Rubellan Remasters Hype/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erick Haight, May 11, 2022.

1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

That was denied with the note that the UK are working on their own Kirsty releases. Whether or not that means Real will finally be released in full remains to be seen but I see no reason to let it languish any longer. I have GOT to hear it, and those masters aren't getting any younger.

jamesc and Disco Robot like this.
  2. Scott Davies

Later June will be fine ;-)

I just finished the webpages with sound samples. The site compresses them to MP3, but it's still a good idea of the final sound:
    https://www.rubellanremasters.com/tpereleases

ralphb, jamesc, Disco Robot and 3 others like this.
  3. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I've bought about 97% of the CD releases and am pleased every time. Releases I've bought without knowing much about the music include Trees, Krisma, Slow Children, and Peter Baumann. I'll definitely be buying the 2 That Petrol Emotion releases. Haven't bought any vinyl simply because I don't collect it and no longer own a turntable.

Holy grail for me would be the Payola$ albums.

4. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Seeing as a few users have suggested some albums they'd like to see reissued on CD, here are a few of mine (in artist order):

Blue Northern - Blue Northern (1981)
    Simon Byrne - Dream Crazy (1986)
    The Extras - Bit Parts (1981) / The Road to Zambando (1982) / The Watcher (1983) / Extropolis (1984)
    Intimate Strangers - Charm (1986)
    Scarlet Party - Scarlet Skies (unreleased 1981-1982)

Obviously I have no idea what the situation is with any of the rights/licensing for these, but I'd just like to throw these names out there at the very least.

5. Scott Davies

TPE's management is claiming Universal have no authority to authorize the reissues, stating the band's contract requires their approval for reissues. That would surprise me considering the era in which their deal was signed and the fact they were still an underground band. Generally, those sorts of clauses are part of re-negotiations for bands that have had more mainstream success. But I have just sent an urgent inquiry to both of my Universal licensing contacts to confirm that everything is ok, as I know reviewing contracts for such stipulations is part of the clearance process. I have invested a good hunk of 'non-refundable' money in the publishing and manufacturing of one of the two CD's so far, but I will hold off on the second until I hear back from Universal. What a load of BS either way this plays out.

hutchguv, ispace, patient_ot and 10 others like this.
  6. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That's got to be so frustrating for you. Here's a band who's albums you love enough to take financial risk and pour a ton of effort into creating a quality release with restored artwork, well researched tracklists and top notch sound quality and then the band gets all upset over the amazing results. If they'd actually take a look at your work so far, I don't see how a band could expect a better outcome for their work. If a major label were to do it, it would no doubt have missing or incorrect tracks, poorly reproduced artwork and brickwalled sound all put together by a bunch of people who have never heard of That Petrol Emotion and don't give two craps about them or their music.

I bought their debut album when it came out but don't think I've ever heard these two so am looking forward to checking them out. Fingers crossed that Universal didn't mess up with the licensing and you can safely proceed.

7. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

It surprises me not only how the labels but also some bands themselves seem to prefer to have their albums remain out of print.

8. Scott Davies

And it's just typical something like this comes up not only on a weekend, but an extended holiday weekend, just to keep the agonizing dragging on longer. I do hope Universal respond to this promptly rather than one of the many questions I've sent over the years that get no reply. But this is a situation where I do have the primary contact's number, and though the one time I tried to use it in the past it went to voicemail, I certainly see this situation as one that warrants dialing the number and leaving a voicemail if the email is not responded to in some capacity during Tuesday. And if it turns out to have been their oversight, I will be curious how they will address the thousands that have gone into the publishing and manufacturing so far, which does not include the advances I've also paid Universal for the master licenses on both albums. Not to mention the many, many hours I've spent over the last several weeks creating the artwork and webpages, and remastering the audio.

In the end, I think the artists prefer to have their reissues come out on what are perceived as 'bigger' labels, even if it means poor quality. How many times have Edsel had to recall and replace discs in box sets in recent years? And I've lost bids for indie licenses to Cherry Red, who then just used pre-existing CD sources from decades earlier repackaged in the 'new' releases. I think the last things the artists concern themselves with is the integrity of researching for best available sources, and proofing everything multiple times to try to ensure a near-faultless product. They just seem to think bigger means better. Or that nothing is better than something in which they didn't have total control. So I hope no one kids themselves that running a reissue label is a privilege in which everything moves along smoothly. It is the bumpiest road I've ever traveled, and those who have followed the last 5 years from the fumbling start of this thing know that all too well.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    hutchguv, somnar, Surly and 16 others like this.
  9. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I hit "like" despite the fact I don't.... so sorry to hear this news scott!!CRAZY to think that decades after these albums were recorded that said bands/artists would'nt appreciate any recognition.....especially at such a high quality you give them!!maybe this will all work out....I hope so for their sakes!

10. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

Do labels ever provide high quality files of the artwork or are you on your own to source it yourself?

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

As did I, and never heard these two until this week because of talk of Scott's reissues, and have to say that Chemicrazy might be their best, fierce, noisy and filled with hooks. Hope these come out.
    Much luck to Scott on this.

jamesc, longdist01 and Scott Davies like this.
  12. Scott Davies

I source it all myself. The only thing I really get from the labels is when I want an LP label template when I'm trying to recreate an original design. In most cases, they've recreated them for their own reissues so I get access to them when I need them. But original album art from 30-40 years ago, I'm on my own. For the TPE reissues, I only had the CD's on hand so I bought both LP's off eBay to recreate from higher quality sources.

murphmanz, patient_ot, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  13. Scott Davies

I will remain somewhat optimistic. One person suggested that whether or not the band had such a stipulation in their contract, they could still owe Virgin/Universal loads of money from unrecouped advances, promotion, etc. I know for a fact the expectation for Chemicrazy was big and it didn't sell near the amount that was hoped, so they were dropped from the label. So even if some sort of stipulation is in their contract, it likely doesn't come into effect until the loss is recouped, and Universal have the right to recoup those losses through licensing. Another suggestion was that I shouldn't even respond to such inquiries (and this is far from the first), that if these niche artists think some sort of breach has occurred then let them pursue it while I carry on with my work.

hutchguv, Farmer Mike, Surly and 11 others like this.
  14. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Bingo. I think you hit the mail on the head. TPE were never going to shift major units, even though "Chemicrazy" was as close as they ever came to that status. My perception of that was a hit album in the "alternative" market niche. And Virgin dropped them even after the best sales they would ever have and "Fireproof" was out on Rykodisc. It just might peeve the band members enough to see UMG licensing to recoup knowing they'll never see a cent and try to block it from spite. [rolls eyes] I think your conclusion is the correct response to this posturing.

15. davers

davers Forum Resident

Following up on your Real Life post, I picked up Heartland on CD about 15 years ago and heard somewhere that it was issued directly by the band. Does anyone happen to know if that was an authorized version, i.e. does Curb only control the US market?

ispace likes this.
  16. ralphb

Hey Scott, probably a bit off the grid for Rubellan, but have you ever considered doing The Bongos Drums Along The Hudson album? I think the band owns the rights and it more than deserves a proper reissue.

17. davers

davers Forum Resident

The Bongos were fantastic! I believe there were two prior reissues of Drums Along The Hudson on CD...any thoughts on those?

18. ralphb

Never heard either, but they're out of print as far as I know.

19. Scott Davies

I do believe it was authorized, as I seem to recall at the time when it was coming out (and I grabbed a couple of copies) that the band mentioned the fight it took to finally get it out. They financed it but I can't say how many copies were pressed. It seemed to come and go pretty quickly. I also remember at the time there was talk of them also doing Flame, though it never materialized. As far as the rights go, I think it's all a tightly held mess. On iTunes, Heartland is listed as Curb Records/David Sterry, so he clearly managed to get at least some sort of ownership of it. But when you switch to iTunes Australia, Heartland is not there at all. I vaguely recall those years ago there was definite animosity between artist and label and I suspect that hasn't really changed.

hutchguv, longdist01 and davers like this.
  20. Scott Davies

Can't really say it's crossed my mind. I am familiar with the band but likely only their 'big' song.

ralphb likes this.
  21. Scott Davies

I saw on the master list that Universal have the Fireproof 2 inch multitracks and 1/2" masters, so perhaps they went as far as financing that 1993 album and (apparently?) when they received it they rejected it, and then the band released it the indie route. That would likely also add to any potential balance due, and that could be considerable. I won't expect to hear any reasons back to my double-checking I sent today regarding the clearances, more so than just a confirmation I'm still good to go (hopefully). They've always seemed pretty thorough with the clearance process, which is why these can take so long. Reviewing contracts and other details is not something I expect they take lightly and are just randomly pressing either the green or red button and hoping they chose correctly. There are some other details surrounding the manager's contact that I'm sure are playing into this whole situation and I will reveal all of that at a later time, but for now I'm just looking at being assured I can keep the CD's on the July release schedule.

hutchguv, murphmanz and longdist01 like this.
  22. ralphb

That Drums Along The Hudson album is kind of a lost new wave/power pop classic, very creative and experimental within those parameters, and they were a fantastic live band.

Farmer Mike, davers, Echo and 2 others like this.
  23. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Runestaff (1985) is a forgotten gem. As is A Drop in the Gray's Certain Sculptures (1984). I made careful needle drops of both so I can enjoy in the car.

24. remover

remover Forum Resident

hope TPE stuff works out, instant buys for me. I always thought End of the Millennium Psychosis Blues was pretty underrated at the time. Been very happy with the great job you do Scott, on the stuff I've ordered from you, definitely rooting for you!

Scott Davies likes this.
  25. Scott Davies

I got a response from the US side today stating, as I expected, that this was an international clearance so they are reaching out to the UK approver to verify. Hopefully, I'll get the final word tomorrow. It's all in limbo for the moment. I plan on sending out a newsletter this week assuming my Boingo 'Nothing To Fear' LP repress, which I'm expecting tomorrow or Wednesday, checks out and I intend to include the news on the TPE reissues in either direction. One of the reasons I'm more forthcoming about all of the backdoor dramas, yet still with discretion, is because people seem to be enlightened by what actually happens with the whole process, and this would be the kind of stuff that would interest me as a spectator. If these end up on the scrap heap then it's just going to be the latest trial of running this sort of business, even from a niche standpoint. The crock is that if these get shelved, Chemicrazy is already being manufactured so I'd end up with boxes of stock for little more than my personal enjoyment. It's sad that I'm hoping there is some big outstanding balance from the band's time with Virgin that might allow these to proceed because I'm the first one in decades who have put forth the effort to revitalize this catalog and it's turning into a pile of horse s&*%.