RSD 2021 7/17 (pressing/overall quality review) *second drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jul 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If it gets up above ~140 F - which it probably doesn’t. The sun reflects off the white surface and the air does circulate to some degree.

LeaveItTubeBeaver likes this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

It's excellent, from 2005, and includes mainstays like, "Crazy As A Loon", "Some Humans Ain't Human" and "Clay Pigeons". I have it on CD and thought this was the first time on vinyl but there was an LP release. It must not have been a large run as they are selling for around $300 on discogs. This rerelease is the "Irish Edition" with green and yellow vinyl. And it isn't expensive $25.95 or so with free shipping! I got my order in!

AnalogJ likes this.
  3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

They'll get all wavy and they just won't play, just won't play, just won't play no more.

Gardo, AnalogJ and LeaveItTubeBeaver like this.
  4. Doc Scott

Doc Scott Forum Resident

I completely agree. I’m a lifetime John Prine fan and avid vinyl collector, so had to have this for the rarity of it, but $30 and only 8 tracks?? With so much great Oh Boy! material to choose from, this was puzzling to me. They could also have included more in the way of liner notes and maybe some new photos, but nothing here but a short blurb on the cover. This is a nice sounding pressing on red opaque vinyl and mine was flat and quiet, so definitely a keeper, but it left me wanting more.

sonofjim, hhjack and lazydawg58 like this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

My first copy of Bill Evans purchased on 7/17 had all three discs dish warped. I ordered another copy hoping for a better result. It came in the mail today…and all three records are warped. Ugh! I’ll keep one and get rid of the second, but what a hassle.

vinylshadow and AnalogJ like this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sorry to hear it, pal. Doesn't Resonance use RTI?

CBackley likes this.
  7. CBackley

This release was from Elemental Music. I’m not familiar with them. I emailed their customer service, and they weren’t surprised about the warped discs. They also said there are discrepancies on the tracklists as printed on the jackets.

8. AnalogJ

Oh. I thought it was a Resonance Records release. I wasn't paying too much attention to it. I have no idea which plant Elemental used. I'd bet that it wasn't one of the major ones.

9. CBackley

Some press in Canada, apparently. It sounds like they had a bad experience.

10. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Did they offer to do anything in response or you just have to live with the issue?

11. CBackley

They said they would send replacement records. Very quick communication.

TheSeldomSeenKid and captouch like this.
  12. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Very nice, glad they’re standing behind their product.

CBackley likes this.
  13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I noticed the tracklist issue when I played my copy, I was a bit confused at first until I looked at the labels on each LP.

CBackley likes this.
  14. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Just cracked open my Lou Reed - Set the Twilight Reeling.
    All sides look like absolute garbage...scuffs, fine scratches, swirls. Terrible.
    Just like pretty much every Optimal pressing with those "poly-lined" inner sleeves.
    They REALLY need to sort this out!

Thankfully the awful appearance of the surfaces are almost completely silent, and this is an amazing mastering. I don't think I've ever heard Lou's guitar work sound so present and full. Dare I say an "audiophile" Lou Reed LP?!

Karmageddon likes this.
  15. Xander2017

Xander2017 Forum Resident

I finally had a chance to clean and listen to my two RSD second drops.

Ani DiFranco S/T :

Both LPs are flat and quiet, but side C/D had excess flash around the outside of the LP which doesn't impact playback. This sounds fantastic, and I hope really she release Little Plastic Castle for a future RSD.

CSN &Y:

This wasn't even under consideration until I read what everyone was saying about it on the Saturday. My local store still had a couple of copies the next day, so I was able to pick one up. It sounds wonderful, but I found the opening for the LP in the gatefold to be the tightest I've ever experienced. I have a hard time sliding it back in. Mine is the European pressing

16. Remlap

Remlap Compass Point

I purchased The Circle picture disc, fair pressing for a picture disc. Little surface noise and relatively flat. Perhaps on the quiet side which would be in keeping with the lack of surface sounds.
    Sound has that ‘off the television’ vibe to it but it’s live and a good listen.
    It’s also a nice looker which adds to the overall package for me.
    Shame there isn’t a couple of extra tracks.

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The only Elemental Music record I own (last year's fantastic Jimmy Giuffre 3 & 4 set) was pressed, and cut in-house apparently, by GZ Vinyl. Can't check now but I don't recall having any issue with it.

Dignan2000 and AnalogJ like this.
  18. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

Here is an update on a title I’ve just opened from Drop 2:

Cat Stevens - Harold & Maude soundtrack

I managed to get this from my favourite local shop about 4 days after the drop but it has sat unopened this entire time. Funnily enough, the stores shared a post on sonically media saying they got two copies and I was lucky enough to get one of them within moments.....

I finally opened it and cleaned it last night and I am very thrilled.

It was a UK-only title but I managed to get one and I am certainly not disappointed.

I ended up with an orange copy (there was a yellow variant as well) and it was pressed perfectly flat and almost dead-silent (the odd random pop here and there)

I’m glad it was silent though - as this music is VERY quiet and intimate. Surface noise would make it sound like a campfire singalong. Haha.

The record came with a download card and was housed in a nice thick cardboard sleeve that wasn’t too tight. No static issues here.

I’m quite thrilled with the mastering. As mentioned, it seems very dynamic but also quite quiet in some parts. The EQ’ing seems pretty good - nice and warm. But I did notice that the vocals seemed a bit “recessed” in the mastering. The stereo imaging is superb and the record itself has gorgeous labels of the flowers.

No complaints here. Another perfect pressing from Drop 2.

19. AnalogJ

I'm still waiting to play it. My wife wants to hear it (I really got it for her), and with the Olympics on, I don't have too much spare time other than to watch it (or get outdoors to bicycle when the weather is good).

Karmageddon likes this.
  20. Karmageddon

Haha. I literally just tested it last night in my studio to see how the quality was. I also bought this mainly for the wife (I’m a huge CS fan tho!) and now that I know it’s good, we will be listening to it today as we anticipate our 3rd wedding anniversary coming up on Tuesday.

You and your wife will not be disappointed. Sit back with a nice beverage and close your eyes. :)

AnalogJ and lazydawg58 like this.
  21. AnalogJ

What type of beverage do you suggest pairs best with it? ;)

jacchank likes this.
  22. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gavaxeman and Karmageddon like this.
  23. Karmageddon

I was going to suggest a Gin and Tonic - but those brews also look tasty.

24. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

25. CBackley

That’s all!?

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.