Rubellan Remasters Hype/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erick Haight, May 11, 2022.

1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Can’t fathom why they’d print these jackets in Angola or Portugal or wherever.
    I’m sure there is a cost savings somewhere (cheaper labour?) but I would think shipping costs from halfway around the world erodes that down to nothing

longdist01 likes this.
  2. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

That one is definitely special!

longdist01 and Scott Davies like this.
  3. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Not sure if you saw the follow up but the Angola thing was a mistake from being sent the incorrect tracking info, they actually originated from Canada. As great as it would be to be settled in all aspects of the business by now, since I'm taking the indie route with the latest batch of vinyl, it's been another year in kindergarten as I see what works and what doesn't. Things like my variant stickers went great. I found a place that I do my submissions online and get my proofs promptly. The stickers were printed and I got them in hand in a couple of days, and they looked great. I found poly-lined sleeves in bulk for less than half the price the vinyl manufacturer wanted.

But then with situations like the one jacket shipment being poorly packaged and shipped has me looking towards another printer in the future. And when it came time to find a new vinyl manufacturer, I had it down to two options. One was very good at responding to messages and inquiries, the other offered a quicker turn time but communication was questionable. I ended up going for speed over communication and that was my mistake. There are two people in the chain at the current manufacturer who are awful at communication, and after I wrap the Boingo business up with them in the new year, that will be the extent of our business and I will try the runner up to see how that goes. It's like any relationship or job, you gotta find an appropriate match and this manufacturer is not a good match. The loss of a client comes down to two people and that's unfortunate for the other decent people within the business I've interacted with. You're only as strong as your weakest link, as the cliche goes.

If vinyl still remains some small part of the future, my hope is I eventually find a good combination like I have with my CD manufacturer. They are opening their vinyl facility in 2023 so maybe that's where I'll end up, but I can only hope that experience is similar to working with them on CD and it's not a big adjustment. Thankfully, options are available, it's just trial and error until you find the right fit.

4. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

I'd like that too, if someone with Scott's care and attention to detail could give these a proper remaster.

5. Scott Davies

The only other one from Universal is This Side Of Paradise, which I've had in the final clearance queue for over a year. So, maybe next year.

Here's a little project I did this evening, out of curiosity. My favorite Boingo outtake is called Teenage Monster from the Only A Lad sessions. While the master is in the Universal archive, I wasn't able to use it. BUT... I did have a master transfer that included the instrument backing track, so I downloaded the lower quality vocal copy from YouTube and tried my hand at one of those AI vocal removers online. I then took the isolated vocal track, adjusted the pitch to match the instrumental master backing track, and then layered it over to make what will likely be the best quality version out there. Pretty cool!

6. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Sounds good. Neat.

Sammy Banderas and longdist01 like this.
  7. bluedemon25

To expand a little more. I have none of the technical know-how etc that many many forum members do so take this opinion with a grain of salt. Maybe a mountain. But for what it's worth I found the listen enjoyable. I only listened on my phone I know gasp but I don't have currently any other alternatives so something's better than nothing for me. In my experience listening just on my phone I could not tell that there were two separate sources used. For me that's a large part of the ability to say hey this is enjoyable because it sounds like a very nice job was done to mix them such that if I were not told I would have thought it was just one proper official source. Nice job I'd be interested to see more if you play with that. There was discussion I can't find the thread now from another forum user talking about playing with the Beatles on a song sorry I forget which saying just some simple playing around aloud him? to get The voices demixed so he could separate them to whatever channels he wanted. It sounds like what I'm not sure I understand correctly nothing so technical that this is similar software? That user of which again sorry I can't find the post said that it sounded pretty good and looked like it did an impressive job even if not perfect separating. Interesting stuff. Thank you for sharing it.

8. Scott Davies

This is what I used to extract the vocal track from the lower quality source. When you click the 'Save' button, you have the choice of saving just the music, the vocal, or the original track. The results didn't sound great but when it was layered over the backing track it helped mask some of the side effects from the extraction process.

https://vocalremover.org/

9. Scott Davies

I've gone ahead and put in the new orders for the next pressings of the Boingo 'Nothing To Fear' and 'Good For Your Soul' CD's, these should be available at the beginning of the year. And it seems that manufacturing costs have risen yet again. With all aspects of the products and business increasing in cost (as it is everywhere), look at $15.99 being the new normal for new CD titles and represses in 2023. But hey, weren't CD's closer to $20 in the chain stores back in the 80's and 90's? I guess I'm still a bargain.

Steve O, snkcube, longdist01 and 7 others like this.
  10. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I can't imagine an extra dollar per disc would dissuade any of your most loyal customers from purchasing the titles they want, Scott, given your products' proven value for money. If it means you can stay in business, I'll pay it.

ispace, Dazbuff, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  11. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Yay! Just got my shipping notice on my first Rubellan Remasters CD. Missing Persons' Spring Session M -- looking forward to it!

12. bluedemon25

I don't think I saw this posted before so hopefully I may please ask here now. I know you had the wonderful vinyl split enz so the best of comp on vinyl only. Was that a personal choice or contract limitation? If it was not a limitation placed on you and if you are perhaps please how they sold would you consider putting it out on CD? I know at one point with a different group I think it was oingo you said (IIRC) And this is just paraphrasing not verbatim, but that you didn't do the Boingo alive because you felt no extra tracks could be added. But then later said something to the effect of you would see about getting it in CD anyway because of the demand. Perhaps similar for split enz?

13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I would also be a buyer for the Split Enz comp on CD.

14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I have owned the vinyl and One Way CD of this album along with the first EP on vinyl. The Rubellan Remaster CD is my favorite version of this material. Great sound. Great package. You should be pleased.

15. Scott Davies

I think I mentioned upthread somewhere that at the time I put in for the LP I released, I had also put in for several CD reissues. Since the LP came through, it leads me to think the CD's are in the final clearance queue. Recently, I submitted a request to do True Colours on CD, which I originally opted against because there is no bonus material for me to include, and because that 'remixed' version had come out fairly recently. But it seems that is already gone and there's next to nothing available on CD, so my plan is to make this catalog a priority in 2023 to see if I can achieve it.

That last reissue campaign was appallingly brickwalled. I recently compared some of those CD's to the master transfers I have from when I re-compiled the Best Of LP and it is night and day. The drums on the reissues sound like echoes compared to the masters, they are so squashed into everything else with excessive compression. The fact that a band member is to blame for those results is bewildering that someone working in the music business that long thought "This sounds great!" No, it doesn't. Hopefully, I will get an opportunity to rectify that next year. But of course, you always have to wonder if another label is already working on something, so if I manage to achieve clearances then you can be sure I will get them out within a month or two. We'll see how it plays out.

16. bluedemon25

Thanks for trying regardless of the outcome. I sincerely appreciate it.

ispace, Dazbuff and longdist01 like this.
  17. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I would be amazed if you could reissue the post-79 Split Enz catalog without those dreadful Eddie Rayner remixes! I snoozed on the 2nd OZ Split Enz box [but not the first one!] to my chagrin. Then Eddie started ruining everything! I still have my LPs of "True Colors" and "Waiata" but who plays LPs? I never bothered with the later ones but would want Rubellans of that run!

Bob C and Scott Davies like this.
  18. Scott Davies

I don't think it would be a problem, I got the Best Of LP without any outside interference so hopefully that would mean CD reissues as well, though I hope the bonus tracks don't become an issue. I think I'll send an inquiry soon, just to get the bug in the ear that these are on my priority list.

If you've stopped at Waiata, you are missing their best album, Time and Tide. I admit, I was late coming to Split Enz. I saw the videos all over MTV but never clicked with them at the time. It didn't start until less than 10 years ago when I investigated further and was intrigued... to a degree. The Phil Judd years don't really do it for me (although, I do love the lone Swingers album). At the time, the Rayner 'remastered' CD's were just going out of print and I managed to snag a few new while the others took some effort. I even managed to get their DVD video collection, regardless of how incomplete it is.

I will admit that I started remastering the album masters last night that I already have, if for any reason but my own use since all I have are the squashed discs. But if anything comes through then I will be prepared. I was kinda diggin' that Moroder-esque Disco instrumental from True Colours 'The Choral Sea'. I must have bypassed it since it was instrumental, but I was all into it last night (It's actually titled 'Spunk' on the master box).

As far as the later albums, Conflicting Emotions (1983) is mixed but with some great songs, though I think the singles, Message To My Girl and Straight Old Line, are the most forgettable. The last album, See Ya Round (1984), sounds rushed and unfinished. Would have made a better EP. It wasn't even released in America but it was in Canada and there is a master on the list, but I hadn't requested to do this one. Also, one of my favorite earlier albums, Dizrythmia, doesn't seem to be an option because, despite U having a master for the album, it seems it's held by the UK branch of Chrysalis, which is independent.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  19. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

A Split Enz Singles A's & B's collection would be great! I don't think there is any compilation like that 'out there'.

20. Scott Davies

LP jacket samples and test pressings to review for the upcoming Oingo Boingo LP reissues (early 2023). Dig that Alive tri-fold!

[​IMG]

21. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Looks amazing Scott!!

22. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

Cool…that’s gonna look so nice housing the Rubellan Remasters’ “Boingo Alive” double disc CD set!

Dazbuff, ispace, Juggsnelson and 2 others like this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Scott, you are brutal! Most bands would kill to have a single as "forgettable" as "Message To My Girl." :)

Also count me in for insta purchases of any and all Split Enz on CD. I was very tempted by the LP but just don't have much room for more LPs these days, whereas I've really been looking to spruce up my CD collection lately.

24. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

If you change your mind about the vinyl you will not be disappointed.

Scott Davies and Merrick like this.
  25. Scott Davies

That would require a digipak, I don't do those. Can you imagine how many people would complain if their digi spine got a bend in transit? No, I'll leave it to easily replaceable jewel cases. I may look at the idea of an O card/slipcase if I do eventually receive a clearance to do the CD, but that will depend on cost, which is only going up, up, up...