RSD 2021 7/17 (pressing/overall quality review) *second drop*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Jul 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I got to listen to this all the way through last night. First, it is $10 over priced. But I got the first one, and Rory is one of my all time favorites, so this was a must have. This is a radio show, and throughout the years there have been many radio shows that were recorded and not released for various reasons, many because of sound issues from the recording. My copy plays pretty quiet throughout until the songs Pistol Slapper Blues and Banker Blues come on. That's where the constant tics come in for a bit and then goes away. My wife looked at me and said that is really weird sounding. And then it came to me, this is not the pressing, its in the tape and I'm sure if this was done on CD you would hear it to. Other than that, I'm happy as heck I got this. The version of "Laundromat" is the best version I have heard. Rory's playing on this is absolutely incredible and another highlight is Lou Martin's keyboards. The sound overall is actually pretty good. Damn, that man could play a guitar!

If anyone gets a copy of this and does not have the same issues on the two songs, please let us know. I would rather be proven wrong here, but this truly sounds like it's in the tape/recording.

2. agn

agn Forum Resident

I got two of them. Only 750 made! It sounds perfect. I love Harold's music. So sorry this was his last. R.I.P.

uzn007, tengram and boboquisp like this.
  3. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I second that. Great pressing, solid mastering. Not an audiophile record by any means, but sounds good I would say. Bass is a bit soso and I am wondering why. My first gues would be: mastered from an original copy. Would great if someone would know any detail about the remaster process...

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Dr. John "The Night Tripper" The Sun, Moon, and Herbs. 3 LP Run Out Groove (3000) and mastered by Jeff Powell. My cost on this was $49...

So we get this released the way it was intended to be and if a fan of the original record, you will be in for one heck of a ride through the mystical swamp from the mind of The Night Tripper. The SQ is excellent with a soundstage that just allows all of the instrumentation to swirl around your ears and just suck you in. I believe one of the songs from records 2 & 3 was released on some type of ROG compilation. These unreleased songs are fantastic and just turn this album into a stronger masterpiece than it already was. Just take a look at all of the musicians appearing here...

The trifold cover was done incredibly well, with lined inner sleeves and a 4 page insert with liner notes on the inside. All three records look great, flat and centered as can be. This is easily one of the best RSD releases I have ever gotten and so glad I was first in line (got there at 5am) as my store only got one copy, but no one else seemed to care one bit about it. Beyond Highly Recommended, and it looks like you can still pick this up at a fair price, if a fan, I would not hesitate one bit.

5. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

OMG, I hope that my copy is not like this. You are incredibly accepting of defects. To me this would be unplayable. Hopefully you can get these flattened one day. I am very happy that you are satisfied.

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The Cromags vinyl looks pretty cool. It reminds me of a lot of the discs in the Ozzy Osbourne See You On The Other Side box appearance wise. Mine’s also pretty flat and quiet. I’m pleasantly surprised with the pressing quality.

The record needs to be cranked a bit to really open up. I find it a bit lacking in bass but overall it delivers the energy of the music quite well. It’s a fun record but this will be enough Cromags for me.

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

My review of the TAD - Inhaler reissue.
    First, I have to say, this has been my favorite TAD album for awhile. I love their earlier material, but this one certainly, for me, is the most consistent, and mature, of them all. Still get their wall of sound, but their arrangements were becoming better.
    Anyway, on we go.
    The album is on the Real Gone Music label, through WB/Mechanic. The jacket is a 100% accurate reproduction of the original artwork, including the inner.
    The vinyl is standard weight, 130-140g, and "mutt" colored clear vinyl. Mutt colored because it has splashes of many colors going through it.
    The vinyl plays pretty quiet, and I only heard 2 pops throughout the entire song list. I don't see any indication that it's a remaster, so I'm kind of wondering if it's a straight reissue (?) I have owed the CD version since it was released back in 1993, and I have to say this vinyl really does sound better. When you're not being assaulted by Tad's full of attack, the softer, airier passages really do have a nice mix. The bottom end is meaty.
    Never heard the original vinyl, but this is definitely worth the price of admission if you're a fan of Tad and the "grunge era". Definitely an underrated gem.

Beercallus, jason202, elgoodo and 5 others like this.
  8. webdoggy

webdoggy Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely. This is the only item I was wanting that didn’t get delayed. Very happy with it outside of the ridiculous $38 that it cost.

elgoodo and vinyl diehard like this.
  9. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Thai Elephant Orchestra is a fine pressing. Crisp OBI and the vinyl is flat and quiet. Moving onto the Roy Brooks 3LP.

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

only 750...and you took 2.

good for you.

samwise, Jeffreylee, Bijan and 6 others like this.
  11. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

The Dr. John must have been a hot seller this year, at least on this side of the Atlantic. The only copies available for sale on Discogs are two flippers in the U.S. and a whoooole lot of copies from the UK.

12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

:righton:

13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Of all the albums in the world that contain recordings of elephants whacking away at large wooden xylophones and metal gongs, this one is my favorite (was my second highest most wanted item of yesterday’s offerings, just second only to the WAR box.) :thumbsup:

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There's a seller on ebay right now with some copies for $59.99, which is only around $10 or so over original sell. I would bet these will be gone soon...

I realize this is about pressing/and overall quality, but I thought this was okay to post here since I did talk about that first...

15. badhorsy

badhorsy New Member

MTB - Consenting Adults!
    Was super excited about this one (I'm a huge Brad Mehldau fan). 3/4 sides sound absolutely flawless. Was absolutely gutted to find that side B is horrible off-center, to the point that track 2 is difficult to listen to...

16. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

War ‎– Give Me Five! The War Albums (1971-1975)
    If you think about this one, it's about dam time!!!
    United Artist put out some very crappy quality records, so just about anything they did here has to be better today. There hasn't been any other vinyl options other than old records for 50 years. At just around $120 it reminds me of the price for the Beatles in mono when it came out at around $20-$25 a record. There is only 5000 world wide, so it will be gobbled up fast.

It was put out by Rhino so it could be pretty good, it looks like pressing work was done in the EU looking at the inner sleeve design.

Maybe we can get more info from others that got it, Matrix # Pressing plant ID?

17. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

It is really nice too that a standard LP label was used. I just have sort of a thing against the "art deco" labels that seem to plague most every release this century.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  18. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Using and having a correctly made Reflex Record Clamp and knowing how to use it, this all would not be an issue. It will flatten the record to the platter regardless of witch side the record is played on a dished warped record. You can also use it sometimes to permanently correct this issue on a new records that are dished, by leaving it clamped on a platter for days. If you would like more info or talk more about the clamps and how to use them send me a PM.

However, it would be nice if they put this out with flat pressings. I have a feeling the records where packaged the way they where because of pressing issues that they caught after the fact. They might have found out about a bunch of sub par records, then opened up all the records to check. Maybe the ones they sent out where what they felt where the best of what they had.

Tracey and vinylshadow like this.
  19. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I don't even have an issue with the bottom end, no complaints from me, it's not exactly a sonic marvel but it certainly isn't offensive to the ears. Think I might play it again soon actually!

20. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Aretha Franklin - In Philly - Wow, this live set is astonishingly good. Musically. I ascended to the heavens when she covered Bridge, Jesus! Sound quality is exceptionally good as well, to be expected from Grundman!

Roy Brooks - Understanding - Just finished the first LP, great session which shows Shaw going off scale free at times, sound quality is OK, wouldn't consider it audiophile but a great set no doubt.

wbass, uzn007, ex_mixer and 3 others like this.
  21. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Oh - it’s not offensive by any means. I myself enjoy it a lot. It just seems to me that the bass is a bit “unnaturally” shy. Similar to the reissue of Jim Sullivan’s UFO by LITA. That’s why I am wondering, whether or not it was mastered from an LP.

Ronnieb likes this.
  22. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

How does the new Hot Rocks compare to the clear one (from the DSD files I believe)?

23. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

KMD - Mr. Hood (3oth Anniversary Edition) sounds really nice! First ever vinyl reissue of KMD's debut album. KMD was the first foray into music by the late, great MF DOOM (then known as Zen Love X) and his brother DJ Subroc. DOOM's flow is great. His voice is a little different since a few years after this album's release Subroc was killed crossing the Long Island Expressway at age 19, sending DOOM into a long depression where he developed alcoholism, causing the change in his voice that you hear on Madvillainy, Operation Doomsday, etc.

Fans of A Tribe Called Quest or De La Soul would really dig the production of this album. This reissue is pressed on purple, orange and clear tri-color vinyl and includes an obi strip. No insert or anything but just nice to finally own this one on vinyl. If you want a taste I recommend the track "Nitty Gritty" featuring Brand Nubian.

Brewbs, oddsbodkins and Karmageddon like this.
  24. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I keep going back and forth on that Brooks album. But it might be too late for that one.

25. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

I posted this in the RSD Drop Thread.
    "Aretha Franklin - Bright Banana Yellow vinyl, flat quiet pressing. Poly-lined paper sleeves are a nice touch. Finished listening to the first slab, enjoyable live record. The presentation is "vintage", drums , bass, horns and the rest of the ensemble are well balanced. The band is top notch! This is an A plus purchase.
    Harold Budd - Clear vinyl, flat pressing. I hear slight surface noise in the left channel, will have to clean on the nitty gritty. This has a nice warm tone to the overall mix.
    Studio One Soul - Clear Yellow, flat, quiet LP's (limited to 1500 copies) . WOW - this is one killer comp! Reggae versions of classic soul songs. Amazing recordings, well mastered, punchy warm dance music. May be the sleeper item from my haul."

Recent Listens

CSNY Alternate Deja Vu - A++ - Must own! As others have stated out of this world sonics.
    Michael Schenker Group - Live at the Manchester Apollo 1980 - Red Vinyl- paper Sleeves. Flat quiet pressing. Killer performance! Sonically a good period Live sound.
    Hot Tuna - America's Choice- Banana Yellow - Flat and quiet. Need to crank a bit, warm and balanced. Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.