RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

8/12 vs “a handful or so”...you really got me there.

Nevertheless, let’s add in “more than few of us”...and it’s apparent now at ~0.01%, it’s clearly a widespread issue.

2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I remember buying ELO's Out of the Blue at Dyno Records when it had just come out. It always makes me smile that they're still around.

JeffMo likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Even if you believe the half-speed mastering hype, “better” high frequency response is not the same as “more” high frequency response. It just means more “accurate” high frequency response.

Karmageddon likes this.
  4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

The Wipers - Youth of America
    I am happy to report a home run with this one, IMO.
    Heavy duty cardboard jacket, smokey black translucent vinyl, original rejected artwork on the inner sleeve.
    Second vinyl contains alternate versions, one unissued song during the same sessions, and two songs only available on a sampler.
    Vinyl is not 180g, but no problem. Flat and quiet. Dynamics are what I expected, as the RSD release of their first album was also a winner.

5. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

You don't get it and that's not my problem. This isn't worth my time. See ya.

6. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Why? Because he did not say anything about his luck with new records, he commented on new pressings in general.

And his statement is simply wrong. There really is no need to argue.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

NERD FIGHT

timnor, Brett44, alx7 and 5 others like this.
  8. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

I think I'm going to go for it.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t get it? :laughup:

I have no reason to believe you didn’t got a bad copy. I may have gotten one too (I haven’t opened/cleaned mine yet). But every large pressing will have some bad copies and a few squeaky wheels (justified or not) does not prove it’s not an isolated incident - as you claimed. In fact, so few complaints proves the opposite.

If it’s truly not a isolated incident, there will be far more complaints than we’ve seen so far - particularly with so many copies sold.

10. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I think mine sounds fantastic! Clean, smooth, and not a tick or pop on any of the three records. The mastering sounds like the bands are playing in my living room.....very realistic sound. Never hearing the originals before, this is the highlight of the drop for me!

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Wanted:
    Quiet Kenny
    Hathaway Live
    Dead Live '72 Paris

Purchased (Online):
    Hathaway Live
    Celia & Willie
    Monk - Palo Alto Custodian Mix
    Arthur Russell - Iowa Dream (Non RSD purchase)

Take Away:
    When I saw the numbers that Plaid Room had left for the albums I wanted, I thought I had a fair chance at getting them online. They went fast, not sure if it was a product of bots+flippers but oh well. I'd still like to find Quiet Kenny for a decent price. Others have mentioned that Craft may put out a wider stereo release which is nice. The Dead set would have been cool but was pricey but fair. I already have the Bellman 3 LP cut of '72 and I'm just getting into the Dead so no huge loss. Celia & Willie was a last second decision as was Monk as I already had the regular release of this title. Still not sure if I needed this copy but it's a cool document of history.

No sound reviews yet, these probably won't get listened to for a few weeks. Overall, I'm happy. I would have been fine with nothing. Bullmoose was the store that still had copies so they got my business, they have always had fair pricing, plus free shipping. I also had some credits and got one album 1/2 off!

JeffMo likes this.
  12. Fennario Joe

Fennario Joe Well-Known Member

Yes! It's excellent as expected.

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

‘Throw it away and absorb the loss’..riiight..
    How about return it for a refund or credit?

14. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Just listened to Quiet Kenny again and it’s probably the best £35 I’ve ever spent. Just imagine how you Americans feel getting that for $26?! Every player at their peak, this album literally has everything. Hard bop, old school jazz, noir like jazz, ballads. Dorham’s emotional range is unreal throughout as well. Can really get a feel for the track. Art Taylor is playing probably the best I’ve ever heard him, Chambers is always amazing and Flanagan is bluesy as hell. I don’t know if Dorham gave them the sheet music and just said to them, there’s your chords, just improvise throughout the whole session. I loved this album before I bought this pressing, but it may have shot up to one of my very favourites!

15. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, I have the Pure Pleasure reissue - mastered by Ray Staff from tape copies. "Apparently" all analogue.
    That was a huge improvement on the original. Ray Staff put the all the bass back in that was rolled on the original. It sounds great.

One of the problems with Pure Pleasure is they play free and easy with the sources they use. Ie., it may or may not be analogue when they say "from the tapes". For most of their more recent stuff, it's all digital. I haven't bought anything from Pure Pleasure in years.
    For this one I think it really was an analogue job.

I am betting that Kevin Gray will have done a much better job. In fact, I am absolutely certain Kevin Gray would do a better job. Plus, given the history, he may even have gotten the master tapes to work with.

I've just bought a copy on Discogs.

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You’re the one arguing…he made a statement which implies his experience. You can just drop this…nobody cares.

timnor and violetvinyl like this.
  17. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Looks like I got lucky with with my Flaming Lips and Petty records. Both seem to be flat and relatively quiet. Unfortunately, got a bum disc 2 for Steely Dan - Tan. Several micro scratches on tracks 2 and 3 sitting perpendicular to the grooves that result in several loud pops for a few seconds each. It's a shame because the rest of it and disc 1 are fine. I contacted my local, but assume I'm SOL on it at this point. Disappointing given the cost.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Mike, did you not hit any ATL stores this year?

Thanks for supporting New England economy though!

Jeff

mikemoon likes this.
  19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

He did not at all. Nothing in the original post contained the faintest traces of experience or knowledge or provided an explanation, offered insight, examples or anything like that.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Whatever, you win. Enjoy your prize.

timnor and uzn007 like this.
  21. shredking92

shredking92 Forum Resident

FWIW, my copy of "Angel Dream" has very little in terms of noise.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  22. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

Thanks for the tip! Never heard of this before and just researched it. It seems to be a great piece of gear - if you don’t mind digital.

I just may invest in it - especially with free firmware updates for the future. Seems like a good company.

CBackley and Bill Why Man like this.
  23. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

.....and finally the Steven Wilson remix of Ultravox 'Vienna'. Only got a battered early pressing for comparison, but this sounds rather good. Bottom end a little too restrained for my tastes. Haven't listened to the instrumental disc yet.

Markyp and Neonbeam like this.
  24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

No, I was out of town working unfortunately. Bullmoose is a good one to support! Hope all has been well with you!

JeffMo likes this.
  25. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Is this the same?
    https://www.amazon.it/Live-Palo-Alt...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1623772632&sr=8-1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.