RSD 2021 7/17 (pressing/overall quality review) *second drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jul 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

I went to a Newbury to buy the B. Evans set at 10:30. They had several. Since they were not sealed and don't take returns for defects I had a look at a few. I was not impressed with the pressing quality. All had some bumps & scratches. I couldn't bring myself to spend $76 for this and passed. It's a little irritating that they were not more generous than the 9 tracks on the last CD release - that I did buy - given how much material they seem to have.

Davidmk5, AnalogJ and bill13 like this.
  2. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Walked in an hour after opening and got got everything I wanted except the Rory and Miles which I just picked up from Newbury.

First listen is John Prine live 4lp set, 1 lp in and I'd say it's excellent, cut by Kevin Gray.

AnalogJ and DanBNash like this.
  3. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Three-and-a-half records in and so far, so good:

The Heartbreakers record (GZ) is flat and mostly quiet. There are a few ticks in the dead wax areas. The mix is fantastic. It hits harder than the outtakes mix version, which is the one I already had. It’s a little hot in places (e.g., the vocal in “Pirate Love”), but that was probably intentional. Totally worthwhile.

The Beastie Boys (Pallas?) is also flat and quiet apart from a couple of tics in the side A lead-in. It’s cut loud at 33.

Fear (Record Industry) has a slight edge warp that doesn’t seem to affect playback. I’ve only heard this on CD, but it sounds exactly like I would expect that the original does (based on hearing other Slash originals).

I’m midway through side B of the Ramones (?). The record is flat and dead quiet. As far as the recording, it is what it is (a 1980 live radio recording). Not my favorite lineup, but they still had some fire then and it’s pretty enjoyable.

4. Harrison_Bergeron

Harrison_Bergeron Well-Known Member

W
    What are your thoughts on the sound quality? How does this compare to other Bill Evans Resonance releases?

5. tengram

tengram Forum Resident

Anybody get the Harold Budd This Much Is True?

agn likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

All three LPs in my Bill Evans set are dish warped. Grrrrrrrraaaafggghhh! :realmad::realmad::cussing:

bill13 likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's not a bad idea in theory, but I can just imagine creased and dented sleeves with the vinyl being badly affected.

8. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Listening to it now - really top notch quality, poly sleeve, flat as a dime and super quiet vinyl which is good because it wasn't cheap. I got the yellow version. Any limitations you may hear have to do with the original tapes and how the album was mixed (Jorma's guitar always had a slightly shrill quality to it).

Mastering-wise they did a great job from the original Grunt master tapes - the drums sound especially clean and nice. I have an original copy of the quad mix so not able to do a comparison to the original mix LP.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Just the studio albums. Previous reissue of debut using same cut as original, 2018 Euro reissue using GZ press of Bazza Alchemy cut for Demon Days and Plastic Beach used original cut, second variant where first disc has machine stamped BB…. Optimal matrix but second disc has BA… hand etched Optimal matrix. The other three are just standard stock from originals. Quite expensive for just a box. Most recent two slightly warped also.

landerstnkb and Neonbeam like this.
  10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident Thread Starter

I have played the first of the two discs and it was perfect. Nice packing and inner sleeves, too.

tengram likes this.
  11. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

My Lou Reed Set The Twilight Reeling is flawlessly pressed and sounds very nice. Very happy with my only RSD purchase today
    [​IMG]

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have only sampled these two so far but they seem to sound really good. Really happy to get the the Dr. John and very cool trifold cover but not sure who this person is in the deadwax. The CSN&Y is remastered by Chris Bellman at Grundman studios and cut by CB in deadwax. It was fairly inexpensive, that's why I grabbed it. Will be listening to my scores throughout the weekend and will give better feedback. If a Dr. John fan, don't hesitate on this one. My store only got one copy but I was first in line and did not arrive until 5am, my kind of RSD...could have gotten what ever I wanted, but it's been such a crazy year with great records getting released and I have plenty on preorder. I'm kind of proud of myself as Jazz is my favorite genre, but have bought so many Jazz titles already this year, I decided to go with other types of music this morning.

Kind of a funny story, I get home from RSD and my wife tells me, even when you are not at home or the local store getting records, you somehow managed to get another record while you were at RSD. MD just charged us today for my preorder of the MoFi 45 of Jeff Beck's masterpiece "Truth" which they are shipping out next week. Of course I just smiled and said that's pretty cool!

Swansong, petzmark, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  13. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Huh? The new Evans set is 3 LPs and 22 tracks.

14. MarshallMan

MarshallMan Forum Resident

Its very similar to Another Time. The recording mix is a bit different with piano center left, bass center and drums center to center right. The drums are up more in the mix too. Great drum sound on this one. If you like Another Time you will like Behind The Dikes. This release is Elemental Music instead of Resonance but I believe some of the same people are involved with both labels. Bernie Grundman mastering on both.

I have minor stitching in a few places on my BTD LPs but the music and sound are fantastic.

15. Biittner Hair Flyin'

Biittner Hair Flyin' Comfortably Dumb

Thanks for your comments about the King's X albums. I bought them online this afternoon and hope to have them in hand in a few days. I'm really looking forward to seeing the color vinyl!

Regarding your comment about the gatefold jackets, I agree. I don't like that their first six albums that were reissued or first issues on vinyl on the Metal Blades label from 2015/16 are gatefolds. Like you said, bulky and unnecessary.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

So far: Small Faces, Dylan, CSNY, St Paul, Dirty Knobs all sound great, no issues, more to come

Saint Johnny likes this.
  17. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Has anyone checked out the Roky Erickson tribute?

Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. ToothFangClaw

ToothFangClaw Forum Resident

The Sweet - Platinum Rare

Beautiful glassy gatefold.
    Inside: “Mastered for vinyl by Scott Hull at Masterdisk. Manufactured at Third Man Pressing in Detroit, MI.

Both records flat. Metallic Silver vinyl. Limited to 2000.

Sounds great! Overall quiet vinyl. Andy, etc. did a great job on this with some great unreleased outtakes. Well worth $36.

19. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

was really tempted to pick that one up! glad it sounds great. my local shop got 1 copy so glad you were able to snag one.

landerstnkb likes this.
  20. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Thoughts on the Monkees Missing Links series. Having these complete on vinyl is a joy. Some of the Monkees' best work is on these volumes. Vol 2 and 3 were always my favorite, and adding the extra CD only tracks to Vol 1 makes that essential too. They sound pheonomenal. The best mastering job I've ever heard from Friday Joe! so thanks for that. But no gatefold? Is this a Friday first? That's where the liner notes should be. First class job otherwise.

Davidmk5, siveld, Isamet and 2 others like this.
  21. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Second that on the sound quality and pressing. Very nice. I also got the yellow vinyl.

Crosseyed likes this.
  22. Fennario Joe

Fennario Joe Well-Known Member

This somehow got in my rather large stack this morning by accident. Am I an idiot or was this dumb luck? I'm not sure what it even is and have been to tired to investigate.

uzn007 and Saint Johnny like this.
  23. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

My Miles Davis Champions is flat, clean, flawless and sounds awesome!

24. ToothFangClaw

ToothFangClaw Forum Resident

Rory Gallagher - Cleveland Calling Part 2

Black heavyweight vinyl. Flat vinyl, but noisy. Recording is quite good. Printed inner with tracks and credits plus ads for Rory’s catalogue. $36 US for a single LP is robbery for this release IMO. Very lukewarm on this for these reasons. Quite annoyed that most sources noted this as a 2 LP set. I have to think most assumed this due to list price.

abescan, superstar19, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The Cure Wild Mood Swings.

Yeah it's a picture disk. At least the music is well above the noise floor. Cut by Miles.

Not their best album for sound. Still it's cool to finally have a copy.

jesterthejedi, Davidmk5 and jimhb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.