RUMBLE: The Indians Who Rocked the World (documentary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's being broadcast on the PBS program Independent Lens for those having trouble finding it.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Hello there. I have been sporting this avatar for a couple of months now. :)

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

BTW I spoke with the french co-producer and distributor, and they are well aware that the documentary itself doesn't cover all of Native Americans' history with popular music -they had to make heartbreaking choices in cutting some parts to keep the length under 2 hours. They have hours upon hours of fantastic interviews and, if the film does well, they plan on releasing them one way or another.

mw1917, lightbulb, Kevin55 and 2 others like this.
  4. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I noticed this film is also available on the free streaming app Kanopy. All you need is a current membership at any public library.

lightbulb and MisterBritt like this.
  5. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

This looks fascinating. I'm glad that there's more artists than just Redbone.

Captain Groovy and Greenalishi like this.
  6. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up. For those of us who cannot watch it tonight on PBS, it is also available on Amazon. If you're Amazon Prime ... it's up and ready to go for free!

Amazon.com: Watch Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World | Prime Video

7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I watched Rumble last night. Especially interesting was Charlie Patton's Native heritage -- which I hadn't known about -- and the way the music he was surrounded by growing up informed his take on the delta blues.

8. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I want to see this. At one of Steve Van Zandt's teacher professional developments, they previewed this. They specifically showed Guardians of the Galaxy as the hook to get kids to buy in.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I watched last night and found it very enjoyable and informative. Link Wray, leading off the entire show, was the main reason I was interested, but I learned a lot from everything that followed.

As a huge fan, I was particularly pleased to see Howlin' Wolf get a nod (by way of Charlie Patton). They ran a good excerpt of his legendary Shindig! appearance, complete with Brian Jones' intro.

The takeaway — not that it wasn't something I didn't already know well — is that in lives filled with the greatest hardship and oppression, people will turn to music for strength and joy, and nothing anyone can do will suppress this instinct.

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I think the better question, in 2019, is, "why would the Cleveland Indians be?"

mw1917 and Kevin55 like this.
  11. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Raised about 15 miles from my house. He always said he was Shawnee but there are no Shawnee anywhere near here. The Cohaire are in the area, the Lumbee and several other very small tribes in the general vicinity. When I heard a recording of an interview his voice sounds like Lumbee. Either his family got here out of the blue or it is an example of just how cloudy Native origins can be over time.

YardByrd likes this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Finally saw this last night on PBS - fantastic! Was pleased to see Jesse Ed Davis get a lot of screen time.

13. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I can't wait to see this! Thanks for the heads up, Kevin!

I'm super fortunate to have been able to seen Link Wray, Jesse Edwin Davis (with Taj Mahal), Jimi Hendrix and Willie Nelson (who is part Cherokee- is he in the documentary?) and absolutely loved them all, so I'm thrilled to hear about this film!

lazydawg58 and Kevin55 like this.
  14. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

I would naturally encourage those of you in the states to watch on your local PBS station, or alternately on the PBS website for Independent Lens:
    Stream RUMBLE on PBS

15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Cool doc. Lots of interesting musical supposition. The Charlie Patton native heritage is particularly interesting and Important. The templet he was. Adding the native to his music is so Interesting.

Jesse Ed Davis and Mildred Bailey i didn't know. Hell of a solo by Jesse on Jackson Browns song. What an interesting important player i knew nothing about. Those Taj album i have never heard. i remember Gregg Allman said he heard Taj's, and therefore Jesse's version of Statbourogh Blues that he covered.

I loved the tone and style of Mildred Baily gonna remedey my ignorance of here at Aomeba today. Super cool singer.

Link i have a lot of and his stuff and style is what is my go to. Such a great player.

Didn't know Willie was native. Cool.

Gotta say the interesting thing on native music is i, unprofessionally hear similarities in lots of folk or native music all over. The throat singers emulated the river and nature so did native people all over. And cerimonial music too all over. So some similarites even without any connection seems logical. Even the Bulgarian choirs sound similar somehow to me.

Great doc. Seems to be a 'golden age' of interesting docs in music and otherwise now. This one is well done and interesting but not otherworldly. Loved it though. Brings out some interesting ideas and just the native part being so marginalized all the time this is a good way to bring it to the fore....

JoeRockhead, DJ LX and Brian Lux like this.
  16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

blastfurniss and Greenalishi like this.
  17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Link Wray part is the best part of the movie to me.
    He certainly deserves his own.

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. Gregg gave the Taj Mahal record to Duane, and Duane being Duane, he, apparently overnight, taught himself slide guitar from Jesse Ed Davis' take of Statesboro Blues.

19. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Also via pbs.org for a while. Unlike Passport, their prohibitive paywall( making folks pay to see what should be like their broadcast content-free). And unlike some alternatives mentioned,free,free,free,free. For a while.

20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Just saw it this evening and it was excellent! Highly recommended!

blutiga and Greenalishi like this.
  21. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Same with Ace Frehley.

Zoot Marimba and Greenalishi like this.
  22. Greenalishi

Yea, Hendrix being Native i actually never knew. That i kind of glossed over for the ones i had never heard of. But, man that is so cool. Just adds to it all with him.

23. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Saw it last week, along with a Korla Pandit doc.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Greenalishi

Loved that Korla Pandit doc. Well done. Interesting story. And he kept his act up till the end. You can look at it different ways. But, i kinda like that he kept it up. Also interesting he was really a great player but found a niche and milked it. I loved his jelosy of Liberace, this, would make a good plot or part of a plot in a film, i think. The guy who is jealous that Liberace stole his act and got famous. Priceless. The dj on that doc was pretty hip i thought. I listen to him on my local jazz station he is more straight ahead but in this case he like Korla and plays him even though it doesn't really fit the straight ahead jazz. Cool doc.

As an aside my local PBS showed these two docs in a row for a few days and then put a doc called Rat Film in there. That one was really a trip.

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I love Blackfoot, it was a superb band and at some pint 100% "Native American". "Highway song" IMHO is in top 5 southern rock anthems of all time...

But I wonder why Mexicans are not considered "Native Americans"...

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.