Rubber Soul CD - Canadian Pressing Featuring Original UK Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by button, Apr 9, 2006.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That’s not uncommon with different pressings. I’d actually be surprised if that wasn’t the case.

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

OK, I recently acquired a Canadian CD manufactured by Cinram and it seems to have the same mastering as the Disque Americ, judging by the volume of the opening notes of "I Want To Tell You."

lukpac likes this.
  3. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

Brilliant thread! It's amazing that it took so long for the "error" to be realised, and it's so satisfying to see photos of the digital master tape.

I just received the Disque Americ Revolver and can confirm the longer fades and absence of digital silence between tracks.

It now sits alongside my Canadian Help and Rubber Soul CDs. I'll give the Canadian Let it Be a miss though!

Thank you @lukpac, kelhard and all others involved!

Dr. Winston Ramone and lukpac like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This is a fun thread, as I'd totally forgotten that the "discovery" of the 1965 mixes on Canadian CDs didn't happen until 2006. I figured we'd known since 1987 that those CDs used the original mixes!

5. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I guess the Canadian is now gonna be in high demand?

6. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

When I ripped the Revolver CD last week, there were only 27 matches on the AccurateRip database. Most common pressings of popular artists are into the thousands, so it's relatively rare.

The original longer fades and retention of tape noise between tracks are small differences from the common pressing, so I imagine this will only appeal to the very few Beatles obsessives on this forum :)

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, since 1990 anyway, as that's when the Canadian CDs were first released.

There was a post on Usenet around 2000 that mentioned the original mix being present on one of the CDs, but it was dismissed as being a bootleg.

8. Oatsdad

Oh - I'd not followed the Canadian discs closely enough to know that. I thought they were from 1987.

Guess I need to go back and read all 43 pages of this thread! :D

Adam9 likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

1999, actually:

Sign in - Google Accounts

10. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Canadian HELP pressing s well, but it's been released already in 2009 as bonus with MONO CD.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Help! and Rubber Soul stereo mixes included in the mono box have more tweaking than the Canadian CDs.

dunce, kiddo4, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  12. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

What kind of tweaks?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"Fixing" plosives, bits of noise reduction here and there, etc. Also different/more EQ.

Octavian likes this.
  14. I wonder—has anyone compared the stereo Please Please Me, Ask Me Why, and Don’t Bother Me released in 1988 on the Dick James CD with the later-released stereo CD’s?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Those tracks were taken from the Capitol tapes.

Best of Dick James Music Vol. I

Billy Budapest and Exotiki like this.
  16. I assume, then, there are mastering differences from the versions on the Capitol Albums Vol. 1.

17. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Time to hunt for the Canadian Revolver!

18. Probably not. Nobody except obsessives and collectors will be interested if the mastering is otherwise the same. For example, how popular are the Brazilian fold-down mono pressings of Let It Be and Abbey Road LP’s? Not very, because there is nothing actually different unless you are into fold-downs.

no.nine likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Agree. Unless I missed something, I see nothing that indicates the old Canadian CDs are substantially superior to the 2009s in the mono box. There are some differences but not enough to indicate the Canadians would be a notable step up...

20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The question was about Revolver.

Help! and Rubber Soul are still in demand. I consider them superior to the mono box.

ted209 and TimM like this.
  22. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I tend to pull out the Canadian copies I have of Help & Rubber Soul before I go to the mono box set versions....Revolver is my favorite so I'll be on the hunt to get a copy of this one. After listening to the samples posted above how can I not want to listen to the whole thing.
    Thanks for the samples lukpac!

ted209 and lukpac like this.
  23. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. Brings back some good memories, I made $500 in 2008 selling a couple copies of Help! and Rubber Soul on eBay, and all I had to do was visit a couple used CD stores. Nothing like being paid for a good time. :)

nickleb474 and Joy-of-radio like this.
  24. Scotophor

Scotophor Member

I find it interesting that the info in and linked from post #1023 seems to reveal that the error happened at Capitol Records in Hollywood, California U.S.A. rather than EMI UK as had previously been supposed.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It originated at EMI. Mastered by Mike Jarrett. Capitol simply copied the wrong digital masters when Capitol Canada requested them.

Mark H, Shawn and therockman like this.