Rudy Van Gelder Yelled at Me Today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madlove, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I think a lot of iconic musicians who recorded there got the same treatment. I read something once about a player who moved the mic a little bit after Rudy set it up. He got a similar treatment as you, with a "I don't touch your instrument, don't touch mine" kind of thing. And this was Coltrane or Sonny Rollins or similar giant. You're in good company.

RiRiIII, 2xUeL, Frippwire and 2 others like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Great story, great thread.

Madlove likes this.
  3. richy2times

richy2times Active Member

Rudy, time for your midday sponge bath...Yeah, we can play some Dexter Gordon.

Madlove likes this.
  4. richy2times

richy2times Active Member

All I gotta say is, I would love to be yelled at by Rudy Van Gelder! And his nurse! :righton:

5. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I'm with you on this one! It's rude to show up at his door uninvited. For all he knew, the guy could have been some nut job looking to blow him away!

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Got to agree.

(As a story it's interesting of course)

Lunna and Dublintown like this.
  7. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Great story; thanks for sharing... made me think of that Simpsons line "Release the Hounds..."

rob303 and Madlove like this.
  8. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

:agree:

9. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

At least you didn't try that with Phil Spector!

10. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

They didn't have to open the door. I certainly don't open up for strangers.

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I am just as obsessive with my heroes and would have done the same thing. Screw it, you only live once. You get yelled at, so what...lol.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You were told to GTFO by RVG. You could have had a worse day, so to that I say, glad you tried.

Frippwire and Madlove like this.
  13. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that about one year ago, I did try calling the studio, to try and arrange for a possible tour. At this time, I wasn't too aware of Rudy and his reputation. A woman answered the phone and I asked if I could schedule a time to come over, I'd love to see the studio. She said hold on and I heard her call for "Rudy!" A man gets on the phone and yells "What do you want from me!?" This sort of threw me off, so I just said "I don't want anything from you, I just wanted to say thank you." He then seemed to soften a bit and said "Oh, well, OK, that's alright then." Then I said goodbye and that was it. So technically, Rudy and I had spoken on the phone before, so my unannounced visit a year later is justified. ;)

Rupe33, RiRiIII, Cassius and 3 others like this.
  14. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

NPR's Susan Stamberg interviewed Rudy in 1993,stating that it was indeed a pilgrimmage.She identifies the buliding as a shrine.It's available on the NPR archives.Interesting notes about the ground rules of the interview,including no questions about mikes or placement of mikes.Susan clapped her hands into her portable tape recorder to sample the studio's famed sound.Rudy grabbed the recorder and erased the sound,with Mr. Van Gelder needing time to calm down from the incident before the interview could continue.1993-Mr.Van Gelder not yet 70 and very much involved in his work.
    One can type in the address of the studio,445 Sylvan Ave.,Englewood Cliffs,NJ,into Google Maps and see the building in the distance past the driveway. Simple signs posting of the "445"street number and"Personal Driveway.No Turn Around".And yet,for many here,the epicenter of modern jazz.No matter what criticism one may have about Rudy & his work,more jazz history took place there than in any place in the world.Throw in Rudy's work at his folk's house in Hackensack for good measure.

2xUeL likes this.
  15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Is this the studio building?

Google Street View

It almost looks like a witch house, between all those office buildings, with the trees around.

16. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field Thread Starter

That's it. I'm sure the area looked a bit different in 1959.

17. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I prowl used bins for Rudy Van Gelder Remasters. I buy them when I find them usually with no idea what the music sound likes.

Madlove likes this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'd like to see a thread titled "Buddy Rich Yelled at Me Today".

:D

19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

There is this film ...

By the way, great thread and good for you for trying to see the studio and Rudy! He should be glad that his studio and producing still matter to so many.

RiRiIII, 2xUeL, Madlove and 1 other person like this.
  20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Meanwhile, back on the West Coast, another legendary engineer is upgrading his perimeter's cc TV ... just kidding! ;)

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

its funny how people come down on one for asking for autographs from musicians one admires but then seem to think its cool to make an unannounced call on a 90 year old man in his home..

personally i think its cool you tried to visit him (not going to lose sleep on whether it was rude or not) but i don't want to hear one word about how terrible it is for me to ask a musician for an autograph at a show i've paid money to...

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Next up time to call Lou Donaldson and speak in incomprehensible English :D

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  23. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

[​IMG]

24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I sincerely hope that Rudy had EVERYTHING he knows written down while he still had the strength to do it, because I have a feeling that it may be too late now. It would be great if he surprised us with a big, big book. Or, maybe I'm just being selfish :cry:
    Whatever he decided, I still love the man!

25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

expecting somebody to pickup a car?

e.s. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.