Rubber Soul CD - Canadian Pressing Featuring Original UK Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by button, Apr 9, 2006.

1. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

I got the following times for my DA Help! from iTunes:

1. Help! ............................................ 2:23.360
    2. The Night Before ............................ 2:37.466
    3. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away ... 2:12.200
    4. I Need You .................................... 2:32.173
    5. Another Girl ................................... 2:09.333
    6. You're Going to Lose That Girl ........... 2:21.533
    7. Ticket to Ride ................................ 3:11.933

8. Act Naturally ................................. 2:33.426
    9. It's Only Love ................................ 1:59.466
    10. You Like Me Too Much ................... 2:39.800
    11. Tell Me What You See ................... 2:39.266
    12. I've Just Seen a Face .................... 2:08.400
    13. Yesterday ................................... 2:09.040
    14. Dizzy Miss Lizzie ........................... 2:54.426

Is this what you're looking for?

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Actually, just the total time which appears when the CD is first inserted into the player.

Thanks.

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

4. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

No worries Paul, so much Beatles info gets posted here, I think its important to keep things accurate. After hanging round here a bit you will see that there's a huge cumulative collection of Beatles knowledge amongst people who have been here a while. I't be great if this place gets a rep for Beatles knowledge, you never know Apple may come knocking on our door one day! (well we can all dream.) :D

5. munson66

Tee-hee! Were they ever? ;)

I was at the campus paper at Ryerson in '88, and I do remember a review copy of Diamond Sun arriving in the mail. We wouldn't have anything to do with it, of course. Capitol didn't send us anything good. But man, did we get some tasty platters from Virgin Canada in those days.

6. Interesting, so people have been talking about this since 1999.

How come we didn't know about this? Most of us probably purchased the 2 CDs back in the day and had no reason to ever replace them. Plus being that these discs are the George Martin remixes, I never listen to them.

7. munson66

Oh, that's different. Never mind. :D

I get 34:26.

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

9. munson66

I can't find my Rubber Soul -- indeed, about half a dozen of my Beatles CDs are currently AWoL, along with an old Gene Pitney comp on Rhino, a Mike Nesmith 2-fer, and who knows what else. Somebody went on a road trip and didn't put things away when he got back! :eek:

I can't comment on RS, then, but the Canadian-pressed CDs seem not to be labelled the same way as the West Germans or the US pressings.

Of the other Canadian pressings (all stamped EMI Manufacturing), here's the spine copy I've got:

Past Masters, Volume 1
    THE BEATLES PAST MASTERS • VOLUME ONE C2 07777 90043 2 4

Past Masters, Volume 2
    THE BEATLES PAST MASTERS • VOLUME TWO C2 90044

A Hard Day's Night
    A HARD DAY'S NIGHT THE BEATLES C2 07777 46437 2 6

On the back cover of all three, we see simply C2 90043, C2 90044, and C2 46437.

I'm guessing that my AHDN and WTB are later pressings. Cap-of-Can must have upgraded its cataloguing system or something, because we're seeing the full 12-digit EAN on the spine. This format also applies to the Canadian-pressed Anthology 2 and :eek: 1 that come easily to hand.

The spine scans you posted don't strike me as extraordinary. They're in line with the US pressings of Revolver and Pepper currently sitting on my desk. The 2 at the end is a format code (1 for LP, 2 for CD, 4 for cassette). If you look at the bar codes on any Beatles CD (just about any EMI CD at all, for that matter), the number 2 is consistently the 11th digit in the 12-digit EAN. The five digits immediately to the left are the old-style catalogue number. Anything to the left of that is a label code; 7243 seems to have supplanted 7777 on many EMI records.

(I used to prepare bar codes when I worked in the production department of a kids' publisher. Our manufacturer code was 625816; every UPC code I made, for every book, started with those six digits. The software we used couldn't be automated to prepare batches of the darned things, so I could practically type 625816 in my sleep.)

10. I went to the link and read this last post on the page:

Goodwin used to hang out here . . . whatever happened to him, and did he report his findings here 2 years later (when the forum opened)?

11. cvila

cvila Senior Member

Here is a quick "cut-n-paste" FAQ from the first 11 pages of the tread:

12. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Ha, he still does post here see posts 48 and 104 in this very thread. Be nice if Lukpac still hung out here too, he and David did the excellent Stones faq Tho I don't kno exactly why he left!

JJ

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I recall Luke left because he had to be "right" mostly about everything. He was a very nice guy and had good knowledge but if you offered a differing opinion (even backing it up with facts) then it was almost like banging heads.

Todd

14. tootull

:D You didn't notice the jewel case colours? :laugh:

Extraordinary belongs to you, it would appear, in the form of this Canadian CD, that I'm now in search of. :realmad: Or does this all get canceled out with Capital2 set? :)

15. tootull

:angel: ...I did not know - thanks for pointing this out. Coincidence.

16. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Here's something ironic. About 10 years ago, at HMV, I noticed the Apple logo newly added to Beatle CDs, and asked if they had been remastered. I was told "no"...

17. munson66

Well, I took it for granted everyone knew about the secret reissue on Ryko. :laugh:

An interesting point. I guess if you've got to have this particular compilations of the tracks, from this particular master, then it's worth seeking out. I don't think I had the DA Rubber Soul, since my mp3 of "Run for Your Life" doesn't have a >pop< anywhere on it. So I might be on the prowl.

Indeed, I just popped into the indie record shop a couple of doors down (and a couple of floors below me). It used to be a Sam the Record Man outlet before the chain's demise; now it's called Mike's Music, and there's new and used CDs, along with some interesting antique furniture.

I figured the stock tends to move slowly, so maybe there'd be a DA pressing in the "new" racks. No such luck. There was a Canadian-pressed RS, but it had the Parlophone trademark statement and the EMI Music Canada logo printed on the lower-right corner.

Moved on to the used bin. Among the new arrivals, a copy of Help! for $11.99. My heart rose. I turned it over. My heart sank: it was a US pressing. Then again, I need one of those to fill out my hand, don't I? Because this won't be the stereo mix on the Capitol Help! in the Volume 2 box, will it?

18. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

19. Curtis

Curtis Forum Resident

Now before you start storming the used CD shops, in addition to munson66's rear scan of Help!, there's also an earlier issue by DA without the Apple logo. I suspect the same is true for Rubber Soul

Attached Files:

lukpac likes this.
  20. munson66

The common element between yours and mine is the Capitol trademark notice. This seems to be an indicator of a DA pressing.

I'm sure that Capitol of Canada were thrilled about having to add the Apple logo to this tray liner. Notice that everything else prints in black only? Nice and cheap -- only one pass through the press. :)

Then along comes that green Apple -- necessitating a four-colour print job! :eek:

I tell ya -- the Fabs giveth, and the Fabs taketh away. :winkgrin:

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I've read about these for awhile now, but have never even seen a pic of one. Are there any pics online?

22. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Sean, I think you may be on to something here. It's not so much that the Heisenberg Principle requires that a NEW VERSION suddenly appear out of nowhere when we further peruse the Beatles catalogue (as I half facetiously proposed), but rather that every time a new Beatles edition appears, all previous existing editions are susceptible to being examined in a new light, so that new things can be perceived that would otherwise have been ignored or overlooked had it not been for the new edition. In other words, a new edition may render all previous editions, or a particular edition, "different" (in a sort of Heisenbergian way) from what they had been. In most cases, the previous edition will be perceived in the same old manner, but in a very few cases, such as with these Canadian editions, something "new" will be discovered. It seems likely that no one would have thought to reconsider the Canadian editions if all the talk about Vol 2 had not taken place, and we would have remained in the dark. The problem is that at any given time, you never really know what may take place at some indefinite time in the future that would cause you to re-examine the status quo.

The lesson (if there is one) is that every time a new Beatles edition appears, it should be studied for its effect, if any, on how we view all previous editions. That happened in this case, and it led to the discovery of something new, in the form of the unusual Canadian editions now under discussion.

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I haven't read all 200+ posts, so what am I looking for? I have my brothers copy of the Canadian DISQUE AMERIC "Rubber Soul".

Looking at the image from post #1 only difference I can see is the matrix number around the silver band. This one is: 6TU/C2-46440. The disc doesn't have an Apple logo. The booklet has a gloss varnish on the outside (my U.S. version doesn't)

24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

And how does that make him any different from about 90 percent of the people here? :laugh:

lukpac likes this.