RSD 2021 6/12 (pressing/overall quality review) *first drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jun 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This was the most highly anticipated of all the RSD June drops for me. Kikko Matsuoka and
    Shinichi Tanabe and Alfred the Great Brass - Love Love 25:00. While I thought it might be akin to the reissue of the Ike Reiko album, I was at first a little disappointed. However, I listened to it again and began to appreciate it for what it was. A very atmospheric and late-night album with a Paul Mauriat type of musical sentimentality but better. Kikko whispers, talks, and pouts about love and longing in between tracks that feature lazy but tasty guitar licks and slowly greased-out saggy saxohornographic petulance.

The Japanese pressing itself was high quality. No issues at all. I paid $63 total from this on discogs on RSD. (It was only released in Japan.) I'd recommend it to fans of Pinky Violence and mild cheesecake audio erotica. I wouldn't spend more than what I paid.

[​IMG]

dloew, sillycornelius and Greenalishi like this.
  2. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...I was kicking myself for not picking up Two Against Nature when I had the chance -- especially after hearing how good it sounded. But by the time I thought I should nab one, it had already gone to the flippers...

Cut two several weeks later, I'm on vacation in a tiny mountain town with a little main street record store. I walk in, not expecting much, and there was a copy of Two Against Nature, priced at list. And dang, it really does sound as good as folks were saying it did...

Mang, maui jim, davidkeith and 11 others like this.
  3. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Just listened to my copy bought today, back to back with the CD. Prefer the CD. Which suggests that a CD master was used without a new vinyl master being derived from the original recording. I guess, if it is a natively digital recording, we might not expect a huge investment on the part of the producers here - and the fancy vinyl suggests they sought to add value in more cosmetic ways. My disc one also has a slight warp, which seems about what to expect for most non-audiophile releases at the moment - and even some audiophile ones.

groovelocked likes this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Champions by Miles, good quality and concept. Good sound and pressing. Good quality. Music is ok. Kinda jammy but with lots of bass lines. Cool off beat grooves. But perfected on Jack Johnson. Not a keeper for me. Jack Johnson is a real favorite of mine. Love that album. Was kinda hoping for Sonny Sharrock but he isn’t on these jams. Cool idea with fighter names and color of vinyl but in the grooves few cool moments but just ok overall musically to me.

oldjollymon and AnalogJ like this.
  5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I love this. Congrats! (To quote Peter Gabriel, "Don't give up!", a moral of this tale).

Mang and Collapsed Lung like this.
  6. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

I’ve just received notification that a package from UPS is being delivered tomorrow from Rhio containing a new (and hopefully perfect) Flaming Lips record.

I eagerly await the results of the replacement.

:)

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  7. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Finally got to the Warren Zevon Preludes last night.

Although I've had the CD promo version ever since the original release I'm glad this one is now in my collection. The pressing is first-rate (a very cloud-like blue/white color scheme) and there's a couple of extra track tacked on. There's not a great difference in the sound but the presentation is what "makes the sale" for me. Extra wide box and a full-size booklet with appropriate pictures. Well done New West!

8. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

What was wrong with your copy?

Karmageddon likes this.
  9. Karmageddon

I had massive weird distortion in the right channel from the end of track 1, all of track 2 and the beginning of track 3 on Side 1.

Side 2 also featured the same issues but only from the end of track 1 and into track 2.

I sent them sound clips and they agreed it was atrocious.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  10. Karmageddon

And so my Flaming Lips replacement arrived from Dr. Rhino!

My copy is flawless. Perfectly flat, silent and certainly no distortions on the right channel.

Now that I can actually listen to this and judge the mastering - I can say that it sounds amazing. Huge soundstage, full frequency, no sibilance. It’s really one of the sleeper titles of Drop 1.

Colour me happy - and silver. :)

Now I await the Warpaint replacement.

Jon H., Dreaddazzman and Greenalishi like this.
  11. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I was asking, because I did not have any issues with that release. I am glad you got a replacement that is fine.

12. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Who did you contact for the Flaming Lips replacement? I have same right-channel distortion.

Karmageddon likes this.
  13. Karmageddon

I contacted [email protected]

But I also sent my receipt, photos and sound clips with my initial email and I think that sped up the process to get “Dr. Rhino” involved.

I have to email them again about one of the Steely Dan titles that I just cracked open and it’s scracthed and covered in non-fill.

Jon H. and dloew like this.
  14. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Listening to my Dr. Rhino-provided replacement copy of the RSD SB Companion right now. Still a bit of static in the right channel at the beginning of the first track, but a slight improvement over my initial copy. Thanks for the contact info earlier!

Great to have all these songs on vinyl! The stereo Zaireeka tracks are worth it alone.

Greenalishi and Karmageddon like this.
  15. Karmageddon

This is great to hear. I’m so glad that two of three defective records I had were dealt with properly (Sony and Universal should take note!) and I’m even more glad members of this great forum were also helped with the Flaming Lips and Warpaint titles with the information I was able to provide.

Maybe I really should become the Vinyl Advocate (YouTube channel coming! Haha)

(Now to work on the third trashed release, SD’s Everything Must Go)

16. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

I emailed them here and unfortunately got this reply:

Unfortunately we do not handle direct product exchanges, however if you follow the returns instructions below you will be able to reorder the item you wish to exchange once your return is processed.
    Once your return is processed you will get a confirmation email. At this time please come back and reorder the item you wish to replace.

Not really sure where I could 'reorder' the item from them... I know there is a ton still out in the wild on the cheap, so I guess I could try for a refund and just buy elsewhere. Seems I also need to pay for shipping with tracking myself If I want to return it though. What a pain.

17. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

I got the same canned response at first. Just replied to the email and reiterated that the issue is a pressing defect and I wasn’t interested in a return. A real person responded next.

18. Karmageddon

Same thing happened to me. It’s a canned response.

You have to reply back with full details (pics, audio clips, receipts) and the full details of the defect and how it’s defective from a manufacturing perspective.

After that Dr. Rhino was in touch with me.

Jon H. and Greenalishi like this.
  19. Here are my takeaways from the July drop in order of preference:

WINNER: The Small Faces - The Complete Greatest Hits - 5/5. Pressing was excellent despite the wildly colored wax. I hear things from these mixes I don't normally hear. I love hearing PP Arnold's background vocals as more pronounced on "Tin Soldier". My favorite of the litter of releases by a country mile. I would have paid up to $50 for this if I had to do so.

This is Ann Peebles - Pressing is excellent; it's lavender-colored wax. The music on this I really like a whole lot. I love those Memphis Horns. Classic Memphis soul music. 4.5/5.

Roy Brooks - Understanding - The music on this set is all over the place. Each side is very different. There is a hard bop angle to Bird's "Billie's Bounce" that makes it feel more concrete, hot pants, and junkie. The pressing is not the best but it's not bad. When my cartridge drops to play on a side, it skates through the dead wax. I don't know why it does that because my cartridge doesn't do that with most of my other albums. I have to very, very slowly drop the cartridge and needle onto the beginning of the side. It's more work, but it's not a deal breaker. I'd recommend saving the money and buying the double cd of this. One has to be in the mood to listen to this one, but when you are in that mood, it's music that pushes your thoughts into unexplored areas. Very propulsive and edgy power drumming in many places. We need more releases from Roy Brooks. 3.5/5

The Ramones - Live in Australia - Good pressing and the music is terrific. It sounds like an above-average radio broadcast, which I believe it was. It captures several songs from End of The Century. 3.5/5

Get It (compilation) - I had to clean this with my VPI first. But even if I hadn't, it wouldn't have mattered. A little bit of surface noise doesn't detract whatsoever from the grooves. Much of the music sounds like JB retreads, but then again, JB retreads aren't so bad. In fact, they get the heart pumping. This is more funk and less R&B. This music will take you to the bridge most of the time. 3/5

Bob Dylan - I&I and Jokerman ep. This one will definitely grow on me. I like how Dylan's voice is pushed to the front. It's impossible not to feel good when listening to this one. Still I don't think that I will listen to it too many more times. 3/5.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Ronnie Scott's - This is an above-average live performance. The pressing is very good with no issues. I'd recommend it only to devoted Kirk fans. It's by far not the best place to start with Kirk in my opinion. Then again, I am biased, and I prefer his live and studio recordings from 1969 onwards. 3/5

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. Karmageddon

I have received another update from Rhino about my defective copies of Steely Dan’s Everything Must Go.

Sadly they can not locate me a replacement - so I’m SOL.

Now to decide if I want to take the chance on inflated prices on eBay or Discogs and take the chance I get another scratched/scuffed/no -filled record or not.

Decisions decisions.

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go (RSD 6/21)

$25 USD plus shipping.

Karmageddon, uzn007 and Greenalishi like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I just got finished a casual listen to this. Agree on the music, it's somewhat schizophrenic. But my pressing is mostly excellent; not the quietest vinyl ever from a surface noise standpoint, but way above average. And other than a few ticks during the lead-in wax, it was completely tick/pop free. All 6 sides. I didn't notice anything particularly unusual about the lead-in's. If I didn't drop the needle with the utmost care, it skated to the groove, but never to the music. Otherwise, no issue.

23. Karmageddon

Thanks for the tip. I actually found another copy at my favorite local record store $25 CAD.

And guess what?? 3rd times the charm. This is as perfect as of pressing as I’m gonna get.

No marks and so far all of side 1 sounds glorious. Looking at side 2, it seems to be ok.

So it looks like I managed to get one of the good ones. Phew.

24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Nice!!

25. Then it sounds like it's a pressing issue that makes it skate like that through the dead wax at the beginning. Next time, I won't take a chance on a big jazz set on wax like this on vinyl. I'll just get the cd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.