Run Out Groove: fan-driven, vinyl-only label from Warner Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Thanks. Super annoying that they're communicating date changes via Instagram, when they obviously could have (and have) done it through email - which is the appropriate way to do it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I can confirm that this was released today. I couldn't care about color vinyl (even though it would be cool to have), but I was shopping online today looking at new releases and I came upon a store that I order from quite a bit who had 4 copies available of the black version for sale (and In Stock). They now have 3 copies left - since I purchased a copy. And it is slightly less than list price. Here is a link to the set just in case anyone hasn't pre-ordered and wants to purchase: DEICIDE DEICIDE: THE ROADRUNNER YEARS (9 LP BOX SET)

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i have the red version on order from Indiemerch that says itll be shipping on or around may 19, colored wax mustve been a little held up

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

My red coloured vinyl boxset has not been shipped out yet. During the Sepultura's Roots boxset debacle late last year, I didn't even get any kind of notification until I got an automated UPS phone call that it was shipped (and a reminder that I have to pay duties, etc.).

I checked ROG's webstore and it says that they're "in-stock", but no idea otherwise.

5. nosliw

Never mind, I just got an email from Run Out Groove with a UPS tracking number. The package is estimated to weigh 6.8 pounds.

TongueDruid likes this.
  6. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Just got my shipping email now, too. Hopefully these blasphemous puppies sound gyud!

nosliw likes this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pretty bummed they stopped doing the monthly vote for a record thing.

8. nosliw

I have no idea what's going on, either. With customer service and communication issues, it seems like ROG is falling apart since last year and the fact that there are no more monthly voting tells me that there is behind-the-scene problems with the label that we're not privy to.

Stormrider77 and bmh5879 like this.
  9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

My Deicide box just showed up, shipped Priority Mail free from the store I bought it from. Opened and inspected all 9 LPs. Very clean looking pressing, all packed in plain black poly-lined sleeves. Nothing special about the covers. No lyric sheets and all the credits are included only on the foldout poster. One side of the poster is the cover of the box, the other as mentioned has information on all 9 LPs and the box set producers, mastering and LP cutting. There is an envelope of all 8 album covers as 7" square stickers. Now to start listening as soon as possible.

TongueDruid and nosliw like this.
  10. nosliw

I just got my Deicide red-coloured vinyl boxset as well.

For anyone interested, the audio was mastered for vinyl by Pete Weiss at Jade Cow Music Services and lacquer cut by Chris Muth at Taloowa Mastering. All of the albums were pressed at Record Industry in the Netherlands. Cover artwork for the first three albums and Insineratehymn doesn't look all that great as it was zoomed in from a lower-resolution digital source, which I own the first two original LP pressings and can tell right away.

I'll do my own audio comparisons soon whenever I have the time.

TongueDruid likes this.
  11. nosliw

Last night, I did a bit of my own audio comparisons between my original LP pressings of their self-titled and Legion versus the reissue boxset versions and here are my findings:
    • The self-titled seems to be cut a little more hotter than the original but is otherwise very similar to the original LP. Either way, it sounds better than the original CD, IMO.
    • Legion sounds more different between each other. The original has more bass and overall bottom-end versus the boxset, which the latter has more dynamic range at the expense of the bass, to my ears.
    I'll listen to Legion a bit more whenever I have the time and check-out their later albums, which I only own the original CDs as my reference point. I also have the 2010 Cargo Records reissue LP needle drop of Serpents of the Light and while it has more dynamic range than the CD, it suffered from serious inner groove distortion so I'm very certain the boxset edition should not have that problem. More to come.

12. TongueDruid

Just got my Marantz 2240 up & running again with new caps (so the top-end on it is back in full force) and also received the Deicide box today. Not the best A/B, I know, but I just quickly flipped back n' forth on the source knob (while trying to equal the volume everytime) using the new box vinyl cuts & the old CDs of the S/T, Legion, Once Upon, Serpents & Insineratehymn albums. These records are definitely the CDs cut onto vinyl, same exact EQ & compression on all of 'em as on the old CDs, from what I was hearing. Not even more transient info or anything poppin' thru. Which is just fine by me, I don't expect any audiophilia master-tape source stuff goin' on with Deicide. A nice remaster would've been cool, but again, I didn't expect it/any revelations on this one. A remaster might've also shot us in the foot, which can too often happen... At least they're pressed beautifully, and they do sound "correct." I had the Cargo LP pressings of the S/T & Once Upon albums years ago and I remember A/B'ing those and promptly sold 'em because they recessed the high-mids/top, making the albums a bit less harsh, but also noticeably less exciting sounding compared to the old CDs. Less piercing but also less energy & detail, more hazy, and not any better in the low end or mids. So this box is an upgrade compared to those, for me.

I don't wanna complain but I do agree that this set was a missed opportunity in the packaging dept. No lyrics or photos or write-ups. Whatever, fiiiiiine... But it would've been really cool to have a gatefold of Once Upon The Cross and have Jesus laying there all splayed out on the table inside the gatefold, as it is in the CD booklet, so when you open up the gatefold the blanket is being pulled off of the corpse. :bone:

Anywho, great pressings & worth it if you just wanna crank some classic Deicide on LP, especially if your vinyl playback system sounds better than your CD system. Nuthin' more, nuthin' less!

13. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Since Run Out Groove is subdivision of Rhino, I have a feeling they may be doing away with it in place of the new Rhino Audiophile series that was recently announced.

14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Now that the "vinyl back-log" is mostly over, I hope they hit the ground running!

I'm still pissed that the Mutemath "Armistice" album didn't win when it was up for voting, even though it was in the running TWICE - which usually means someone higher up wants it to happen, and that they have the elements ready to go - initial vinyl pressing of that one is going for over $200, if you can find it! And I know the demand is there. So I hope it happens through Rhino.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Run Out Groove and Rhino are both subdivisions of WMG.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  16. TongueDruid

I should add that when I A/B'ed self-titled album that I did so with the '98 remaster CD. I should really jump on getting an original CD since it measures much better than the '98... But regardless, for better or worse, from the sound of it I'd strongly wager that the new LP in the box set uses the '98 remaster as its source.

17. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

True, and I know that, but Run Out Groove is still a subdivision of Rhino. Rhino is the official “Legacy” division of WMG, so any reissues that happen start with them first. Run Out Groove was a label they created so that they could cater product to a specific niche market.

18. nosliw

I don't have the 98 remaster but now that you mention it, it would explain why it sounds hotter than my original LP for the self-titled. I'll have to check their other albums and do my own comparisons but I'm currently very busy. Pretty disappointed to know that they did not use non-compressed masters, though...

TongueDruid likes this.
  19. TongueDruid

Yeaaah it definitely sounds just like the '98 CD. I'm not sure how the original CD versus '98 sound against eachother. It'd be nice if the remaster were "thicker" than the original (i.e. - warmer in EQ) but considering you say "hotter" then it might be the opposite. The remaster DR measures at an 8 which is not horrific, so I honestly wouldn't mind if it had a nicer EQ at the expense of some dynamics. But yeah... Looks like I gotta hear me some o' that original 'Cide now!

20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

So here are the new Rhino "high fidelity" releases, Coltrane and The Cars...

Run Out Groove

21. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Interesting, they go our of their way to mention "Cut From The Original Stereo Flat Master Tapes By Kevin Gray" now…. and woe is me, I have the lowly 2010 reissue (Bernie Grundman) “...cut from the original analog masters", but damnit! They’re not flat!

22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Would definitely make for an interesting A/B comparison, mostly for the Grundman vs Gray match-up.

23. nosliw

24. nosliw