RSD3 - Crosley 3" Record Player for RSD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DrewMeyer, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

It's a novelty item at best and an expensive one at that. IMO, not worth buying one.

2. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Can I ask where you got this quote from? Is there a FB group or something? I can't find this via a search. I'd like to see the "the stores listed above". Thanks!

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

The stores "listed above" were chains without specific locations. The link I don't have open any more, but it was found by Googling about record store day 2019.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  4. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Ten bonus points to the first person to get one of these and work up a protractor for a Baerwald alignment.

Madness, hi_watt, Big Blue and 3 others like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's amazing how much people are willing to buy stuff for which they have no actual need.

I'd rather have another album or two for the price this costs. Even if given to me, it wouldn't stay.

6. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Cool, now i can finally play my little bubble gum records.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Think how many music geeks could you surprise next Christmas with one of these suckers...! :idea:

8. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Haha my thoughts exactly:D

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Dan M

Dan M Well-Known Member

You can play a 3" record on a regular record player, right?

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. harby

harby Forum Resident

Can you play the label? That's how big these are.

The tonearm movement may be limited in the angle it can travel, especially if it is an automatic where the mechanism will return the needle if it goes into the dead wax area. You can see my avatar turntable is also not designed to approach closer to the spindle.

The tracking angle error quickly rises inside the 5" circle (60mm radius) of the inner LP or 45 groove. By 2.5" inches at a standard headshell offset, you'd need to angle the cartridge inward significantly, creating more skate force (which the anti-skate isn't designed to counter at that tonearm position).

To properly align a cartridge for the 3" disc area, you'd need to move the cartridge backwards in the tonearm slots by 1.5 cm (5/8" inch), while turning it facing outwards by 16 degrees more than a standard tonearm alignment.

In answer, probably not, or not well. You can see on this "normal" portable turntable how the tonearm is far in front of a line perpendicular to the spindle when it is near the center:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

13. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Oh lighten up. It's just something fun. No, it's not a Goldman Reference II. So what?

Most of the jokers here will happily drop $100 for yet another copy of the same album they already have 10 different pressings of. So not having the need never stopped anybody.

h46e55x likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

While I agree with the 2nd portion of your message, it nevertheless does not nullify my valid point about needlessly spending money on crappy devices just because... fully knowing it's going to either collect dust after very limited use or remain in the package for those who just want to display it.

E.Baba likes this.
  15. harby

harby Forum Resident

Also $69.99, with less wow and flutter, and when the transport takes a dump, you can still play USB FLAC or stream from your DLNA NAS:

[​IMG]

nosliw likes this.
  16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Does anyone know the name of that Japanese 3” single that was released today? I think it’s the rarest one… I can’t even find anything about it online. The store had 1 copy left and I was tempted but I really don’t think this is for me, it seemed interesting though.

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Update: it was Kyu Sakamoto “Sukiyaki” - some Japanese pop song from the 60’s, supposedly this was a Japan only RSD3 release today? so I’m not sure how it made it into my local store here in NY but now I kinda wish I got it! eBay prices are kinda nuts on this one and I don’t think many copies made it into the states at all…

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bwahahahahah! Completely haaarific sounding and batteries not included! It’s a Crosley! The engineers at Crosley must be the same people who design mall parking lots. I mean, how much is there you MUST try to accomplish building a TT? Number one HAS to be steady revolution to minimize wow and flutter. Crosley is lucky they get the platters to spin.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Rick Bartlett and nosliw like this.
  19. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

Anybody complaining about audio quality completely missed the point. This is meant to be a toy. The original format was manufactured by Bandai, a Japanese toy company.

On another note, my brother decided to buy one while we were in the store today and I was surprised with how entertaining it is. If you know what to expect, this thing can be a lot of fun.

20. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

My store only got a couple of these in and they were the first things grabbed up I swear. And none of the records. They told me they could still order the players after today though so hopefully I can get one soon. I'm fully aware of how bad it might sound! I know it's just a toy! Still need one. :crazy:

21. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

confession time I got one. sounds about as good as is probably possible given the format its silly but its cute and fun so what the hell.

BeardedSteven and LivingForever like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It looks cool, but I can't see the point...

longdist01 likes this.
  23. Well, I took the plunge and bought one on RSD. I haven't unboxed it yet. I don't expect much and bought it and a pack of records as a novelty. Undoubtedly, the records will sound better played on a real turntable with a better cartridge. It's too bad that it has only 1 speed, 33 rpm. If it were 45 rpm then it could play the 4" Philco Hip Pocket records. Those Hip Pocket records had amazing sound quality, often sounding better than the full-sized 7" styrene 45. There were also the Americom discs similar to the Hip Pocket records but were 33 rpm from Apple Records.

clhboa likes this.
  24. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

What's up with mall parking lots ?

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

AutomatedElectronics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.