Run Out Groove: fan-driven, vinyl-only label from Warner Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 4, 2017.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

A title I would like to see them put out there for a vote is Drivin' N Cryin" - Fly Me Courageous, willing to bet it would win by a landslide and a perfect choice for the kind of titles they serve up.

They really need to start coming up with some better choices, heck, there is a reason some of their choices are out of print.

Juggsnelson and Paully like this.
  2. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Fly Me Courageous is on Island Records, part of Universal Music Group. Run Out Groove is a Warner Music Group project so they only have access to artists who are on their label or a subsidiary label.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I know that, but since it's been out of print so long, was hoping the vinyl rights were expired. No wonder they hardly ever come up with better choices...so that's how they grabbed the Baby Huey title. I never really paid attention to the origins of ROG...thanks for responding!

4. Brian Barker

You're welcome! I keep checking them each month to see what they put up. I bought several titles from them last year (MC5, Dream Syndicate, Stooges, and Morphine, but nothing this year. I almost bought the Luna but since I already have the CD I held off. I'll probably regret it later but that's how it goes when you have to prioritize purchases. There's a small store near me that has the Ministry Greatest Hits that I think about every time I see it, but again, priorities and I already have the CD.

It'd be nice if they could get a license for some other titles from other places, especially if their own labels don't have an interest in reissuing titles, they do a nice job.

spencer1 and scotti like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes they do and their packaging is nice. And I should be more clear on my statement as they have come up with some good tittles, like the one's you got. They just come up with a lot of odd choices though...How's the Morphine by the way, was looking at that one.

6. Brian Barker

scotti likes this.
  7. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

They've had some issues IMO (packaging and vinyl), and I've lost a bit of interest due to the problems I've expereinced. Really wanted these guys to be great.

That being said I may pickup the morphine yes reissue and the next scecret machines to see if they've solved thier issues.

scotti likes this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Could you give a bit more detail to the issues you have had? The titles I got have all been fine...thanks in advance.

9. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

unmelted pellets in vinyl, poor audio quality IMO compared to OG pressings , poor quality images used as artwork, that glossy paper used on the morphine looked pretty cheap IMO....

I hope to see better stuff in the morphine, I'll let you now Hopefully other people have more luck, and its just been isolated to me. But don't make any decision based off of me... buy some stuff you like and report back

scotti likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The last two titles I got from them were the RSD Baby Huey and the Solomon Burke, the packaging and sound were good IMO...but they are not really releasing a lot of stuff that appeals to me...very odd label...their idea is great, but something is lacking...thanks again!

varyat likes this.
  11. Really disappointed in the Stooges' Funhouse outtakes vinyl.
    It doesn't have the 'thunk ' of either the original CD boxed set or of course the original Funhouse vinyl.

DTK and scotti like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Sweet, and very shocking to see!
    I'm fine with my old compact disc for this one :laugh:, but it's cool to see being done :cheers:

nosliw likes this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The Bettye Lavette Muscle Shoals Session release is fantastic. I don't have those tracks on CD, so I can't compare the sound quality, but I'm really digging the vinyl.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    sfoclt, pghmusiclover and scotti like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

"Funhouse" is one of my all time favorites, had it since it came out and still listen to it quite often, just has a certain punch to it, that gets you going! Was very cautious when I saw that release, glad I stayed away...

zphage likes this.
  15. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have a few of these (MC5, Delaney & Bonnie, Dr John, Dream Syndicate, Beau Brummels,
    Gary Louis and Golden Smog) and I’m happy with the vinyl quality flat and quiet in all cases. I’m sure they come from files and from that perspective they sound good - nice Stoughton sleeves too. I hope they keep going and also I hope that the Fred Neil LP finally comes out

16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Oh, I have Golden Smog too. It’s nice. Pressed at Record Industry, if I recall correctly.

jlf likes this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Checked some other sites and the Morphine is getting great reviews. Check the 4 that are posted on Discogs, all raves! Looks like I'm going to grab a copy of this one....

18. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

I actually went to a local store last night to pick one up, and ended up leaving empty handed. The covers all seem to have the emulsion cracking on the edges and look as if they will keep getting worse over time. Similar to what happened on those last morphine records, I think they tried to use paper that has too thick of an emulsion for how it's being used. Anyway, too many problems with the past records to justify the $35 price tag. Had I not had such bad luck in the past perhaps I would have given it a try, but I'll stick with my OG pressing.

I pre-ordered the secret machines ten silver drops. I was willing to look past it being a ROG pressing since I love the band so much and collect most everything they did. Anywa, I'm really hoping its better than my past experiences with ROG but expecations are low.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    DHamilton likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well that stinks...but the feedback on Discogs sure looks good. I think I would have to special order this from my local shop, meaning I would have to buy it without looking at it first.

Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops, I still have a sealed CD promo of this I have been putting off forever, never heard this album except a cut or two when it was released and could not even tell you what it sounds like. I keep hearing how good it is and that I need to listen. Well, I will finally do just that today. If I like it, might have to get the vinyl as well as that is my preferred choice of listening. Glad you responded!

20. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

When is that Secret Machines album supposed to be in stores? Looks like the preorders are all sold out. Would rather another label of tackled this album but oh well.

21. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

I think it said it would ship in January. FYI I originally pre-ordered the morphine Yes from amazon, but they werent going to ship it until this week or next week. I went to local store as mentioned above and was going to cancel it when if I found a copy. But other vinyl specific places seemed to have had it on release day.

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have always been able to get their titles after the pre-orders at my local store, never an issue as long as I act upon actual release date. Was at my local store today picking up a few albums and was able to order the Morphine title for $32 and will get next week. Now of course they made 3500...how many of the Secret Machines are being offered?

23. Minafer

Minafer Forum Resident

They just announced it, I think its like 1771 or something like that. I feel that is similar to the amount pressed of the first SM record, which i think is still easy to find.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Paully likes this.
  25. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Well, the Morphine Yes sounds good mastering wise, but the sleeve is a blown up cd cover and there are some stupid mistakes in the text on the insert. And side 3 of my copy has some clunks of vinyl I can’t get off, causing plops on playback. So, there’s that.

Paully likes this.