Rubellan Remasters Hype/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erick Haight, May 11, 2022.

1. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I've been waiting 38 years for that "Wish Thing" CD! Even without a single note of bonus mixes I'm quaking in need. And just saying… there are WORSE things than CDs mastered from 35 year old CDs! That "fruit-flavored label" is an umbrella for a vast amoeba of production that covers every sort of quality so it is what it is. Their mastering quality ultimately comes down to individual producers.

Gez likes this.
  2. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I just got the Missing Persons LP stock. I've checked one of each variation and at least they are centered. I will play them through and if all checks out then I will start shipping the original batch of pre-orders.

But get this, they couldn't let this go by without another major mistake. The delivery guy rolled out two pallets, which confused me. I'm looking at the second pallet and it's by a band called Holophonics. I asked if I could reject this pallet but he called his office and they told him I have to either reject the entire shipment or notify Precision of the mistake and they will have to set up a pick up time. So, now I have this pallet in the middle of my garage that I either have to leave there until this pickup is set up or I have to unpack it so I can move it to the corner to be able to get my car back in, and then repack it when they schedule the pickup. Oh, I'm gonna miss them...

3. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

To not have a Rubellan Release of the Final Studio Album from this Halloween Concert Legacy Band, would be Insanity and I would be screaming to Mary, Hey! What is the issue here. I Can’t See this not being released as would be Useless and I would demand a Changeo_O.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    longdist01 and bluedemon25 like this.
  5. Scott Davies

Yes, that is the exact album that I just unpacked and moved to a corner of my garage until the scientists at the plant schedule a pickup. Seriously, I should just dump it rather than be inconvenienced any further by these brain surgeons, but the band waiting for these didn't do anything to me so I'm not going to punish them because of this 'manufacturer's' latest blunder. If there is karma though, Precision will have lost another client from this. And I'm sure what I've experienced with them is only the tip of rather large iceberg.

6. Scott Davies

I see people are getting creative with their oh so subtle coded messages ;-) That early 90's album I believe is held by Warner. Not sure if it would be available for licensing but it would be a costly (to license and manufacture) double LP. I tried listening to it again recently. A very difficult album, but it was the early 90's and by then I was tuned out on the musical pulse, other than to hate on it.

Disco Robot likes this.
  7. TheSeldomSeenKid

Change, Insanity, Hey! & Mary are as good as it gets for me as Songs by Boingo, and think all of them were played on the released Halloween Concert 2 CDs Set, but

[​IMG]

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

Wanted to add I received my order of Oingo Boingo CDs today from @Scott Davies and all is good, including fast shipping, although think the only option for Shipping was to use Priority Mail. Hoping there will be a repress for the Nothing to Fear OB Album on CD, as I missed out on that one as was waiting for the repress for Only a Lad and Dead Man’s Party before placing an order for all 4 OB Albums on CD.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Scott Davies

The way the shipping works is 1-3 CD's can go first class but when you get to 4 and above it becomes Priority due to surpassing the 15 ounce first class limit. This is because I refuse to send CD's through media mail. I hear enough grumbles about cracked jewel cases through first class, so as a seller the last thing I'm going to do is allow that package to bang around USPS for several additional days. If I try to use any sort of cardboard packaging, it increases the weight beyond 4 ounces for 1 CD and 8 ounces for 2 CD's, which then throws things off big time for international orders.

The only issue with this is that if someone orders an LP, they do have the media mail option, but if they add even 1 CD it then defaults to Priority because the CD's don't have a media mail option. I've suggested to people before that if they want to mix formats but don't want to pay priority shipping, especially on the west coast, make a CD order and then an LP order separately. You'll receive two packages but you may save a few bucks.

10. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Scott, got the Split Enz album today (red haze variant) and this thing sounds sooo good!!

11. Scott Davies

I had it on repeat in the car for several days. I really like the title track and Double Reflection. There are a few others that are pretty good and then about half that I just skip. There is a generic AOR feel to a lot of the lyrics and some really bad chorus melodies that kinda ruin what otherwise would have been a pretty good song. It's certainly not Pinky Blue part 2 but I do agree the only thing it is reminiscent of their past work is part of Bite. I believe Johnny McElhone was the primary music writer in the original band and his absence is definitely felt. It's nice to see Clare release something new but it shows that, just like Siouxsie and the Banshees, the whole was greater than the parts.

Juggsnelson and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. Scott Davies

The repress of the Missing Persons 'Spring Session M' LP has arrived. Pre-orders will reopen on Monday the 19th with a release date of September 30. Options are the Magenta and Blue splatter & a Red and Purple mix. The red/purple mix on this batch is more subtle than on the rejected batch (see photo), but a nice alternative to the splatter.

For those who got their pre-orders in during the brief window in early July, you should either have received a shipping notice or will receive one in the next day or two. Thank you again for your patience.
    [​IMG]

13. JBozzioHam

JBozzioHam Forum Resident

wow, I prefer the red/purp subtleness cant wait to pre-order!

Going to skip on the magenta/blue - god I hate Team Mobile, that reminds me of them!!
    thanks for the options

14. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

My Split Enz vinyl arrived today 3 days earlier than the tracking promised. Everything in great condition. Nice job!

15. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

My missing person CD arrived well packaged and in perfect shape. Thank you for the careful handling and prompt shipping.

16. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to my red haze History Never Repeats and I love it! It sounds very good to me. It’s my second favorite Rubellan Remasters LP, but that’s only because Ultravox Three Into One is so amazing!

17. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the Missing Persons Spring Session M vinyl release as their three remastered CDs (with the box) are something I never thought would see the light of day (especially without any brickwalling!) and are a treasured part of my music collection. Thanks, Scott!

18. Dazbuff

Dazbuff Forum Resident

Let’s keep this going! Nothing for days! Scott, The latest? Clearances ? Maybe Ivan contacted you about reissues? Lol. Come people let’s talk !

Scott Davies likes this.
  19. Scott Davies

Nothing much to report other than work, work, work. I put in a 17 hour day yesterday and not much less on the previous days since the beautiful chaos began. My mind is racing and I'm feeling enthusiasm, to the detrimental point of getting up at 4-5 AM to start working because I can't stay asleep. But it's fine, it's better than waking up to go to work at a place that I have no interest in. My couch and TV-connected-PC are a more preferred working environment.

Powering through MP pre-orders in a way that's not overwhelming me from the other work. I've got the artwork done, for the most part, for all 8 new releases. I built my first tri-fold gatefold jacket this week and I have to say it's going to be awesome! I was originally going to try a thick spine sleeve to house the 3 records and an insert but opted for the more lavish tri-fold using what was going to be on the insert for part of the jacket panels. It is more costly but I figured buyers would prefer to pay an extra $2 for a tri-fold over a wide spine sleeve, I know I would. That one is going to be 1000 units with each of the 3 LP's a separate single color, not 500 x 500 two-color on that one. It already costs more to license and manufacture than some people make in a year.

I got a load of the master tape transfers yesterday, though they missed a few so I'm following up. One thing to learn is NOT to send tape transfer requests across a few messages because I have found they may only see 1 or 2 messages, and then comes the follow up about the missing tapes. I will admit that out of all of the songs needed, there are only 2 that I will need to pull from vinyl because the tapes are..., well, you know what happened in 2008. But it's great to see that well over 90% of what I need still exists.

And no, I don't expect Ivan is going to contact me about reissues. I suspect he's working on getting the rights back, and as I've found in most cases, when an artist does that they have little interest in third parties and prefer to do it themselves. Josie Cotton, The Motels, Skafish, and I'm sure others.

And I think clearances are done for a good while. I'll bug them again next year. Speaking of, it looks like I may get my vinyl out in February. The new manufacturer just expanded their capabilities so getting in this early might work to my benefit. I'm also supposed to receive my test pressings for the third pressing of the Boingo 'Only A Lad' LP today, and if all checks out they tell me production should commence very soon.

One thing about working with a boutique manufacturer is it's financially beneficial to break up the packaging order, meaning I can get my LP jackets done elsewhere for a considerable savings and buy my poly-lined sleeves in bulk from another place for about 1/3 of the price. I will be paying a much higher price for lacquer cuts and an increase in other areas, but I'd rather use a more passionate smaller facility where the owners actually care about their product rather than the fast food flawed mess of my previous manufacturer. Speaking of, they finally had that unknown stock they sent me picked up but it took a threat that I was going to put it to the curb for trash pickup for them to finally get on the ball. They've also finally sent all of my master plates for my LP's so I will be very curious to see the package, and hope they didn't just throw them in a box and render them useless in case I want to repress any of them in the future.

I'm assuming the announcement for the CD's will come soon and I should be starting on the remastering today.

ispace, Echo, jamesc and 8 others like this.
  20. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Boingo Alive WITH the cd exclusive tracks on lp? Just take my money.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ugh. That fruit flavored label has wrecked the catalogs of so many of my favorite artists and now The Fixx? So frustrating...

Scott Davies and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Actually Scott, those old Fixx CD's are something else :agree:. Better they use those than some bricked, EQ'd crap of a remaster.

negative1, Kristofa and longdist01 like this.
  23. JBozzioHam

JBozzioHam Forum Resident

I'm still listening to my needle drop of Shuttered Room, Lots of treble on the vinyl so all you have to do is drop it, increase the bass a bit and remove the pops and clicks, normalize and done! I use Total Recorder.

Cant wait for SSM, it should be here when and I can enjoy it while its still spring like outside. Thanks Scott!

negative1 and longdist01 like this.
  24. Scott Davies

I suppose but I will not give them a pass to use a 35 year old master when a high resolution transfer from original tapes is usually a very noticeable difference in detail and quality, if the engineer doesn't squash the heck out of it.

25. Scott Davies

I got (most of) my DMM plates today. Pretty groovy artifact, and I did have to find one of my turntables that could fit the width and see how it sounded. I'll leave the rest sealed in their airtight bags in case I want to use them in the future.

[​IMG]