing happened to me with the Kinks LP. I sold it here for $20 or so with a warning.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  10. Dmac99

Dmac99 Forum Resident

My copy of Palo Alto custodians mix seems to be cut perfectly. There is however a lot of wow and flutter on this LP and some other noise I cannot identify. Some tracks sound great and I love the concept of this release, warts and all. Anyone else have these observations?

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Agreed! Great album and a great pressing. As someone who was only familiar with the Mutt Lange albums, this is a stunning surprise.

ToothFangClaw and sillycornelius like this.
  12. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

The Dead box is killer. I almost passed on this because of the price. I was also wondering if I really need more Europe 72 and the answer is yes.

13. There is some unidentifiable noise on the first track on the second side. Perhaps the custodian was sweeping nearby…

On the serious side, this is by far the best package amongst the half-dozen or so records bought on Saturday. While Quiet Kenny may sound better and have more chic with the flipping community, this LP is splendidly cut by Ryan K. Smith and beautifully restored. Between the sturdy gatefold, the cool picture sleeve, the finely written and photographed booklet, and replicas of the original local poster ad and program (including the local ads to sponsor the show), I felt like this was the most lovingly put-together of all the packages I’ve seen this time around. RTI also knocked it out of the park. My Puffin agreed, grading the vinyl quality with an A+ on both sides.

Cheers,

Bill

14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Grateful Dead Box -

Disc 1 - clean/flat/quiet.
    Disc 2 - clean/flat some ticks/noise on He's Gone

Haven't played the rest yet.

I consider the overall sound quality to be very good. Not stellar; not one of the best-sounding live Dead recordings, but solidly surpassing the minimum standards for good sound quality.

15. "nine-mile skidding on a ten-mile ride/hot as a pistol and cool inside/like I told ya/what I said/STeAL yOUr fAcE rIgHt oFF yOur HeAd..."

16. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

What is your puffin?

17. The Puffin is a phono preamp by Parks Audio that uses DSP for a lot of versatility from properly playing mono vinyl to eliminating pops and clicks to grading the actual vinyl record quality itself. It’s great for MM or MC of many different classes. To some, it’s sacrilege. To those who use it, it’s a preamp that punches well above its price class. It’s the best thing to happen to my record collection in years. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    ex_mixer, joelee, Karmageddon and 2 others like this.
  18. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Update: Got a replacement copy and its fine.

mr.dave likes this.
  19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

When salsa records start getting flipped - we've reached a new paradigm.

20. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I did, but it only arrived about an hour ago.

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Does anyone have the Chicago / The Blues / Today! ????

I would really like to know how the RSD release sounds.

22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

How does the whole thing sound?
    And can you tell me the deadwax markings please?
    "Apparently" this was mastered by Kevin Gray, but Discogs has Ray Staff in as the mastering guy which makes it the same release as the Pure Pleasure from 10 or more years ago.
    Which plates were used?

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed

24. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Just checked my disc 2 and it has KG in the dead wax, so definitely a fresh mastering. Mine sounds great by the way, when those harmonicas scream in I get the bluesy stink face!

25. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

My local took back my copy with the nine loud pops during the bass solo that were jarring. It was replaced with the last copy they still had in the store which is perfect. They played the bad section on their player in the store and agreed it was unacceptable. They stopped it after 4 pops and said “enough of that”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.